Rear Motor Mount - Page 34 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #331
turbonium911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106996
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 87, Level 1
Points: 87, Level: 1 Points: 87, Level: 1 Points: 87, Level: 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 turbonium911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So after the past few weeks of reading all the forum posts on the RMM viability and supposed improvements that members have seen with it, I decided to finally bite the bullet and see if I could get one installed for myself. As part of my 48k free oil change/maintenance I went in to the dealership to see if they would be willing to change it for me as they'd be down there doing an oil change anyway.
Mechanic was asking for the full labor rate of $125 for a 10 minute job. Man that blows. So I decided, what the hell might as well learn to do this myself.
I've never been underneath a car, but I'm quite handy with tools and common sense (tool in itself).

Got myself 2 jacks, 2 stands, 4 wheel chokes a torque wrench and T30 driver.

First thing I did was f'k up part of the plastic underneath/beside the driver mount point. Stupid Michelin hydraulic jack slipped off the mount point and cracked the plastic side fender. Thankfully its not visible from any angle except from looking from below. On try #2 used a piece of wood to offset the jack point inwards onto the chassis for both driver and passenger.

I followed the steps shown in this thread (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319739 , Thanks ShoOff for the excellent write up) to get to the RMM. The one thing I noticed is that for some reason all my bolts were 15mm! Although the head size has no bearing on the diameter of the bolt thread itself, it's still damn weird, I hope they haven't made this kind of mistakes else where. I also found one of my Christmas-Tree Clips which I lost in the bowels of the car while doing the snorkel delete a few weeks back, Score!

All in all an easy 1.5 hour job, 50 minutes of that getting the car up onto and off the jack stands. I must say though not having a car lift makes it that much harder to screw off the bolts and torque with 55 lb-ft of force after, as you have maybe 1.5 feet of clearance at most to work with on your back under the car.

After getting everything cleaned up took the car out for a test.

Immediately I knew that this was the best decision to I've made in modding the car.

No more hesitation of the line, no more shudder, no more rubber band feel when coming to a stop and taking off as soon as you stop. No more "clunk" noise when pressing the peddle down hard. Basically its all gone!
Best of all no noticeable vibrations at all.

I love it!

I'll give it a few weeks to break in and I'll update on it, but in so far as of driving it for the past 2 hours, it feels like a new car. This is considering mine is a 2012 Job 1 bought way back in August of 2011.

Thanks to all the members who have posted their info/write ups and opinions! Without your posts I may never have worked up the will to do this!

Rock On!

Edit: Btw this is the mount I ended up using. http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfm-performan...-focus-st.aspx
It looks very similar to the E-Focus RMM me thinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #332
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,563, Level 65
Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonium911 View Post
Edit: Btw this is the mount I ended up using. http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfm-performan...-focus-st.aspx
It looks very similar to the E-Focus RMM me thinks.
It is the E-Focus RMM, but they charged slightly more than you can get it for from either Village Ford (a site sponsor) or the former Tousley Ford (now Autonation Ford White Bear Lake or something).
Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #333
turbonium911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 87, Level 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Ah okay. Yeah I'm in Toronto, Canada. When I talked to Tousley as well as a couple of Ford dealership parts departments to acquire the E-Focus RMM it was coming out to a slightly higher price than what I paid for it as the shipping costs were higher through them. So I paid about $90 after shipping. $100 shipping for RMM through Ford and/or Ford dealerships. Also when I bought it, it was on "sale" for $49.99. Thanks for the clarification Suss6052.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #334
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
So after the past few weeks of reading all the forum posts on the RMM viability and supposed improvements that members have seen with it, <snip>!
Next time get a set of floor ramps man. It does not sound like you were that comfortable using a jack. You do not want to sandwhich yourself.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #335
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Next time get a set of floor ramps man. It does not sound like you were that comfortable using a jack. You do not want to sandwhich yourself.
This.

After my bad experience with this car jacking it up. I'll be investing in some ramps.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #336
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,563, Level 65
Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Ah okay. Yeah I'm in Toronto, Canada. When I talked to Tousley as well as a couple of Ford dealership parts departments to acquire the E-Focus RMM it was coming out to a slightly higher price than what I paid for it as the shipping costs were higher through them. So I paid about $90 after shipping. $100 shipping for RMM through Ford and/or Ford dealerships. Also when I bought it, it was on "sale" for $49.99. Thanks for the clarification Suss6052.
With shipping from the U.S. to Canada that may be the case.

In that case it seems like you got a fair enough deal as long as you are happy with it, but the part is available from around $44 + shipping, so it's not that much more expensive for the part itself from CFM but it was still marked up as they are in business to make money and are not a charity.

CFM was cagey about where the part was coming from at first just saying that it was a Ford O.E. part, but reverse engineering from the part description lead back to the electric focus rmm CM5Z-6068-A.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #337
turbonium911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 87, Level 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
This.

After my bad experience with this car jacking it up. I'll be investing in some ramps.
Yeah. I've returned the hydraulic jack. I've jacked up my car before to change out a flat, but I didn't want to use the stock jack as its a PITA to get up compared to a hydraulic jack. I also had multiple stands at slightly different points as a safety measure incase one slipped out. My safety is paramount to the safety of the car which comes a distant second.
I only mentioned the stands as they were part of a Michelin jack/choke/stand set, but had borrowed a neighbour's jack stands as well.
I was thinking of getting ramps but the only place I could find them during my search was a ramp with maximum height of 9 inches which was far less clearance than I could get with jacks and stands.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #338
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

Points 947, Level 16
Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
I use a 4 ton floor jack and jack the front or back up at one time...

CFM mount is the same as Ford electric focus mount..
Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #339
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yeah. I've returned the hydraulic jack. I've jacked up my car before to change out a flat, but I didn't want to use the stock jack as its a PITA to get up compared to a hydraulic jack. I also had multiple stands at slightly different points as a safety measure incase one slipped out. My safety is paramount to the safety of the car which comes a distant second.
I only mentioned the stands as they were part of a Michelin jack/choke/stand set, but had borrowed a neighbour's jack stands as well.
I was thinking of getting ramps but the only place I could find them during my search was a ramp with maximum height of 9 inches which was far less clearance than I could get with jacks and stands.
I changed mine out on ramps with a creeper without an issue. Some tight fits, but nothing too bad.

Also, I find the stock jack easier to use, because there are slots built into the frame were the jack sort of locks in. It makes it hard to use flat surface jacks.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #340
infiniteloop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118503
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 infiniteloop Good Standing Member
First time poster here. Just wanted to say that this mod is the best thing I have done to my focus. I ended up getting the e-focus RMM and it just feels so much better to drive now. Took me about 1 hour to complete and the difference is amazing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks