IE Tune initial review - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
IE Tune initial review

Last Friday I ordered the Injected Engineering "blank" Tuning Device for the MK3 N/A Focus and received it promptly on Tuesday in 2 business days but I must note I'm in JAX FL which isn't too far from their HQ in GA.

Let me start by saying this review is not to be bias in any way and is only intended to help people like me who were searching for tuning devices and wanted to see other people thoughts before taking the dive.

I would like to thank Aric @ I.E. who even though the shop was closed due to snow for the past 48 hours after I did my initial upload to their server, was able to deliver me my tunes POST business hours today. So I will say the customer service is far beyond excellent and also to the other employee Jeff? who answered my questions of dyno testing prior to buying.

My Focus is a 2013 Sedan SE with 5 speed manual tranny so I cannot help those in search of DCT reviews BUT if you want to know more read on... Also the only modification I have is a Spectre cone filter which is enclosed in the stock airbox (with resonator delete) but is not a closed ended filter like stock.

I filled my car with 93 octane this afternoon after being down to 10 miles left on range and the car took 11.8 gallons of 93 octane gas. With that being said I obviously loaded the 93 octane file into my PCM. The PCM rewrite only took maybe 40 seconds max and it will scare you by your car saying low battery and then flash the interior lights but no worries all is well. When I started the car post tune it did its normal warm up routine but I can say off the bat it felt a lot smoother and sounded different, healthy if you will. I let the engine warm to operating temp. (its 52 degrees here currently). Backing from my parking space I noticed the engine did not bog at all while feathering the clutch which is what I hoped for from previous reviews. Taking of in 1st held the same results and shifting to 2nd at approx. 2000 rpm the car deffinetly had more low end torque which made things less herky jerky at low rpm.

I then proceeded to drive around 10 miles in a normal fashion appreciating the smooth take offs and the added low end torque which reminded me of my long gone MK6 GTI, just not AS much. After that I did some mid rpm pulls from stop lights to about 4500 rpm which is where you can feel a nice linear pull of torque come in, much more than stock and smoother coming on. After a few more miles I went to a street Im familiar with that has no housing due to new constructing of neighborhoods. I came to a stop in the road when no one was around and lightly launched from 2500rpm with TC off. The tires broke loose lightly and as they caught full traction I went to WOT and the car surprisingly pulled smoothly and at the sweet spot of 4400 rpm it pulled hard all the way to 6000 rpm where I hard shifted to 2nd with a much longer chirp of the tires. I stopped the pull at 60 mph which is roughly 6500 rpm.

I then pulled a U-Turn to the other direction and did another launch this time from 3000 rpm and immediately to WOT coming off the clutch. The tires broke loose aggressively and the car pulled hard yet again but this time I remembered the new 7200 rpm redline and I will tell you this, it pulls HARD all the way to that new red line and doesn't feel out of breath like it used to. Also being able to shift this much higher allowed the rpms to land roughly at 5000rpm which allows that nice torque curve to continue to pull the car to 65 mph at 7200rpm in 2nd gear! To compare the feeling of the rpms landing at 4400+ rpm after shifting its a lot like a K-series Honda with I-Vtec when you can land a shift right so that the engine stays in Vtec the next gear. Before the tune after a racey shift to second gear the engine seemed to loose a bit of power because the rpms were not near the max torque curve.

I then proceeded to drive home normally and allowed the car to idle for several minutes and I tested the throttle response by blipping the pedal a few times and it does indeed respond to input faster and revvs quicker. I did notice the radiator fans were running but I did just run my car through the paces just a few minutes prior.

SO the answer to the question you may have running through your mind like:

Is the tune worth the money? Does it really effect power? Will I regret buying it?

I can say it IS worth $400. for what it does to driveability alone.
It DOES effect power and as time goes on you may become use to it but flash to stock again and be reminded of why you did this anyways.
Will you regret it? Maybe, some will not and some will. I think the key here is not to come into the Tune with too high of expectations. This car is N/A not Boosted so the gains will not be OMG RACECAR!!! but your butt dyno will feel the extra power through the entire rev range.

I myself have had a Stage 2 APR MK6 GTI and I had a Diablo Sport 93 octane tune prior to my SRT-4 going big turbo and they will yield a lot more gain because they will increase boost PSI and until we have the capability of turbos for our once N/A Focus's this tune may be the best bang for buck mod you will do ENGINE wise.

I plan to next get a E-focus RMM to take advantage of the added power and decrease wheel hop and the rest of the slop in initial clutch engagement from stand still. I will also open up a build thread soon when I feel worthy and you may follow me there. I know that Injected Engineering is in the works on a 3" exhaust and CAI, so I may wait for word on their parts as I like to keep everything the same brand as much as possible.

http://youtu.be/A-zDzTHEFQY

Update 2/17/2014

I decided to try the 91 octane tune even though I had 93 in the tank. To my suprise the low end torque is much greater withe the 91 tune loaded. Maybe the 93 i had wasnt 100% 93 as theres only 1 nozzle for all 3 grades at the pump i used. The powerband feels smoother as well and pulls nicely. With the added low end torque my avg mileage went up 2mpg on my normal work commute. Im going to continue to use the 91 tune and load up with 93 when i need gas again and maybe switch the tune again to see if the differences are still there.

Last edited by 4mikebruns; 02-17-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
boombots
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 130266
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boombots Good Standing Member
Good review. Although I have tom's tune via SCT on my car, we share the same exact thoughts. A tune increased drivability a ton. Much more confidence shooting a tight gap on a highway on ramp now too.

Mods: K&N Typhoon, ST exhaust, SCT tune by Tom

-Vince
Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombots View Post
Good review. Although I have tom's tune via SCT on my car, we share the same exact thoughts. A tune increased drivability a ton. Much more confidence shooting a tight gap on a highway on ramp now too.
Does your car also rev up to 7200? It seems like tom's tune does not rev that high and I am tryign to figure out if he knows something Injected does not, as far as engine blowing up at that rpm's. I know tom want to make the tune safe, but shifting at 7200 would be great. I know he told me before he could make it go to 7k. Maybe tom can add to this... By the way OP nice review, seems like they got the tune down right
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
Does your car also rev up to 7200? It seems like tom's tune does not rev that high and I am tryign to figure out if he knows something Injected does not, as far as engine blowing up at that rpm's. I know tom want to make the tune safe, but shifting at 7200 would be great. I know he told me before he could make it go to 7k. Maybe tom can add to this... By the way OP nice review, seems like they got the tune down right
I wouldnt worry about taking the car to 7200 too much, there was a lot of time put into these tunes. I think the point of the increased redline is more for landing the engine back into the power band. The option is there to use it, you dont have to so itd be on the driver. I will say this, if you go out and redline your stock motor at 6500ish rpm the power will cut off like its hit the fuel cut. With this tune i noticed the motor now bounces off the redline like most cars would and it does sound wicked at just that much higher rpm.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
I wouldnt worry about taking the car to 7200 too much, there was a lot of time put into these tunes. I think the point of the increased redline is more for landing the engine back into the power band. The option is there to use it, you dont have to so itd be on the driver. I will say this, if you go out and redline your stock motor at 6500ish rpm the power will cut off like its hit the fuel cut. With this tune i noticed the motor now bounces off the redline like most cars would and it does sound wicked at just that much higher rpm.
People do tunes mostly for the added performance so I figured Tom would take advantage of this higher readline as well I know when I am ready to tune my car I want to be able to get the most performance out of my car while still being safe. I am pretty sure ur car would beat another focus that does not have the readline as high due to the power band in the next gear.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
spiikey1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111130
What I Drive: 2012, Focus Trend Hatch Silver

FF Reputation: 1 spiikey1 Good Standing Member
Solid review, I can say the tune has been wonderful, until i have a bit of dct issue. Though it only scraped twice i want to see if it will do it again, taking itfor a drive now.

The tune DEFINITELY feels like it gives the car much more acceleration and speed. I think it is the best mod for the car and I would probably advise it first. Similiarly i will be getting the E RMM to take advantage of this tune.

Couldn't agree more wtih you mike " is car is N/A not Boosted so the gains will not be OMG RACECAR!!!"
Gains are not going to be amazing and this little tuning device has been the most significant for me thus far.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

I made a video of a couple of pulls for you guys. they were done on my LG G2 and it was hard to hold the phone and shift and correct some torque steer from the shifts lol so I will post them up in a bit tonight up in the original post when i get home.

one pull is from 3k rpm in 2nd gear to the top of 2nd @ 65mph to show the redline and the other is from roughly 15mph in 1st gear to 6k rpm in third (85mph) and in that pull i bounced the redline twice on accident as i was looking thru the camera and it lagged the image.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-zD...e_gdata_player
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Video is private bro
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

http://youtu.be/A-zDzTHEFQY

Bookmarks & Social Networks