I put the HID light of ST model on my Focus Titanium with DRL on all the time - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #71
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
So far I have found the following 5+ different headlights on ebay. Is it the whole headlight or just a part? Also are those listed as pairs or singles? I cant tell. I'm a bit confused about this. Also I'm prefer blue light because I'm going for a blue theme. Here are the links:
1: Super Light Bar
2: Sharp Blade
3: R8 Sharp Blade Rectangle
4: Model C BladeThree
5: Angel Eyes
6: Stock Black I know this one is a single whole headlight. Only $300 with shipping!

thanks
As has already been mentioned. 1-5 are pairs. You're getting the entire headlight housing, probably a hi-beam bulb, and necessary circuitry. Low-beam is buyer's responsibility as are the (presumably) the parking light and blinker.

As for #6 you're getting the headlight housing and one side only. That is all.

I'm not sure where your "blue" comment is coming from nor aimed at.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #72
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
As has already been mentioned. 1-5 are pairs. You're getting the entire headlight housing, probably a hi-beam bulb, and necessary circuitry. Low-beam is buyer's responsibility as are the (presumably) the parking light and blinker.

As for #6 you're getting the headlight housing and one side only. That is all.

I'm not sure where your "blue" comment is coming from nor aimed at.
Oh can the stock bulbs be used or do others have to be bought? Well Some of the lights seem bluer than others, like the LEDS seem blue-ish.
What i'm talking about "blue theme" is I wanna get blue bulbs or HID's but i'm not sure how to make it all work . maybe some blue vinyl. I'm a noob.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #73
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Quote:
Oh can the stock bulbs be used or do others have to be bought? Well Some of the lights seem bluer than others, like the LEDS seem blue-ish.
What i'm talking about "blue theme" is I wanna get blue bulbs or HID's but i'm not sure how to make it all work . maybe some blue vinyl. I'm a noob.
OK.

Yes, the stock bulbs can be used on all of the headlights you linked. However, if you're looking for a "bluer" bulb color you would need to go with HID lights. Specifically in the 6000k range. Those would require you to purchase ballasts and bulbs (for the low beams).

The LEDs are pure white, with no blue in them. All of the LEDs you see in the pictures are built in and cannot be swapped.

The whole "blue theme" is probably not, in actuality, what you want. It may seem cool, but by tinting your headlights your diminishing the amount of light that can be seen through it. Blue lights do not necessarily offer any benefits outside of someone simply liking the color.

Anyway, your "blue theme" can be achieved with any of the lights you have linked...aside from swapping the actual LEDs.
April 2013 HOTM
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #74
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Goat ordered. There was a Chinese holiday yesterday, so nothing happened as far as shipping. I anticipate having my bacon eating, sword wielding, back-flipping goat soon. Next week, perhaps.
howwwww muchhhhh??
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #75
mishka
Focus Addict

Quote:
OK.

Yes, the stock bulbs can be used on all of the headlights you linked. However, if you're looking for a "bluer" bulb color you would need to go with HID lights. Specifically in the 6000k range. Those would require you to purchase ballasts and bulbs (for the low beams).

The LEDs are pure white, with no blue in them. All of the LEDs you see in the pictures are built in and cannot be swapped.

The whole "blue theme" is probably not, in actuality, what you want. It may seem cool, but by tinting your headlights your diminishing the amount of light that can be seen through it. Blue lights do not necessarily offer any benefits outside of someone simply liking the color.

Anyway, your "blue theme" can be achieved with any of the lights you have linked...aside from swapping the actual LEDs.
I'm not sure what ballasts are, but would it be expensive? And would I have to take apart the headlight? I don't wanna get into the whole baking headlights thing.

I understand tinting headlights reduces visible light. However if paired with HID it would be okay because HID are already at least 2x brighter than normal. But you're right all it does it make the lens look blue, it doesn't even add much color to the light. Apparantley, for HID 8k is bluer and not quite as bright as 6k.

But on that note... what is involved in making those headlights HID? taking it apart? Can't I just buy a normal blue bulb that is not HID?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #76
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
howwwww muchhhhh??
I've been sworn to Chinese secrecy...

Quote:
I'm not sure what ballasts are, but would it be expensive? And would I have to take apart the headlight? I don't wanna get into the whole baking headlights thing.

I understand tinting headlights reduces visible light. However if paired with HID it would be okay because HID are already at least 2x brighter than normal. But you're right all it does it make the lens look blue, it doesn't even add much color to the light. Apparantley, for HID 8k is bluer and not quite as bright as 6k.

But on that note... what is involved in making those headlights HID? taking it apart? Can't I just buy a normal blue bulb that is not HID?

Thanks.
Ballasts are HIDs. It is what fires them and allows them to burn. You DO NOT need to bake your headlights to use ballasts. A good set of warrantied ballasts run about $150.

I'm not saying it's OK or not OK, but simply that I would not tint my headlights. You do as you please.

If you go that high, again, you're going to start loosing visibility and simply choosing form over function. Again, your choice.

No. I don't think you can legally buy a blue bulb w/o it being an HID. I could be wrong though. Making a headlight HID is nothing more than buying a ballast and light (they usually come as a unit).

I would not suggest running HID in stock housing, as HIDs are made to work in conjunction WITH projectors.
April 2013 HOTM
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #77
mishka
Focus Addict

i'm still confused. So if I buy aftermarket headlights... I have to replace a bunch of stuff in them to make them HID? Could you or anyone else explain it in a step by step process? Otherwise i'm too confused. For example 1: buy lights, 2: do this, 3: do that.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #78
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
i'm still confused. So if I buy aftermarket headlights... I have to replace a bunch of stuff in them to make them HID? Could you or anyone else explain it in a step by step process? Otherwise i'm too confused. For example 1: buy lights, 2: do this, 3: do that.

Thanks.
I think jdubhack is saying you have some options:

1. Stock headlight --> Halogen Bulb
2. Aftermarket Headlight (with/without projectors) --> Halogen Bulb
OR
3. Aftermarket Headlight (with projectors)-->Ballasts-->HID bulbs

Basically, we just don't recommend HIDs in the non-projector housings, though people do it all the time.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #79
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:

I understand tinting headlights reduces visible light. However if paired with HID it would be okay because HID are already at least 2x brighter than normal. But you're right all it does it make the lens look blue, it doesn't even add much color to the light. Apparantley, for HID 8k is bluer and not quite as bright as 6k
Don't immediately assume that. As the illumination gets above the 6k mark it gets blue and softer. The headlights looks like they are throwing out a lot of bright like but it looks dim at night and almost not present when its raining.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #80
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
HID kits from many online sources can be had for less than $60 for a set (low or high beams). You do not have to take the lights "apart" at all, its basically a "plug and play" affair just like replacing a bulb, if you're not sure, get a friend to help

Sorta, HID unto itself is much brighter and more effecient, however, 4300k is the OEM HID color used since it is closest to pure white, once you pass 5000k, you starting getting more blue output and the "usable" light output diminishes SIGNIFICANTLY, google is your friend. Check out danielsternlighting.com for example

Yes, you can certainly buy a "blue" tinted halogen bulb and plug it in, light output will be absolutely horrible, but, it would look blue (not to mention illegal on public roads). See above for HID installation

Thanks.

Answers to your questions are in red within the quote. Thanks
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->