Focus misunderstood - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
BruceAdama
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115070
What I Drive: 2005 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 BruceAdama Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, IDK anyone who hates the Focus personally, and I actually quite like the car. However, as I said in another thread... after eight years of owning mine, I know know what I do and don't like about it.

We got my Focus brand-new in 2005, and I originally had my mind and heart set on a 2004 Honda Accord EX. When I test-drove the Focus, and indeed for a long time after I got it, it was pretty damn great, and my perception of it was that it is a great and dependable little car. But now, I see some of the flaws it has.

Aside from the only color option for my interior being black, which I hate because it gets so damn hot, I'm kind of annoyed by the cheapness of the plastics used in the interior. Stuff that should not break has broken. For instance, when I put my seatbelt on, the motion of my arms makes my elbow hit against the armrest, which in turn, has been pushed sideways out of its "socket", I guess you could call it, and now wobbles from side to side. To me, that's just cheap quality. Plus the little plastic tab that holds the armrest door closed has long-since snapped off.

The little orange indicator for the various shift gears doesn't work right anymore, and whatever cog or gear holds that orange indicator tab doesn't have teeth that are catching with the shift mechanism. Plus, the stupid little thumb button on the shift knob itself is such a cheap POS it's not even funny... it keeps popping out all the time, and falling on the floor, always when I'm driving.

And I like to keep my cars 100% stock, so I still have the original Ford radio that came with my car, and that radio is truly a POS. It's an absolute joke of a CD player. Never before in my life have I ever seen a CD player skip and warble so much as this one... never. IDK who makes the radios/CD players for Ford, but they need to find a new source, IMO.

Finally, after eight years of driving the Focus, I have to say I am growing quite tired of the rougher, more trucklike ride. I'm sick of feeling every imperfection in the road and feeling like I'm gonna kill the car every time I go over a speedbump. I like a soft, supple, smooth ride.

All that being said, I will admit that so far, I have never had any mechanical problems with the car, and the A/C blows ice-cold, and I do get great highway fuel mileage. I don't hate this car. I don't dislike this car. It is a great car. But I don't think it's the best car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
...after eight years of driving the Focus, I have to say I am growing quite tired of the rougher, more trucklike ride....
Well, after 8 years I would think perhaps it's time for a suspension upgrade.

Probably time for an audio upgrade as well.

Hit the scrap yard and look for a replacement arm rest maybe?

After 8 years you can stop expecting the factory installed parts to look and perform the same as they did the day you bought it and consider going aftermarket. That's the great thing about your 05 Focus, you get updated styling and features with the same suspension design as the previous models which have a much more accessible aftermarket. The design changed in 06 and again in 08.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
autolite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
Ive had mine for 7 yrs.Biggest complant is cup holder position.131,000miles no issues still like the Focus a lot.Only thing I would replace it with would be a new St.My sister had a 00 with the SPI made it to 135,000 miles she put a bunch of money into it (complete brake job front and back) to drive it 1 week then the engine went she got $350.00 for it .She bought a 08 SE to replace and the insurance lady was dogging the Focus saying they have lots of problems.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
Well, IDK anyone who hates the Focus personally, and I actually quite like the car. However, as I said in another thread... after eight years of owning mine, I know know what I do and don't like about it.

We got my Focus brand-new in 2005, and I originally had my mind and heart set on a 2004 Honda Accord EX. When I test-drove the Focus, and indeed for a long time after I got it, it was pretty damn great, and my perception of it was that it is a great and dependable little car. But now, I see some of the flaws it has.

Aside from the only color option for my interior being black, which I hate because it gets so damn hot, I'm kind of annoyed by the cheapness of the plastics used in the interior. Stuff that should not break has broken. For instance, when I put my seatbelt on, the motion of my arms makes my elbow hit against the armrest, which in turn, has been pushed sideways out of its "socket", I guess you could call it, and now wobbles from side to side. To me, that's just cheap quality. Plus the little plastic tab that holds the armrest door closed has long-since snapped off.

The little orange indicator for the various shift gears doesn't work right anymore, and whatever cog or gear holds that orange indicator tab doesn't have teeth that are catching with the shift mechanism. Plus, the stupid little thumb button on the shift knob itself is such a cheap POS it's not even funny... it keeps popping out all the time, and falling on the floor, always when I'm driving.

And I like to keep my cars 100% stock, so I still have the original Ford radio that came with my car, and that radio is truly a POS. It's an absolute joke of a CD player. Never before in my life have I ever seen a CD player skip and warble so much as this one... never. IDK who makes the radios/CD players for Ford, but they need to find a new source, IMO.

Finally, after eight years of driving the Focus, I have to say I am growing quite tired of the rougher, more trucklike ride. I'm sick of feeling every imperfection in the road and feeling like I'm gonna kill the car every time I go over a speedbump. I like a soft, supple, smooth ride.

All that being said, I will admit that so far, I have never had any mechanical problems with the car, and the A/C blows ice-cold, and I do get great highway fuel mileage. I don't hate this car. I don't dislike this car. It is a great car. But I don't think it's the best car.
Sounds like it's just ready for some maintenance. There are plenty of online parts vendors that sell complete spring/strut assemblies for that OEM quality ride comfort. Cheap too.

It's odd that you're having so many interior fitment issues. My 2005 doesn't seem to have anything terrible going on inside. The previous owner seemed to scuff the interior lower door panels a bit. Other than that, looking good. No rattles. Regardless, it's a cheap car and you've gotten 8 years of drama free driving out of it with very little maintenance invested. Sounds good to me.

Really, though. Replace that suspension with fresh stock parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolite View Post
Ive had mine for 7 yrs.Biggest complant is cup holder position.131,000miles no issues still like the Focus a lot.Only thing I would replace it with would be a new St.My sister had a 00 with the SPI made it to 135,000 miles she put a bunch of money into it (complete brake job front and back) to drive it 1 week then the engine went she got $350.00 for it .She bought a 08 SE to replace and the insurance lady was dogging the Focus saying they have lots of problems.
The first few years, the Focus was pretty terrible. Quite a few recalls, wheel bearing issues, and the infamous SPI motor. I'm not sure why Ford was so eager to shoot themselves in the foot right out of the gate when releasing the Focus. Another thing that made the Focus diminish in market appeal is they pretty much stopped advertising for it by 2005. Works for me. Cheap used car prices.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94292
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
Sounds like it's just ready for some maintenance. There are plenty of online parts vendors that sell complete spring/strut assemblies for that OEM quality ride comfort. Cheap too.

It's odd that you're having so many interior fitment issues. My 2005 doesn't seem to have anything terrible going on inside. The previous owner seemed to scuff the interior lower door panels a bit. Other than that, looking good. No rattles. Regardless, it's a cheap car and you've gotten 8 years of drama free driving out of it with very little maintenance invested. Sounds good to me.
Unless you have ideally smooth roads the 99-07 focus oem ride it horrid.

Why people don't like these cars? They have an uncomfortable ride, uncomfortable seats, extremely heavy steering, limited sound insulation and very noisy at highway speeds (wagon), heater is weak, a/c is weak, auto transmission shifting is horrible and has a mind of it own, not the best crash safety rating (but it is an old car), handbrake is weak as hell, sticking throttle body during winter (design flaw, non fixable), windshield always fogs up during winter (noticed its only on focuses) and abs cancels out front braking completely during winter.

These things even for a cheap compact that costs 15 grand are something that ford could have easily corrected with $500. And if you calculate inflation its about 20 grand in today's money, not the cheapest car.

And that ST focus is a joke. Who would spend that kind of money for a front wheel drive "sports" car with 250 horses. There are so many other better rear wheel drive choices.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
goingFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75386
What I Drive: 2005 CD silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 goingFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The one thing that always happens when I own a Focus again is dealing with the number of people that dislike them for, well, I don't know where the negative perception comes from. People didn't like my SVT, ZX5, and now the ST.
What's with the bad wrap?
HANG W/ BETTER PEOPLE. My 2

Old 06-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #17
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post

Why people don't like these cars? They have an uncomfortable ride, uncomfortable seats, extremely heavy steering, limited sound insulation and very noisy at highway speeds (wagon), heater is weak, a/c is weak, auto transmission shifting is horrible and has a mind of it own, not the best crash safety rating (but it is an old car), handbrake is weak as hell, sticking throttle body during winter (design flaw, non fixable), windshield always fogs up during winter (noticed its only on focuses) and abs cancels out front braking completely during winter.

These things even for a cheap compact that costs 15 grand are something that ford could have easily corrected with $500. And if you calculate inflation its about 20 grand in today's money, not the cheapest car.

And that ST focus is a joke. Who would spend that kind of money for a front wheel drive "sports" car with 250 horses. There are so many other better rear wheel drive choices.
spot on.
the st is pretty much a joke with limited upgrades which cost a mint to get anything considered real hp.
pretty sad when you consider a person can pick up a base mustang for 22k and have 305hp on 87 octane, unlike the st needing premium.
and I know someones going to try and bag on weight difference, if ordered right it can weigh in at 3300lb. the st is a portly 3220lbs.
and the focus line in general is more to insure.
every car I've had since walking away from the tin can of a focus (fusion sport, now mustang) is quieter inside, nicer riding, far better handling, far quicker, better or the same gas mileage, holds value far better, cheaper to insure, etc.
Way more negatives to the focus I wish I would have seen in the 10 yrs I owned 3 of them. I still own my svt which is being returned to stock and relegated to my 50 mile daily round trip commute until it pukes. I see the focus for what it is, a tin can with 4 wheels to get back and forth, a throw away car once it wears out.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
BruceAdama
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115070
What I Drive: 2005 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 BruceAdama Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post

Exactly... the roads in my own neighborhood are okay enough for the ride to be tolerable... but I need my Focus to do my job, and where I work, the roads are crap, and there are speedbumps every ten damn feet, so I REALLY feel the rough ride. And yes, my car is VERY noisy. I wish to god that my Focus had ABS, but for some reason it wasn't an option on the one I bought, and I WANT a car with ABS. No reason that ABS should not be standard on every 2005 car, when a 15+ year-old Mercedes had it standard in 1987. The rest of the issues I've had with the car are all fit-and-finish quality kinds of issues, so nothing really major there.

To its credit, I have NEVER had any problems with either the heat or the A/C, and the defogger has always worked quickly and well. The handbrake can be touchy sometimes, but I've never had any problem with it being able to function properly.

As I said before... I do like my Focus... it hasn't given me problems yet... but it's by no means the perfect car, IMO. I do plan to keep using it as my work vehicle.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103591
What I Drive: '00 Focus wagon, 96 Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 1 swagfocuswagon Good Standing Member
I like my focus pretty well. I dont love it, hell no I dont. I dont hate it either. I dislike it and like it, I should say. I get frustrated often, the engine compartment sucks. Its so hard to get the oil filter off my SPI. Everytime. Its in such a shity place. Its noisey, the bushings are weak, cheap interior, ect.

But its over all a comfy ride, its peppy, gets decent fuel mileage and gets me around pretty well.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115084
What I Drive: 2005 InfraRed ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 JPFocus86 Good Standing Member
My 05 ST is the second focus I've owned, the first being a 00 5-speed ZTS I had during my college years. Considering it was a entry level, compact car I still enjoyed it. The zetec had decent enough power, returned great gas mileage, handled well for a stock vehicle, and the leather interior (granted it was cheap leather) was pretty comfortable. Nothing exactly stood out as being fantastic, but it was more than livable for the long drives from Michigan's upper peninsula back home. The only thing I noticed was that even with new, highly rated all seasons on it, it was probably one of the worst cars I've had to drive in the snow. Then again, a set of steelies with winter tires would of probably solved that.

Now I'm coming from a 2004 Taurus to my ST, and even though the Taurus is technically "more car" (more interior room, more comfortable ride, etc), I enjoy driving the ST so much more.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->