Noisy HPFP - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Noisy HPFP

I understand that the HPFP is going to be more audible because of the pressure it is designed to create and one of the locations being next to the valve cover. Over the last couple of months I have noticed much more "chatter" from the engine bay than before. I have looked at other threads of about every DI engine that is out there to see what the general concensus is.

My observation is that it is more apparent when the engine is warmed up and at idle. The best I can describe it is it sounds like a bunch of over stimulated crickets hitting puberty. Hot starts the noise remains. On cold days it is more prominent once at idle and the engine is up to operating temperature. Today when I pulled into the garage I let it sit and idle for a minute and the noise flutcuated from what I have observed lately and slightly sharper. The Audi/VW forums talk about the cam follower being an issue.

Has anybody else noticed similar behavior from the DI? I have 16k on the car currently. Any info or insight is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Its "funny" you brought this up (and I'm glad you did), since I just had my car in for regular maintenance on Monday at my dealership and I mentioned this funny high pitched noise (your description is MUCH better than mine was ), only prevalent at idle (or coasting) once the engine is warmed up. I suspected it was the HPFP, but, my dealer confirmed it and said that a LOT of people complain about it and that there was nothing to "worry about" (I wasn't anyway), I was more concerned if it was "normal" since I hadn't noticed it the first year of ownership... The service manager mentioned that the insulating cover (the black foam piece covering the HPFP) seems to deteriorate with time, and that Ford is about to release a replacement one that is of better "quality" that should quiet things down, or some I'm told. I asked how long, and they laughed and said, Ford was supposed to release it last year... so, I won't hold my breath. The fact that almost every gasoline DI engine has the same noise, reassures me a little in that, the HPFP isn't suddenly going to "grenade" anyway.... LOL
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,772, Level 32
Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
This is a characteristic of DI engines and is evident in mine too, primarily when cold in the garage. If it bothers you, add the Ford engine cover: quite a bit of extra insulation and noise-absorbing mass.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Thanks Dan! That is great idea, and should have been obvious to me, but, I guess I'm not used to a modern car without a standard "plastic fantastic" engine cover these days, LOL. Now that I think of it, my last VW TDI (2008) had a huge plastic cover with lots of sound deadoning material which is normal in a diesel, but was probably more to mask the sound of the diesel HPFP as well.
Rep to you good sir, lol.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm fine with the noise as long as it is normal and all is well.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,106, Level 34
Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post
I understand that the HPFP is going to be more audible because of the pressure it is designed to create and one of the locations being next to the valve cover. Over the last couple of months I have noticed much more "chatter" from the engine bay than before...
Hi ChrisRyan,

If you're concerned, it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment at your dealership so they can rule out any potential issues. I'm also happy to get your regional customer service manager involved to ensure your questions and concerns are answers. If you'd like to proceed, just send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll handle the rest.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Glad someone brought this up!

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sound probably happened after about 4,000KM (at approx 12,000KM+ now).MPG seems to be ok but yeah, once the car is warmed up and at idle, you hear the ddtdtdtdtdtdtdtdt type noise. If you blip the throttle a little, it seems to go away as the rpm's go down but then it starts up again.

I've taken off the HPFP cover and heard a slight different noise so it almost sounds like one of the valve tappets. I checked out my best friends '12 (who is now living with me) and he didn't have this noise. I've also come from a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which is very much the same and never got this kind of noise, even at 145,000KM.

I'll maybe make the call but I'll need to log some time and events to give the techs something go work with.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

My guess it IS the HPFP follower/tappet that has increased wear. Now I have the tools and a spare rubber gasket for where the pump comes out buuuut I'd like the dealer to do this as A: It's under warranty and B: It's a precise piece of equipment people have had issues with when not installed correctly, and refer back to B!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Aaaaand here is a video of it! You can really hear it near the end of the vid when the engine revs get higher.
http://youtu.be/rQTUmqQDXLM

Bookmarks & Social Networks