2001 zx3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
akatagyourit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113242
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 akatagyourit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 zx3

New to the forums but have been using it as a vital resource in information for the zetec motor. I just bought a 2001 zx3 with 163k miles on it. There are a few things that are really stumping me at this time. When I got the car it was running fine. At it got below a 1/4 tank of gas it started having this fuel starved feel. Low rpms would run ok but as soon as you start getting past 4k rpms it would fall on its face. Shift gears feels ok above 4k feels like its not getting fuel. My buddy hooked up his tuning utility that can read the computer for these types of ecus and it picked up error p1233 fuel pump driver module. Now since it got low on gas, dummy light came on I stopped and put 5 gallons in the car. Start driving it and now it runs fine. So my question is, is the fuel pump having issues when its low or possible pickup issues or where should I start? I already acquired a few fpdm's from the junk yard, couple look brand new, have swapped a few of them in, but car feels fine as long as there is more than a quarter of a tank.

Another thing that is bothering me is chatter. If i'm driving down the road in
5th gear at like 45 mph, then get on it, i'll get chatter from what sounds like the transmission till I get about like 2500 rpms. Is this the clutch? Any recommendations to test to verify and if so what needs to be replaced?

The previous owner showed me the paperwork and and the clutch was just replaced in december so I don't think it should be having problems yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
akatagyourit
Focus Rookie

Thanks Don, didn't realize I posted in the wrong section. I am a sucky nublet.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatagyourit View Post
Another thing that is bothering me is chatter. If i'm driving down the road in
5th gear at like 45 mph, then get on it, i'll get chatter from what sounds like the transmission till I get about like 2500 rpms. Is this the clutch? Any recommendations to test to verify and if so what needs to be replaced?
What do you mean by, "chatter?" The entire engine vibrates erratically? The transmission? The steering wheel? Your seats? The gear shifter? The tail-pipe (mine will)?
Does it 'chatter' from 0MPH to 45MPH or only in 45MPH while in 5th gear? Does it 'chatter' in 2nd gear when you're doing 45MPH?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Although it is very difficult to diagnose "chatter" based on a verbal (written) description and not actually hearing the noise, I would suggest that you check the fluid in your MTX75 transmission. Early MTX75's were OEM filled with red ATF fluid. They were noisy. Changing to Ford "Gold" (XT-M5-QS) fluid significantly reduced (but did not eliminate) transmission noise (gnashing) in my '01.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
There was a fuel pump recall on early model Focii, and a primary symptom was stalling with 1/4-tank or less; I got nailed by that a bunch of times before the dealer fessed-up. So, it's possible that your pump is at fault and it's being reflected on the FPDM; hence the code.

If you are still in contact with the previous owner, maybe ask him to look thru his records to see if the fuel pump was ever upgraded. I saw some DOT paperwork that said the interim replacement pumps were also suspect, so if it was replaced a long time ago, then it still might not be an optimal unit.

Also, I'm assuming that you've replaced the fuel filter at some point in this diagnosis.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
akatagyourit
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
What do you mean by, "chatter?" The entire engine vibrates erratically? The transmission? The steering wheel? Your seats? The gear shifter? The tail-pipe (mine will)?
Does it 'chatter' from 0MPH to 45MPH or only in 45MPH while in 5th gear? Does it 'chatter' in 2nd gear when you're doing 45MPH?
Chatter is coming from transmission, there is no feel to aka vibrations. It just sounds like gears chattering as they spin is the best I could describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjkel View Post
Although it is very difficult to diagnose "chatter" based on a verbal (written) description and not actually hearing the noise, I would suggest that you check the fluid in your MTX75 transmission. Early MTX75's were OEM filled with red ATF fluid. They were noisy. Changing to Ford "Gold" (XT-M5-QS) fluid significantly reduced (but did not eliminate) transmission noise (gnashing) in my '01.
As for the transmission fluid, when I replaced the cv joint on the passenger side it was still red transmission fluid. Wonder if that is the reason for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
There was a fuel pump recall on early model Focii, and a primary symptom was stalling with 1/4-tank or less; I got nailed by that a bunch of times before the dealer fessed-up. So, it's possible that your pump is at fault and it's being reflected on the FPDM; hence the code.

If you are still in contact with the previous owner, maybe ask him to look thru his records to see if the fuel pump was ever upgraded. I saw some DOT paperwork that said the interim replacement pumps were also suspect, so if it was replaced a long time ago, then it still might not be an optimal unit.

Also, I'm assuming that you've replaced the fuel filter at some point in this diagnosis.
Fuel filter was replaced when I did the valve cover gasket, plugs, etc. Dumped the contents out and it was pretty black so i'm sure that may have been the oem fuel filter. As for the fuel pump I doubt it. The previous owner was not the original owner. I will look into replacing the fuel pump and see if that is the issue. I just find it very odd that at a 1/4 of a tank or less it starts having that issue and its usually only after 4k rpms that she starts to fall on her face/buck.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

^it might be odd, but that's the nature of the beast. Evidently, the planets align when fuel level hits the quarter-tank mark; it even earned a bulletpoint in the Department of Transportation paperwork on this recall.

If you're gonna pull one from the junkyard, consider avoiding 2000-2002 models so that you don't get stuck with another faulty pump. That said, I don't know if/how 2003+ pumps might differ from your 2001 and if any mods would be required. There are some pics on page 2 of this thread that might be helpful if you are trying to distinguish the good, the bad, and the ugly:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298241
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
akatagyourit
Focus Rookie

Well bought a new fuel pump. Dropped the tank and found that I had the old recalled assembly thing. Junk yard run produced an 2 of the newer style with metal rods. Got tank ready and put new assembly in with new pump and car is running fantastic yay.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

good job buddy. buy yourself a cold one!

Bookmarks & Social Networks