Passenger Front Issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Szukhent
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97182
What I Drive: 2005 Dark Grey ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Szukhent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Passenger Front Issue

First off, I drive a 2005 ST 2.3, with 136,XXX. No mods, bone stock, driven as such.

Ok so I was driving on the expressway last night and it was pretty windy and thought I just hit a big cross wind that made my car pull violently, but now i am not thinking so.

This morning when I left for work i noticed that there is a pretty noticeable grinding noise coming from my passenger front wheel, mainly when the vehicle is in a left turn, never straight. It actually sounds very much like a brake grind, but since the brakes are still good and it only seems to happen on left turns, I am ruling out the brakes.

Also, while stopped to get fuel, I cranked the wheel to the right so i could look in at the wheel components of the passenger side. I did not see any outstanding pieces that were broken or hanging out of place, but I did see the very inside of that tire was BADLY wearing! The tire was feathering right off on the inside, and there is obviously something VERY wrong.

Upon checking the driver's side, I cannot find anything out of place, including tire wear. All seems to be fine over there. This all came about at 8 pm on the express way, driving 75 mph. I do not drive like an Indy driver, nor do I EVER hit curbs, pot holes, or anything else. I am extremely attentive to my driving habits. As I mentioned earlier, my car randomly and violently pulled to the right while on the expressway, and then corrected. My car is currently driving straight as an arrow down the road, and just as before this issue popped up, it does not pull either way on the road. I can let go of the steering wheel under acceleration or braking, and neither will cause a pull.

I will be off of work in about two hours to actually get this thing in the garage and take the wheel off and look, but i just wanted to get some input from someone that may have encountered this before. Yes I know the search bar exists, and yes I have used it. Thus the detailed explanation of my situation.

Thank you all for any help you can lend!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,342, Level 20
Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aside from tire wear, a visual inspection might not reveal much if the underlying problem is in an axle, bearing, or suspension component.

With the vehicle secured on stands but before you remove the wheel, grab the tire with both hands at the 12/6 o'clock positions and try to rock it to see if there is any play; repeat at the 9/3 o'clock positions. Smart money's probably on a bearing.

While you're down there, it wouldn't hurt to check the tie-rod play by grabbing it, and the balljoints with a 2x4 for leverage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.