Where did I go wrong? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Enstar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112749
What I Drive: 2000 grey focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Enstar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Where did I go wrong?

Hello all.. Well I just recently purchased a 2000 focus Se with a 2.0L SOHC Engine. Upon getting it home I decided to change the oil, plugs and wires.. Before doing that I decided to run some seafoam through the vacuum line.. Used the stuff before and always been happy with the results.. So after smoking out the neighborhood I continued with the oil change and such.. after completion, got in, started it up and let it run.. within a minute or so of idling smoke started coming out around the catalytic converter.. So I shut it down to investigate thinking during the oil change I may have spilled some, but knew I didn't.. Got back in started it back up and same thing happens, so I thought maybe when I used the seafoam I didn't burn all the carbon out.. So I thought let me take it for a spin around the neighborhood and try to force it out.. Bad choice, it started running rough and engine light came on.. Got back to the house, popped the hood and smoke is coming out around catalytic converter again and now I'm hearing a crackling noise inside the cat. like there is a fire inside of it.. Eventually it subsides, so I grab my code scanner and get an error code P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). So my question is would the catalytic converter cause that code or could it be something else first of all and cat is just residual from that? If so, what steps should I take to eliminate other possibilities?? Thanks in advance....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
A cat will not cause a misfire code normally, unless the cat is plugged up in which case you will probably get a random misfire code. You probably need to check your connections to the plug on cylinder 1 and the connection to the coil and perhaps a bad tuneup part. Just cause they are new doesn't mean they are a good part.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,650, Level 78
Points: 14,650, Level: 78 Points: 14,650, Level: 78 Points: 14,650, Level: 78
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
pull the cat it will run better, you may have cleaned out the engine but the crap cant get past the cat. being the age it was probably on its last leg anyway.
reason its idling rough is the cats plugged and there is too much backpressure in the engine now, also the reason its smoking and crackling,,, it is burning.
pull it and replace it or have a pipe made, problem solved.
Never use seafoam on a high mileage or old engine the way you did, you're asking for trouble. pour it in the gas and call it good letting it work SLOWLY, not all at once.
and never add it to the oil of a high mileage or old car, you will have oil leaks you didn't have.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Enstar
Focus Rookie

jetrinka, after I got the code of a misfire in cylinder 1 I thought the same thing and decided to use the old plug and plug wire to see if it could have been a faulty plug or wire that I purchased.. But no change, still ran bad..

GreenEnvy, I have used seafoam on vehicles with way more miles then the focus. It only has 97,000 miles on it.. So I thought no problem, but your right I should had just added it to the gas..The cat will be replaced, but would that trigger a misfiring cylinder code..
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,167, Level 34
Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
I have not ever and intend to never ever run seafoam in anything.

Haven't a clue what everybody thinks they are trying to remedy doing it. Look at what just happened here. Understand fully how the engine works and do all your own work and it seems to never be necessary.

I have never ever had to clean injectors either, always able to find the problem that allows car to go back to running perfectly.

Putting seafoam in engine oil is flat stupid to me.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Enstar
Focus Rookie

Its been successful for me in the past, but obviously I wont be doing that again.. But I still wanting to know if the cat would cause the error code or is that another issue in itself?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,167, Level 34
Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
By successful, just what do you mean? I'm looking for what you perceived as something better there.

No the cat shouldn't do that, if clogged it would run far worse at higher engine speeds and loads. Idle has so little flow through motor not much effect. Of course simply running all the seafoam through there could have wet a plug or something. Anything extra burning can light off a wet cat inside and then it melts, that's no good. Why you never should run car out of fuel nowadays.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Points 14,650, Level 78
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Yes it could be the cause, but take care of the cat first and see if it clears.
a misfire can be caused by alot of things, not just the plug or wires. you also could have set a code for it soaking the plug or flooding the cylinder temporarily with seafoam.
take care of the big problem before worrying about something small like a misfire.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Points 14,650, Level 78
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
By successful, just what do you mean? I'm looking for what you perceived as something better there.

No the cat shouldn't do that, if clogged it would run far worse at higher engine speeds and loads. Idle has so little flow through motor not much effect. Of course simply running all the seafoam through there could have wet a plug or something. Anything extra burning can light off a wet cat inside and then it melts, that's no good. Why you never should run car out of fuel nowadays.
seafoam isnt run through at idle. Its run through at at higher rpm otherwise it tries to kill the engine. This is also where cat damage can occur on high mileage or older cars due to the high exhaust temps created. some get lucky and never have a problem.
others develop one right after treatment and dropping rpms down to idle where exhaust is cooler and the cat that got cooked starts solidifying into a big ol chunk... thats when the crapy idle, smoking, etc start because the exhaust is now pretty much plugged. Keep trying to run it that way and you soon ruin an aluminum head, valves, etc, due to extreme heat from exhaust backpressure.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

Points 1,858, Level 25
Points: 1,858, Level: 25 Points: 1,858, Level: 25 Points: 1,858, Level: 25
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 ShoOff Great Standing Member
Lets not forget you may have more than one issue here. I would also make sure there isnt a leak in the vaccum line you messed with. If so that as well could cause a misfire.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.