Rear shock nightmare - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
TrixAreForKidss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33924
What I Drive: 2001 Midnight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TrixAreForKidss Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear shock nightmare

Hey guys and gals on here, I have a very serious question. Last spring I spent my tax refund on rockauto and fixed all of the things that have been ailing my car. One of the things that I replaced were both rear shocks, and here's where I have an issue.

When I removed the oem shocks I disregarded the entire assembly (including the upper mount ) I proceeded to install the new Monroe shocks in with the rubber bushing on the bottom with the metal washer and did the reverse on the top of the stud. Ugh, since that day I've burned up my rear tires on the inside edge and have a grinding sound whenever there's any weight over the rear wheels.

Did I buy the wrong shocks? Should I have reused or bought new upper mounts? I'm afraid of ruining the tires I just installed. All of the aftermarket brands have just the stud on the top of the tub, and nothing that looks like the oem one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds correct as to how you located the washers & rubbers, rubbers have a small lip on the side to the body that fills the hole - tighten until they "bulge" a bit & that's it.

Don't see how the bottom could be in the wrong place either...

Wrong shocks COULD be the wrong length so they wouldn't compress or extend fully I suppose, depending on too short or too long - doesn't explain "grinding" noise. any evidence of something rubbing?

Was anything else loosened when you did the install?

Inside edge wear is usually from poor alignment, typically too much "toe in" in the rear.

"grinding" noise is typically a bearing, or brake problems - but neither would likely show up ONLY with a load in back....

Bit of a "stumper" to answer from here, needs a good look over for issues we can't see!

jack it up, spin and wiggle wheel looking for noises or looseness, peek at bushings looking for obvious damage/wear, all I can think of for now...

Luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
scyzzo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111493
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 scyzzo Good Standing Member
Too much toe out (tires pointing away from the centerline) or negative camber causes inside tire wear. Did you get an alignment after messing with your suspension? Is it possible your tires are rubbing on something causing the noise and wear?

Bookmarks & Social Networks