Fords Alan Mulally on MFT and Dual Clutch - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #41
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,284, Level 28
Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
My DCT works great. I'm sure the vast majority of them do.

Now the My Ford Touch in my car is a slightly different story but it's generally fine.
MFT works fine aside from not having Applink Apps like Pandora, I have to use Bluetooth audio and have minimal functionailtiy, only had one reboot on start-up so far the first week I had the car.

I have to admit MFT is performing better than the DCT. I am not having the poor gas mileage issues, hitting 41 MPG this weekend highway 34 overall as of today. All of this at less than 900 miles. The Focus is a nice car for the price, but the DCT is not ready for prime time in my opinion, maybe mated to the upcoming 1.0L Ecoboost it will be better with less torque?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #42
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
MFT works fine aside from not having Applink Apps like Pandora, I have to use Bluetooth audio and have minimal functionailtiy, only had one reboot on start-up so far the first week I had the car.

I have to admit MFT is performing better than the DCT. I am not having the poor gas mileage issues, hitting 41 MPG this weekend highway 34 overall as of today. All of this at less than 900 miles. The Focus is a nice car for the price, but the DCT is not ready for prime time in my opinion, maybe mated to the upcoming 1.0L Ecoboost it will be better with less torque?
As I stated earlier mines been working well other then the odd low speed growl now and then.The earlier seal leaks aside,I'm convinced the software is causing the majority of the problems.When put I mine in select shift it sounds and behaves like a totally different car,like a true manual it doesnt miss a beat and pulls/sounds beautifully through all the gears other then the slight delay when you toggle.I still believe the tranny is solid overall and its the software that is lacking.I certainly cant complain about the mileage here either.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #43
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,785, Level 71
Points: 11,785, Level: 71 Points: 11,785, Level: 71 Points: 11,785, Level: 71
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
The Focus is a nice car for the price, but the DCT is not ready for prime time in my opinion, maybe mated to the upcoming 1.0L Ecoboost it will be better with less torque?
Has Ford North America announced the HP and torque ratings for the 1.0L EcoBoost in the refreshed Fiesta?

In Europe the 1.0L EcoBoost with 125HP offers 148 ft.lb of torque with transient
overboost, which is about the same or a little more then the North American Focus 2.0L GDI. The 1.0L EcoBoost with the 125HP is not offered with the Powershift dry clutch (DCT) , only the 5 spd tranny. But the Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost 98HP & 125 ft.lb. torque is offered with the Powershift dry clutch (DCT)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #44
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,284, Level 28
Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Has Ford North America announced the HP and torque ratings for the 1.0L EcoBoost in the refreshed Fiesta?

In Europe the 1.0L EcoBoost with 125HP offers 148 ft.lb of torque with transient
overboost, which is about the same or a little more then the North American Focus 2.0L GDI. The 1.0L EcoBoost with the 125HP is not offered with the Powershift dry clutch (DCT) , only the 5 spd tranny. But the Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost 98HP & 125 ft.lb. torque is offered with the Powershift dry clutch (DCT)
They only have the 1.6L listed currently:

http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-Fiesta...Style:BS-FA%5D

From what I read this is the 1.0L spec but whether or not that's based on the European model is unknown?

1.0L/123-hp/148-lb-ft DOHC 12-valve I-3
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #45
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 711, Level 14
Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Selling a Focus with a "bad" DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post
... selling privately is an option if you can live with yourself I guess. ...
Selling a Focus privately with the DCT that has not malfunctioned shouldn't bother anyone ethically. It's up to the buyer to know what they're buying in a used car, such as a DCT vs. a conventional automatic. It's hard to tell how much the DCT's reputation would hurt the car's value in that case.

At the same time, an ethical seller would disclose the history of one that had been defective and repaired, such as with leaking seals and damaged clutches. I have found that volunteering information like that before a buyer asks about it demonstrates honesty and helps to keep them from using it to talk your price down, since you've already considered it in setting the price. It makes the car more like in the first case.

The worst case would be one that has ongoing problems, especially if it was only behaving well temporarily (after being reset and before reverting to its bad behavior). I don't think I could live with myself selling one like that privately and not disclosing it. (It's a good thing I don't sell cars for a living.)

If I owned one like that and Ford would or could not fix it I'm not sure what I would do. The first new car I bought had a manual transmission I found I couldn't live with after I got used to it. I couldn't complain to the the manufacturer because it was working as designed, rather then being defective. They redesigned it the following year. I liked the car enough to want to keep it a long time, so I swapped the trans myself with the redesigned one I got out of later model at a junkyard. Not something I'd recommend doing today. (Anyone as young and enthusiastic as I was then might do it anyway.) I enjoyed driving it the rest of the time I owned it, and lucky for me I didn't lose much in the deal because the eventual buyer liked everything I had done to the car.

Ford really should compensate the owners who lose money trying to sell a bad one that Ford has not repaired. Unfortunately, Mulally's statement didn't seem to indicate that was going to happen voluntarily. Just the opposite, in fact:

Quote:
" ... we're going to continue to continuously improve them going forward".
Not very encouraging. They might need some convincing, like it took for Audi to do something for the customers who had bought their cars with a troublesome CVT: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...92#post4652892
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #46
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Points 711, Level 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Replace defective DCTs with new design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
To me, "redesign" sounds like hardware. Good news for future owners, maybe not-so-good news for current ones as I doubt Ford will voluntarily replace hardware on the 400-500,000 DCTs out there now...
Me, too. They wouldn't have to replace all of them, though -- just the ones that have a history of repeated/unresolved actual defects might be enough. (That would require an objective standard to distinguish between what is really "normal" and what is defective.) It's been hard to find out what percentage of the total that is, but there are lots of people on focusfanatics saying theirs are working as designed and that they're happy with them. Knock on wood.

Maybe they would not be as happy with them if they saw the other owners getting theirs replaced with the newer design. That could make it hard to manage the whole mess. I would guess that Ford has calculated that replacing only the defective ones would still cost them more to do than to not do, even if it leads to them losing a lawsuit like Audi did. (I'd love to be wrong about that.) It's easier to hand out checks than bring cars in to work on them, especially when we know that some of those cars would leave with new problems they did not have before being worked on.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 03-31-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Add emphasis to quoted comment; correct typo
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #47
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

As a reminder, I'm here to help with any physical concern you're having with your vehicle. If you are currently experiencing an issue, send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) so I can look into options to assist.

If you have questions or concerns about MyFord, MyFord Touch, or SYNC, your best bet is to contact my colleague, Jaclyn, who posts here under the name FordIVTteam.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #48
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Poor Alan, his compensation dropped substantially to just $21 million dollars last year. I'm sure he is really worried about our shutter shifter being fixed and the few thousand in resale each of us with a DCT might deal with.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #49
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Points 711, Level 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Is this too much to ask for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
I don't mind the DCT chitter chatter, after a while I got used to it, tsb 123b7 removed the chatter, but it slowed it down quite a bit, too. I prefer loud and quick than slow and quiet.
I would prefer quiet and quick, which would probably be at the expense of fuel economy. With the pressure Ford is getting from competitors (and the EPA) for higher mpg, that probably won't be a choice we'll get, though. I can't wait to see what is "to be done on the redesign of" the DCT, and whether any of it is backwards compatible to help current owners.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,237, Level 72
Points: 12,237, Level: 72 Points: 12,237, Level: 72 Points: 12,237, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Associated Press, question to President of Ford Motor Company Alan Mulally......
Alan, I was hoping that you could quickly discuss the Consumer Reports ranking . I know we have heard time and time again from Ford that you are fixing the issues with MyFord Touch. You are fixing the transmissions but it just still seems that consumers are giving you pretty hard knocks for those problems and I'm wondering what you are going to do?

Alan Mulally - Ford Motor Company - President & CEO
I think that clearly it's disappointing although we really do know the issues as you know and in some of them, especially the ones that are really contributing to the latest report, is led by not so much SYNC but the MyFord Touch on the information and entertainment side and also the new six-speed fuel efficient transmissions that we know what needs to be done on the redesign of those.

We have a number of the fixes already in on both. We have more to come and as you know, it takes time to go through the product line. So what the customers are saying and the feedback we've gotten with the new technology is really important to us and we're going to continue to continuously improve them going forward.
So whats Ford doing about this? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.