Stealth CAI 2006 - advice and instructions inside - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
choate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103130
What I Drive: 2006 maroon zx4

FF Reputation: 3 choate Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stealth CAI 2006 - advice and instructions inside

So I finally installed my stealth CAI today and I came across some things that I did differently than the instructions I found on here, and I thought this may help others out.

If you are unfamilar w/ this concept search on here or google for "Stealth CAI" and you'll find the instructions I mention. This is my own personal version w/ tips that hopefully will help someone one, save you a little time and possibly earn you a trip to heaven by saving you from cussing up a storm.

I would like to mention I did not take off the tire as mentioned in the instructions I read (I tried but stripped a lug nut, DOH!) I proceeded anyways and I ended up finalizing everything w/ the wheel on.

First, I removed the intake hose from the throttle body from under the hood, and also took out the liftime air box (it's bolted to the frame w/ like a 12 mm bolt) and the tube that goes down to the MAF sensor (connects w/ a metal ring) where all that was left was what I was removing (the factory tubing that is in the upper wheel well, which is removed from the side like you are changing the tire after take out the plastic wheel well lining.

I then jacked up the car and placed a jack stand under the pinch weld in case the jack failed. That allow me enough room to work in the wheel well and remove the mentioned plastic lining in order to take out the OEM air tubing that is in the upper fender well area. This is by far the hardest and most time consuming part.

Keep in mind, it will be necessary to loosen the splash guard that is underneath the bumper so it can move around a little. I did not take it all the way off but you have to remove the bolts that connect it to the bumper so it can move around a little in order to get the HUGE factory air dam out of the wheel well. That thing is unbelievably big!

Again, the biggest pain in the arsh was getting the plastic fender wheel well lining out. There are about 4 or 5 plastic push tabs that are a b1tch to get out! It is advised to purchase new ones b/c I totally ruined the factory ones b/c you basically have to yank them out and they either break or are demolished. There is a phillips style head to them but it's worthless b/c it just turns but doesn't unscrew and come out. Just get a flathead screw driver and pry them out a little then use needle nose pliers to jerk them the rest of the way out.

Once those are all out there are a couple 7mm bolts and one bolt that has a snow flake looking head to it (can't remember the mechanical name but you'll see it, it's right at the bottom of the fender.) Take all that that out and one more push tab on the bottom side of the car right in front of where you jacked up the car. You can then jiggle wheel well lining around and remove it completly around the tire and lay if off to the side.

Then if you look above the tire and to the left towards to front you'll see a couple more bolts and one straight up (almost straight above the tire). That is what is holding on the factory air tubing that you are removing. Remove those bolts then shimmy the tubing out.

Once you are done w/ that, connect your new cone air filter (I used an AEM filter which fit perfectly btw 3 1/4'') and put the factory box with the new filter attached to it back in from under the hood. You then bolt the factory lifetime air box back in place to the frame, re-connect the intake tubing to the throttle body, tighten it all down, put the wheel well lining back in place and bolt all that down, align and tighten the splash guard and then you are done.

Also, note that I did not dis-connect the battery and upon starting the car it did not idle funny or sputter at all. It ran perfectly fine from the instant it started up.

I hope this write up helps someone. It took me about 1.5 hours but I think I could do it in 30-45 min now after doing it once. Let me know if you have any questions!

Team Duratec #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Great write up , but wheres the pics??!!

Sent from my LG-LG730
Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
choate
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry, I did not take any pics other than the OEM tubing I removed. I'll upload that later this evening so everyone can see it. I have not seen a picture on here of that before so that may help someone out.

Can anyone chime in on what push tabs you used to stick back in the fender lining? I went to Advanced Auto today and tried two different styles for "FORD fender lining" and neither one fit correctly. I had to get to work so I didn't have time to return the 2nd purchase but it doesn't really fit either... One was too small and fell out and the other is pretty much too big and I can't fit it in the hole...
Team Duratec #29
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
choate
Focus Enthusiast

Here is the pic of what was in the fender well and removed from the car.

Team Duratec #29
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
Here is the pic of what was in the fender well and removed from the car.

Heres pics of the insides of that filter. If anyone cares , it shows how restrictive it really is. Each filter element is progressively thicker going towards the engine

Sent from my LG-LG730

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->