Rear Motor Mount - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #171
ChalupaJones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110818
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 2 ChalupaJones Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looks good. Let us now how much nvh there is.
Military crew, Blue Focus Crew, Chalupa Crew #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #172
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
is the rmm a thing that can be installed by someone who doesnt really know what they are doing as long as I follow the instructions? I heard it is really expensive, labor wise, to get installed
Basically, if you can turn a wrench, you can do the RMM swap. There are 5 bolts--two to attach the RMM itself, and three on the bracket that connects the RMM to the engine block. You can't swap the RMM without detaching the bracket.

If you need instructions, you will need to buy an RMM from an aftermarket company such as Cobb, Steeda, etc. RMMs purchased from Ford or Mazda will not come with instructions. It's pretty self-explanatory, but I suppose you may require instructions depending on your skill level. If it hasn't been done already, an FF member should do a brief write-up on the swap so that less-experienced owners feel more confident installing the Ford and Mazda parts.

With that said, IMO, the Ford and Mazda parts have much higher value for the money spent--"bang for the buck", if you will--because they don't have the "bling" that the aftermarket parts have, such as anodized or powder-coated finishes and laser-etched logos. I've never quite understood why people want that "bling" on a part that can only be seen while working under the car, but to each his own. Higher-durometer (stiffer) bushings can be had with the aftermarket offerings of course, but the FFE RMM is plenty stiff for a daily driver, IMO.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Last edited by TboneZX3; 06-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #173
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
i've been wondering... is there a reason the ffe rmm is stiffer than non-electric foci? you would think comfort would be the idea with the ffe.
i am daily driver of my focus, but I like to race now and then.
the ffe rmm will help enough but still not introduce NVH?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #174
DerrekForreal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53921
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Hatchback - 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 DerrekForreal Good Standing Member
Quote:
i've been wondering... is there a reason the ffe rmm is stiffer than non-electric foci? you would think comfort would be the idea with the ffe.
I have the FFE RMM installed...Could you define "NVH" for me?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #175
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
The RMM is stiffer on the Electric Focus due to the higher torque and lower vibrations generated by the electric traction motor. Now why the ST didn't come from the factory with this or an even stiffer mount rather than the paper mache n/a mount is beyond me. I can literally compress it with just one or two fingers and 5-10 lb of effort, so imagine the pummeling it takes with just 148 lb-ft of torque, then amplify that to over 270 lb-ft of torque in the ST.

Of course there is now a service bulletin for the ST, but the parts are on national back order with no ETA for the transmission mount that's also to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrekForreal View Post
I have the FFE RMM installed...Could you define "NVH" for me?
NVH= Noise Vibration and Harshness, i.e. increased vibrations into the cabin through reduced engine movement may cause an increase in NVH felt by the occupants, but not really with the Focus Electric mount as it's not going to increase vibrations all that much over stock if at all.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #176
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
It isn't just the torque, it's also the fact that it's an electric motor that doesn't have the vibration a reciprocating engine has to begin with.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #177
ProjectCommuter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105046
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 ProjectCommuter Good Standing Member
I just did the swap. In my opinion it is a MUST DO! No difference in vibration but a lot in drivability, especially with a manual.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #178
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
IMO, yes. The benefits that the FFE RMM offers for hard launches, power transfer and improved drivetrain "feel" far outweigh the very slight (nearly imperceptible) increase in NVH over the stock RMM. You really can't go wrong with this upgrade for the $45-50 you'll spend.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #179
DerrekForreal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53921
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Hatchback - 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 DerrekForreal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
NVH= Noise Vibration and Harshness, i.e. increased vibrations into the cabin through reduced engine movement may cause an increase in NVH felt by the occupants, but not really with the Focus Electric mount as it's not going to increase vibrations all that much over stock if at all.
Thank you for definition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
IMO, yes. The benefits that the FFE RMM offers for hard launches, power transfer and improved drivetrain "feel" far outweigh the very slight (nearly imperceptible) increase in NVH over the stock RMM. You really can't go wrong with this upgrade for the $45-50 you'll spend.
Agreed! And to be honest, the "slight" NVH I noticed mostly went away within a few days of driving. I now notice it only at cold start..if then. The 'pros' -fun factor, far outweighs and 'con' -vibration.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #180
Borski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100013
What I Drive: 2012 Focus - Black - SE

FF Reputation: 1 Borski Good Standing Member
How are we sure this isn't the classic "mod placebo" effect? Is it really THAT noticeable on the manuals.

Sent from my HTC One X using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks