Aftermarket horn - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Noriceplease
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114146
What I Drive: 2013 SG SE 5SP

FF Reputation: 0 Noriceplease Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aftermarket horn

I always wanted to add one I was wondering if anyone has any experience maybe adding an oooga horn by just replacing the stock horn or a compressor with a train / semi horn best place to install price range any help will be splendid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Gadabout
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114774
What I Drive: 2006 Vermillion Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 4 Gadabout Good Standing Member
Oh My God. hahah .
I live in an area, where all the TOOLS drive BMW 3series or Mercedes C-class, how awesome would it be to come up behind them at the red light, after they've "overtook" took me (sheesh), and hit the OOOOOGA. Brilliant! I'm curious now.
Team Duratec #42
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
aperson9923
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90061
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 aperson9923 Good Standing Member
is it bad that my horn has already went out... but I am interested in this as well
Mods: Tint 20/5, LockPick & Backup Camera, K&N Drop In
Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
Interesting this topic comes up... For a long time I have been thinking about getting something like Hella SuperTones for the Focus. I know a lot of Subaru owners use em and love em but haven't looked too much into them or how they wire up or mount yet.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
JonnyPaste
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115169
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 JonnyPaste Good Standing Member
I had dual train horns/air compressor on my Dodge Ram. The compressor was pretty loud and it was in the bed of my truck, so I dunno if I'd want that on my Focus.. I had about $200 into that kit.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
As Jonny said, train-horn compressors are heavy and loud.

The air-horns that you see online also suck, they arent much louder than a stock horn, and since they have a compressor to push the air, they also have a lag-time where pressure is built up. from the time you push the steering wheel to the time it actually makes a sound is usually about .5 seconds. thats alot of time when you are in emergency evasion mode.

My recommendation is the Hella Super-Tones. They are pretty common in the tuning crowd because they are piercingly loud, easy to install, and look pretty good too.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
ianskiin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96280
What I Drive: 2012 FGM Focus SE w/203

FF Reputation: 1 ianskiin Good Standing Member
I researched this a lot too, and agree with Viper, a friend of mine had the "twin trumpet" horns with the small direct compressors, and there was a definite delay. The compressors all seem to fail within 6 months to a year as well. I plan on ordering the Super Tones soon, which have a higher pitch, and was going to leave the factory horns installed to balance out the sound.

The factory horns are behind the triangle grill piece (green), but I've narrowed it down to two locations for the new horns, 1 is behind the grill (red), should be plenty of room if you have removed the intake snorkel. 2 is behind the plastic bottom grill (blue), in front of the active shutters, but I'm afraid they might block too much airflow, because they are relatively large. Any input on that would be appreciated

Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Noriceplease
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114146
What I Drive: 2013 SG SE 5SP

FF Reputation: 0 Noriceplease Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyPaste View Post
I had dual train horns/air compressor on my Dodge Ram. The compressor was pretty loud and it was in the bed of my truck, so I dunno if I'd want that on my Focus.. I had about $200 into that kit.
How loud are we talking I would only do 1 semi horn 1 compressor in the trunk. The trunk has dynamat I'm hoping that would help with the noise
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskiin View Post
I researched this a lot too, and agree with Viper, a friend of mine had the "twin trumpet" horns with the small direct compressors, and there was a definite delay. The compressors all seem to fail within 6 months to a year as well. I plan on ordering the Super Tones soon, which have a higher pitch, and was going to leave the factory horns installed to balance out the sound.

The factory horns are behind the triangle grill piece (green), but I've narrowed it down to two locations for the new horns, 1 is behind the grill (red), should be plenty of room if you have removed the intake snorkel. 2 is behind the plastic bottom grill (blue), in front of the active shutters, but I'm afraid they might block too much airflow, because they are relatively large. Any input on that would be appreciated

What about putting them behind both of the triangle pieces, one on each side? I know they would be behind stuff instead of at an opening but I can't imagine the sound would be THAT much different and getting those square pieces off is pretty easy.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
ianskiin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96280
What I Drive: 2012 FGM Focus SE w/203

FF Reputation: 1 ianskiin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
What about putting them behind both of the triangle pieces, one on each side? I know they would be behind stuff instead of at an opening but I can't imagine the sound would be THAT much different and getting those square pieces off is pretty easy.
Very true.. Could even cut a few small holes out if it sounds muffled. When I get them I'll test it behind the triangles vs one of the grills

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->