bought me another car and focus going bye bye - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm sorry, since when was 305hp "not enough power"?

Nice car. Definitely on my short list for next vehicles.
Shame about those aftermarket tail lights though...

Also, before you tune and remove the speed limiter, please upgrade the driveshaft before you kill yourself.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm enjoying all the V6 comments. Yeah. Running 13's stock and high 12's with a tune and slicks is terrible. So terrible. They can also be bought new for under $20k.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I'm sorry, since when was 305hp "not enough power"?

Nice car. Definitely on my short list for next vehicles.
Shame about those aftermarket tail lights though...

Also, before you tune and remove the speed limiter, please upgrade the driveshaft before you kill yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
I'm enjoying all the V6 comments. Yeah. Running 13's stock and high 12's with a tune and slicks is terrible. So terrible. They can also be bought new for under $20k.
you can't touch a new V6 mustang for under 20k. sorry. nice try.

the only reason to not buy a GT instead of a V6 is money. thats really the long and short of it.

305hp is not enough power when for 8k more (assuming you can swing it) you can have the 420hp.

the fuel economy is barely better, if at all. thats cute, running 12s with slicks. WRXs/STis run 12s with a stg1 flash and a decent driver. btw NO v6 mustang with a tune and slicks is in the 12s. they run 13.9. shaving 1 full second is going to take more than slicks and tune. 0-60 in 5.3s, is decent. for an NA v6 it's a powerful car, don't get me wrong, but it's not a v8. and to me, and the majority of the car modding community, buying a pony car (mustang, camaro, challenger) with a v6 is just goofy. (ASSUMING YOU CAN AFFORD IT)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...um_first_test/

i'm not saying buy a v6 was terrible. but i'd rather have bought a GT. they hold their value better as well. the v6s have a higher depreciation than the GT. they are still nice cars. but if i had the money and could swing it i'd have gotten the GT. they are crazy fast for the money.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

'11 Mustang V6 with performance package should be right around $17k used, so yeah you can touch that for less than 20k.

It's really easy to get a V6 Mustang to run 12s these days. Bolt-ons + Tune = done.
http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-na...g-v6-runs-12s/
Little bit more than a tune and slicks, but I can guarantee he spent a lot less getting into the 12s than anyone with a Subaru.

If you think the GT's hold their value better you are dead wrong.
In 2011, a Premium V6 with Performance package + options was close to $27k -- 2 years later it books at $17k
In 2011 a GT Premium with Performance package + options was around $40k -- 2 years later going for about $25k

It's the difference in buying a loaded GT track-monster that gets you all the wrong kinds of attention and buying a daily drivable V6 with 305hp that will also whoop just about every sub $30k sports car around.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
you can't touch a new V6 mustang for under 20k. sorry. nice try.

the only reason to not buy a GT instead of a V6 is money. thats really the long and short of it.

305hp is not enough power when for 8k more (assuming you can swing it) you can have the 420hp.
I bought MINE new for $18,500. lol. It was advertised at $19 and change before I even negotiated. Pretty common to get then under $20k.

Correct, the biggest reason to buy a V6 is because they're cheap. This isn't a revelation to anyone. That's why I bought a V6. I've had friends get base GT's in the $27k range, but I didn't want to spend the extra $9k or so. The V6 was super cheap. I like to live below my means.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on the last part. 305 isn't enough because another car that's a third more has more power? I don't understand the logic.

Quote:
the fuel economy is barely better, if at all. thats cute, running 12s with slicks. WRXs/STis run 12s with a stg1 flash and a decent driver. btw NO v6 mustang with a tune and slicks is in the 12s. they run 13.9. shaving 1 full second is going to take more than slicks and tune. 0-60 in 5.3s, is decent. for an NA v6 it's a powerful car, don't get me wrong, but it's not a v8. and to me, and the majority of the car modding community, buying a pony car (mustang, camaro, challenger) with a v6 is just goofy. (ASSUMING YOU CAN AFFORD IT)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...um_first_test/
I averaged about 24-26 MPG around town and hit 29-30 mpg on strictly highway driving. Really not too bad. I don't know what's funny about 12's on slicks in a nearly stock $18k car. That's great that a completely unrelated car that costs more is running the same times. I'm not sure what that has to do with cheap Mustangs. I rolled a few WRX with my V6 on the highway. It was cute. If you doubt the times, head on over to the Mustang forums and start reading.
Quote:
i'm not saying buy a v6 was terrible. but i'd rather have bought a GT. they hold their value better as well. the v6s have a higher depreciation than the GT. they are still nice cars. but if i had the money and could swing it i'd have gotten the GT. they are crazy fast for the money.
I traded in my V6 for $17,000 after a year and 20,000 miles. I bought it for $18,500. So, in summary, I "lost" $1,500 after driving it for a year. I don't know, I don't feel that bad about it.

The GT's are awesome and the performance is unbeatable for the price. Just like the V6. Both cars are an incredible value for their price range. For the V6's, what comes EVEN close in performance for $20k? As for the GT, what's even close for $28k? Not a damn thing.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
'11 Mustang V6 with performance package should be right around $17k used, so yeah you can touch that for less than 20k.
It's really easy to get a V6 Mustang to run 12s these days. Bolt-ons + Tune = done.
http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-naturally-aspirated-2011-mustang-v6-runs-12s/
Little bit more than a tune and slicks, but I can guarantee he spent a lot less getting into the 12s than anyone with a Subaru.
If you think the GT's hold their value better you are dead wrong.
In 2011, a Premium V6 with Performance package + options was close to $27k -- 2 years later it books at $17k
In 2011 a GT Premium with Performance package + options was around $40k -- 2 years later going for about $25k

It's the difference in buying a loaded GT track-monster that gets you all the wrong kinds of attention and buying a daily drivable V6 with 305hp that will also whoop just about every sub $30k sports car around.
2011+ wrx with downpipe ($200) and accessport ($500) is running 12.6-12.8 depending on driver. on street tires. so yea...less than 1k and the car is in 12s. a car like mine, with bolt ons, FMIC, 1000cc injectors, and EL headers is a high 11 low 12 car.

both mustangs retained 62.x% of their value. it's a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
I bought MINE new for $18,500. lol. It was advertised at $19 and change before I even negotiated. Pretty common to get then under $20k.

Correct, the biggest reason to buy a V6 is because they're cheap. This isn't a revelation to anyone. That's why I bought a V6. I've had friends get base GT's in the $27k range, but I didn't want to spend the extra $9k or so. The V6 was super cheap. I like to live below my means.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on the last part. 305 isn't enough because another car that's a third more has more power? I don't understand the logic.

I averaged about 24-26 MPG around town and hit 29-30 mpg on strictly highway driving. Really not too bad. I don't know what's funny about 12's on slicks in a nearly stock $18k car. That's great that a completely unrelated car that costs more is running the same times. I'm not sure what that has to do with cheap Mustangs. I rolled a few WRX with my V6 on the highway. It was cute. If you doubt the times, head on over to the Mustang forums and start reading.

I traded in my V6 for $17,000 after a year and 20,000 miles. I bought it for $18,500. So, in summary, I "lost" $1,500 after driving it for a year. I don't know, I don't feel that bad about it.

The GT's are awesome and the performance is unbeatable for the price. Just like the V6. Both cars are an incredible value for their price range. For the V6's, what comes EVEN close in performance for $20k? As for the GT, what's even close for $28k? Not a damn thing.
i don't doubt the times. i've driven a few of them, they're fast. and if you're rolling a 10 year old bug eye with a catback and thinking you're hot shit i've got news for you...you aren't. my wifes jetta can roll a stock bug eye up and down the street. 09+ WRX is a different animal.

they are an incredible value. but saying that having a v8 is not ideal is ridiculous. the gas mileage is almost the same, the performance is better, the ceiling of the car is higher.

i didn't realize we were talking used cars. i thought we were looking at new 2013/2014 cars. not 11s. my bad, then yes they can be had for under 20k all day long. reading > me on that one.

is what it is. buying a v6 was a monetary decision and i get that.

and no 305 isn't enough...no amount of power is ever enough. i'm at 370whp/400wtq and it's not enough.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

btw i just read that link more...for the price of all those mods you could have bought a GT and ran faster. just saying.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
2011+ wrx with downpipe ($200) and accessport ($500) is running 12.6-12.8 depending on driver. on street tires. so yea...less than 1k and the car is in 12s. a car like mine, with bolt ons, FMIC, 1000cc injectors, and EL headers is a high 11 low 12 car.

both mustangs retained 62.x% of their value. it's a wash.
I'm not sure I'm getting the math right. So $26k for a WRX, then $200 for a dp and $500 for an accessport. So, $27k or so? I think the current WRX is a great value regardless of the ZOMG 1/4 bs. It's a very well-rounded car.

A NEW V6 Mustang is less than $19k, for sure! Again, I bought mine brand new for $18,500. There are numerous others that have gotten them for less than $20k. It's pretty common.

Quote:
i don't doubt the times. i've driven a few of them, they're fast. and if you're rolling a 10 year old bug eye with a catback and thinking you're hot shit i've got news for you...you aren't. my wifes jetta can roll a stock bug eye up and down the street. 09+ WRX is a different animal.
I'm aware the current WRX's are quick. I don't doubt it a bit. Funny enough, I used to have a bugeye and it turd slow. I still love that bugeye styling though.
Quote:
they are an incredible value. but saying that having a v8 is not ideal is ridiculous. the gas mileage is almost the same, the performance is better, the ceiling of the car is higher.
No one said the V8 isn't ideal. I'd love to have one. They're both great cars. The only advantages to the V6 is it's barely lighter, and significantly cheaper.
Quote:
btw i just read that link more...for the price of all those mods you could have bought a GT and ran faster. just saying.
I laugh at guys on the Mustang forums that spend as much on a V6 and stupid parts, rather than just buying a GT. We're on the same page. Modding a V6 isn't "original" or "cool." The timing lights at the drag strip don't care about cylinder count.

Generally, with drag radials, bone stock, a mid 13 is reasonable. On street tires and basic bolts and a shelf tune, mid 13's are common. There are people sneaking into the high 12 range now with slicks and a shelf tune.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

By your own logic, you've made the worst purchase in this thread by having a WRX.

You could've bought a used GT Premium with 420hp for nearly the same price you'd pay for a used 265hp '11 WRX Premium today.

Stop trolling.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
By your own logic, you've made the worst purchase in this thread by having a WRX.

You could've bought a used GT Premium with 420hp for nearly the same price you'd pay for a used 265hp '11 WRX Premium today.

Stop trolling.
I was thinking the same thing. But whatever, buy what's fun.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks