OBX Header with stock cat or HFC? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103345
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 z4nder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OBX Header with stock cat or HFC?

If someone could help me out with a decision that would be great! I ordered the OBX header, because the lack of funds, or I would of went with the 4-1 header... I have FSWerks street exhaust and was wondering if I should use the stock cat or HFC? Would I be able to use the stock cat? Or would I need a HFC? I know with a stock cat the sound will be not as loud as if it was a straight pipe which is my goal. I'm feeling for a change haha.

Thanks, Alex!

Sedan Revolution #287
Tennessee Focus Owner #12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Well, how much do you like loud exhaust notes and/or drone? The main cat is in the stock manifold that you will be removing once you install that OBX header. That cat would be the one that keeps your car quiet. Your car's exhaust now is mani-cat>flex pipe>second cat>street exhaust. (you actually might not even have a second cat, I'm not familiar with 2010's.)

That second cat after you flex pipe is not going to do too much to quiet down your new header; high-flow or stock(I'd assume stock would be quieter than high-flow.) Your new header should come with a new flex pipe that should bolt right up to your second cat or a high flow cat just the same. To keep noise at bay, you will want to pick up fswerks stealth muffler (or similar) but i am not sure if that bolts right up to their street exhaust. For the money, I'd rather buy a muffler/resonator than a high-flow cat.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4nder View Post
If someone could help me out with a decision that would be great! I ordered the OBX header, because the lack of funds, or I would of went with the 4-1 header... I have FSWerks street exhaust and was wondering if I should use the stock cat or HFC? Would I be able to use the stock cat? Or would I need a HFC? I know with a stock cat the sound will be not as loud as if it was a straight pipe which is my goal. I'm feeling for a change haha.

Thanks, Alex!
If your end goal is a straight pipe= Then bolt up your header & see where your at. You'll find that like said above you'll need a muffler & resonanter, w/ a header.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103345
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 z4nder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Well, how much do you like loud exhaust notes and/or drone? The main cat is in the stock manifold that you will be removing once you install that OBX header. That cat would be the one that keeps your car quiet. Your car's exhaust now is mani-cat>flex pipe>second cat>street exhaust. (you actually might not even have a second cat, I'm not familiar with 2010's.)

That second cat after you flex pipe is not going to do too much to quiet down your new header; high-flow or stock(I'd assume stock would be quieter than high-flow.) Your new header should come with a new flex pipe that should bolt right up to your second cat or a high flow cat just the same. To keep noise at bay, you will want to pick up fswerks stealth muffler (or similar) but i am not sure if that bolts right up to their street exhaust. For the money, I'd rather buy a muffler/resonator than a high-flow cat.
Thanks for the reply! The sound doesn't really matter to me,
I already expect it to be a lot louder. The thing is I'm in a city where there is a visual inspection for the second cat. Also they never really check under the hood. From research I found a lot Of people running a hfc with a header, and heard that if it's possible to run the second cat with the header that the sound would be pretty good. Also I'm looking at best gains. I know straight pipe would give best gains but be crazy loud haha. I could switch out every year for a day but I rather avoid doing so since I don't have the proper tools to get under the car. (Noob) haha.
Sedan Revolution #287
Tennessee Focus Owner #12

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->