Sluggish when cold. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111678
What I Drive: 2000, Cloud 9 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Bowesmobile Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sluggish when cold.

2000 Focus ZTS 2.0 DOHC
Fresh tune-up (wires and plugs), air filter, fuel filter, coil pack, MAF cleaned with MAF cleaner. No vacuum leaks that I can find. But until it warms up its very slow. Just lacks power. No codes registered yet. So what could possibly cause this? Bad temp sensor? Or another sensor? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
How sluggish we talking about here? The reason I ask is most cars are a little slow to wake up in very cold temps.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'm talking bogging and can't pull into traffic slow. About 1 second per mile an hour acceleration.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

What vacuum lines are operating when its cold, but not hot? Because the brakes feel stiff at the same time this happens.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
What vacuum lines are operating when its cold, but not hot? Because the brakes feel stiff at the same time this happens.
Um.. you only have one vac line controlled by a solenoid, and that's the purge line from the EVAP system. All vacuum lines should be operating all the time. Have you inspected the lines?

Do not be afraid, there are not many- like 4-5. Follow the VECI diagram under the hood. You might also have a problem with your check valve on the power brake booster or the booster itself.

I'd check the usual vacuum issue suspect: the PCV vacuum line. Of course it's important to check all of the lines for damage, but this one is the one that seems to cause the most problems.

Also, an engine that is running on like 2 cyls will have a hard brake pedal because it isn't producing vacuum like a normal engine, so that issue could be another symptom of your engine issue instead of a cause.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Um.. you only have one vac line controlled by a solenoid, and that's the purge line from the EVAP system. All vacuum lines should be operating all the time. Have you inspected the lines?

Do not be afraid, there are not many- like 4-5. Follow the VECI diagram under the hood. You might also have a problem with your check valve on the power brake booster or the booster itself.

I'd check the usual vacuum issue suspect: the PCV vacuum line. Of course it's important to check all of the lines for damage, but this one is the one that seems to cause the most problems.

Also, an engine that is running on like 2 cyls will have a hard brake pedal because it isn't producing vacuum like a normal engine, so that issue could be another symptom of your engine issue instead of a cause.
Its running on all four cylinders now. I have traced the vacuum lines and used intake cleaner spray to verify that there are not any leaks. The brake booster or valve could be culprit still. But after it warms a little they operate fine. Or when I rev the motor over 2k in neutral within a minute of starting it cold in the morning. My thoughts are that it could be the temp sensor. When it runs open loop it uses this to calculate the fuel mix. Also I dont know when the O2 sensor was changed if ever. So that is on the list of things to do next as well. But the O2 sensor would only affect closed loop driving.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

What is base timing at idle on a 2000 Focus ZTS?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Okay, so here's the million dollar question and something I dont fully understand. On the intake there are four ports. From the passenger side to the drivers side all vacuum lines are accounted for save one. The port on the far right (drivers side looking from the front of the car). Its not the brake booster port and the vacuum diagram is clear as mud. But I think its suppose to connect to the "VMV" . What does that stand for and where is it located on the car. I have a feeling its causing my problems. I have the vacuum port capped at this point and time so its not causing a leak. But this is driving me nuts!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Bowesmobile
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Nevermind. The VMV is plugged into both vacuum ports it is suppose to. Then that means its the IPS, whatever that is. Any clues...anyone?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
SVTisRight4me
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105772
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVTF 3 door#1009 in 2004

FF Reputation: 1 SVTisRight4me Good Standing Member
cars are sluggish when the engine is cold. u should not rev it or have the RPMs go high before it gets warmed up. its bad for the engine. when cold, the oil is thicker and its hard to run through the engine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->