Fords Alan Mulally on MFT and Dual Clutch - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
My DCT works great. Even better after the update. I think it's quality issues with a small number of parts from suppliers, not a design problem.
I agree. Driving it, I can tell it wants to work right, but something isn't quite right with the parts, or potentially software. These things are dreams on the test drives, so they're able to perform then. They just can't seem to pass the test of time as well as a conventional automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
They need to stop giving customers the "this is normal" runaround on the DCT and add an addendum to the Focus brochure that mirrors the handout I received the other day at the dealer.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312416
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
They need to stop giving customers the "this is normal" runaround on the DCT and add an addendum to the Focus brochure that mirrors the handout I received the other day at the dealer.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312416
All that handout does is give the "this is normal" runaround as well though.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Focus805
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90582
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL HB 300A

FF Reputation: 1 Focus805 Good Standing Member
Quote:
My DCT works great. Even better after the update. I think it's quality issues with a small number of parts from suppliers, not a design problem.
Ditto. My DCT has functioned just fine. I have the update applied and didn't notice much of a change. Just nice smooth -- and early for mpg -- shifting. I did have the minor leakage of assembly juice, but a solvent rag cleaned that and no further leaks

But Mullaly sure doesn't sound like they're committed to a big recall for the upset owners here and elsewhere. If you've got a problem, buy the extended warranty while you can.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus805 View Post
Ditto. My DCT has functioned just fine. I have the update applied and didn't notice much of a change. Just nice smooth -- and early for mpg -- shifting. I did have the minor leakage of assembly juice, but a solvent rag cleaned that and no further leaks

But Mullaly sure doesn't sound like they're committed to a big recall for the upset owners here and elsewhere. If you've got a problem, buy the extended warranty while you can.
So would you guys step up & pay an addition $1000. for a DGS trans on top of the cost of the DCT?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
mildc3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76504
What I Drive: 2007 blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mildc3 Good Standing Member
1500kms on mine now, only the last 400kms or so the shudder happens MAYBE once a week. i also noticed that when i go S mode for a bit and go back to D is when the shudder usually happens. ive learned to live with it. on a side note just bought a 1994 civic hatch 5 speed for $500 bucks and trying to learn manual. a little backup plan but really im looking to order a JDM S15 when we(Canada) can import it in like 1-2 years so....yeah!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
kbg1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 61271
What I Drive: 2012 focus se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 kbg1 Good Standing Member
Talking why not extend the warranty on dct????

i know everyone could have bought a ford esp but...........

i think ford could go along way with some piece of mind for customers.
not an all out recall ,but extend the warranty on all dct's to 7 years with unlimited mileage.ford is an outlier with a shorter warranty period than other manufacturers(kia/hyundai specifically,gm also(our astra had 7yrs 160000kms powertrain)
cover all the parts including clutches(are these classed as wear item in this transmission?)

i really think this is what ford should do,all this bad press is not helping, ford denying there is a problem and its normal operation ,and with no definitive fix an extended warranty would go a long way.

possibly someone should start a poll and see if an extended warranty would give owners more confidence in the dct .

by the way we have not had any problem with ours yet ,posting this as an interested observer only,with a vested interest
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
All that handout does is give the "this is normal" runaround as well though.
Yeah but imagine all the people (including myself) would have not bought the car after reading this. Ford is not being upfront with customers on the issues.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg1 View Post
i know everyone could have bought a ford esp but...........

i think ford could go along way with some piece of mind for customers.
not an all out recall ,but extend the warranty on all dct's to 7 years with unlimited mileage.ford is an outlier with a shorter warranty period than other manufacturers(kia/hyundai specifically,gm also(our astra had 7yrs 160000kms powertrain)
cover all the parts including clutches(are these classed as wear item in this transmission?)

i really think this is what ford should do,all this bad press is not helping, ford denying there is a problem and its normal operation ,and with no definitive fix an extended warranty would go a long way.

possibly someone should start a poll and see if an extended warranty would give owners more confidence in the dct .

by the way we have not had any problem with ours yet ,posting this as an interested observer only,with a vested interest
when i bought my car in jun '11 i got the extended warranty but not because of DCT problems (or any other particular problems as they were not an issue at that point w/ the car being out only a month or two) but because of all the electronics... I know that diagnosing electronics can be tricky and expensive and so i was hedging my bets. the fact that the extended warranty covers the dct is a bonus... so im good for 60K miles and by that time i'll have a new vehicle...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

I opted out of the extended warranty from Ford because your paying for 3 years when your already covered on the basic and the 5/60 powertrain is more than enough.

Since I have Geico I am still debating on getting the mechanical breakdown insurance, which is priced less than Ford's extended warranty with a low deductible.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks