Mk3 Wheel Spacer Information - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #41
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Hey Dyn I've got an update:
this Saturday i'm getting my springs installed! (RSB too :) )
I also shipped the 30mm spacers back and am waiting for the 20mm spacers in exchange. Hopefully the 20mm's will arrive by the time my springs are finished "settling" (which is about 1 month - what I heard from a friend).

About the tires, the reason I asked is because I thought a thinner tire might allow for some extra room to help keep tire-rub from happening.

About going further or shorter:
so a thinner tire makes you go shorter than OEM/the car thinks,
a fatter tire will make you go further than OEM/the car thinks.
In any case, isn't this bad for the car in terms of accurately showing the speed, odometer, mpg?
And on that note, how does making a tire fatter or thinner affect the MPG/efficiency of the car?

Thanks Dyn.
I wish you would have taken me up on the offer to test-fit my 20mm first, but either way you should definitely fit with that setup. I still haven't seen the OEM tires, but I'm pretty confident in the numbers. Either way, I'm glad you're making some progress.

If you look at post #37, I've pretty much outlined the process for changing tire size based on fitment. A thinner tire definitely lets you push your wheels farther out, but you would be wanting a larger wheel size to do that effectively without making your tire bulge considering the fact that you're starting off with a 50 aspect ratio. If you went to a narrower tire, you would add to the aspect ratio if you wanted to keep your speedometer/odometer correct (within a degree). As an example, if you wanted a narrower tire and still have a correct speedo/odo without a recalibration, you might choose a 195/55R17. You would be (assuming the same tire brand/manufacturer) 20mm narrower at the widest point and still be within .05 mph at 60mph.

If you don't change the aspect ratio and go narrower, the whole tire becomes smaller. A 195/50R17 would be nearly 2 mph off at 60 mph (you would actually be going 58.14 mph). This is transversely true if you go wider without changing the aspect ratio to a smaller number-a 235/50R17 would be going 61.86mph when your speedometer says 60.

And in regards to fuel consumption, generally speaking you get better mileage with narrower tires and less mileage with wider. Granted, there are multiple variables in that, but if you keep all of the variables the same except the width it will hold true. Narrower tires have less rolling resistance, weight, and surface area to break the wind. Wider tires are the opposite. I don't think you should need to change tires if you've made the spacer swap.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #42
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
cool. i was thinking about getting some summer/performance tires and saving my stock contipro's for the winter. they were good enough in winter.

anyways can't wait to git' low and spacey!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #43
mishka
Focus Addict

i waiting for them to call me back rite now with the estimate
how muc would you say they would charge to installthe sportlines and the sway bar? thnks
Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #44
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
i waiting for them to call me back rite now with the estimate
how muc would you say they would charge to installthe sportlines and the sway bar? thnks
I can't really quote a specific price or cost, as different shops have different capabilities/experience levels. Get quotes from different places and weigh in your opinion of how the shops appear to you.

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #45
mishka
Focus Addict

best ive found so far is $400 for springs + rear sway bar. he said i probly won't need an alignment. it's an individual, not a shop. any thoughts? is that a reasonable price for installation?

Should I try to do the rear sway bar myself and save at least $50?'

thanks

Last edited by mishka; 05-24-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #46
mishka
Focus Addict

bump

hoping for a response asap... thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
dyn085
That Guy

If you have accesses to some hand tools and a jack/jack stands, save yourself the $50 and do the Swaybar yourself. That's still around the cost I would expect to hear from a shop, but if you trust the guy and his mechanical knowledge...

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #48
mishka
Focus Addict

its a friend of a good friend, but he says he has done suspension no mazda miata, and grand am, and some other car/s
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #49
dyn085
That Guy

Oops

September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #50
mishka
Focus Addict

update:
springs and rsb install complete. however ran into some very time comsuming problems.when i test drove the car it made a bad spinning whishing sound like metal, like beating an egg with a wisk in a metal bowl. especially when i turned right. anyways the guy who did the work took 2 days because after the car was "ready" and I had that bad noise, we found out the front left strut bolt (there is only 1) was loose. the strut bolt supports the brakes/rotor from slipping down off the strut. It was loose - and apparently he did have to take on/off those bolts during the install. So the bolt was all chewed up (10.9 gauge) and he tried to repair it by grinding it down with a tool kit we he bought at autozone . it didnt work , after a whole 1.5 hours... and decided to just needed to replace the bolt. had to wait till next morning but he found the bolt -supposedly the same exacty one - and fixed taht. but wehen i test drove the car it still faintly made the noise so we checked everything again for like an hour and decided to try doing alingment and miraculously Merchant's was open and they for $10 checked my brakes/alignment and they checked the noise and fixed it for free. turns out it was a dust cover behind the rotor which was "dented" or something. he fixed it and no noise wahtsoeever. the car is great!

bad thing is that I basically let my friend's friend do the work and it ended up sitting for 2 whole nights (1 night on jackstand) and I didnt didnt finish up at Merchant's till like 4:00 pm today. he started working on the car early Saturday morning... and on top of that he lived was out of town about an 2 hours from home.

The other crazy thing is.. i found out that when he called me and my friend to and said "the car is ready" - it turns out that he test drove the car , before calling us to say it was ready, and heard the noise and heard it get worse but decided that it was "normal" even though he knew its a brand new car (7,000 miles).
And I didnt get back to my car for a couple hours and the car could have been fixed rigth away but he didnt say anything was wrong so...
his excuse was that said he thought it was a "warped brake rotor" and said that it was "fine and nothing to worry about".

anyways he was wrong... but it just sucked that he messed up the strut bolt and didn't realized the dust cover was messed up slightly ... all that made it so hard to trust him... and the whole journy was just a headache

I sort of regret not going to a shop because this was pretty stresssfulll for me... i may have over reacted at first but it was tough to go through.

Anyways I ended up paying $390 to install the springs and rsb and have a $10 Merchants check . they also said I need alignment so I will need to get that done I guess. But I don't notice any missalignment when I drive.

ohhh booy . I t's just a huge relief to have Shawdowfax back in working oder and performing beautifly.

Also sadly I got a speeding ticket omw back home... 89 in 65 going down a hill.. bullsquat!

Bookmarks & Social Networks