Looking for PCV valve - Any Engine pics available? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
I'll post a thorough thread on it after its done. Right now it's just a bunch of pictures of the intake
Can you post the engine side pictures sooner or are you going to wait for the completion and post it all then? Now that I know you'll have them sooner I'll be grinding my teeth waiting on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 6,005, Level 50
Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Can do. Either way it'll get done before tomorrow is done
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 6,005, Level 50
Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
I'm not having a good time with this intake so it won't be getting put on this weekend
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,538, Level 94
Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
since the pcv operates under vacuum, there shouldn't be an issue with pressure drop through the filter. Vacuum is the same throughout the system.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #25
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
since the pcv operates under vacuum, there shouldn't be an issue with pressure drop through the filter. Vacuum is the same throughout the system.
Sorry, but that is not strictly true. Think of it as resistance to flow. Also, it helps to think in absolute terms as in absolute pressure. At sea level the pressure is actually about 14.7 PSI or 1 ATM (Atmosphere)

Even though the system operates at less than 1 ATM there is still pressure and pressure differentials. Most car systems read vacuum as inches of water and they a quite sensitive to the vacuum levels in the manifold, even very small leaks cause modern engines to run badly.

The PCV system runs right from the source of vacuum, the manifold, but for it to function properly there can't be much restriction in the flow and that is what concerns me. It's kind of a project with me, just something to pass the time.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
The oil separator that people are installing from James Baron racing refers to the PVC valve exits the block into the intake manifold. Although the Valve cover hose leading to the intake is referred to as the PVC hose this is not the same.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...an-kit-20.html
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
The oil separator that people are installing from James Baron racing refers to the PVC valve exits the block into the intake manifold. Although the Valve cover hose leading to the intake is referred to as the PVC hose this is not the same.

Thank you!
I will read the whole thread when I have time.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post

Finished:
6 hours of reading, Googling (semi new word) and cross referencing (there are several referenced threads and web sites on which I spent a great deal of time)

Results:
Brain Fried, eyes blurry and some tentative conclusions.

Conclusions:
We need more time on our engines for conclusive proof but for right now it appears that they have solved the issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves, whether it's actually fixed on our engines will take the above referenced time and head(valve) inspections for actual facts to emerge.

Is it worth it to install a 'Catch Can':
First - Define 'worth'

My Answer: Assuming a decently engineered kit is used -
It does not hurt if installed/maintained properly.

The matter of 'worth' is subjective. My thoughts too date are that the system is not 'required' on a NA car that is a daily driver or even one that is driven hard from time to time such as mine but that those who detest emission systems in general and this one (EGR is next) in particular such as myself, may wish to consider it for no other reason than that we/you hate to have waste products reintroduced into your/my engine, sweet little kitten/puppy that he/she is. Sorry for the duality's but humor is subjective.

I'm still thinking about it but it's going to take a backseat to other, 'more pressing' issues like getting that bypass oiling system mounted, after all, I can't use it till it's mounted and that is proving to be the b1tch of the whole thing. Work day Monday and the machinist said he would fab a bracket for me, suitable payment for services rendered and all that.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
jimfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69155
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE

Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 jimfocus Good Standing Member
Tonight on the other forum (FJ) I saw a photo that appears to contain the PCV/hose. a member named EMAN 4454 posted at 1230 today (3/26) in the thread "2012+ Intake Kit Test for TiVCT." It appears with an AEM intake he tested and photographed the parts of.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #30
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfocus View Post
Tonight on the other forum (FJ) I saw a photo that appears to contain the PCV/hose. a member named EMAN 4454 posted at 1230 today (3/26) in the thread "2012+ Intake Kit Test for TiVCT." It appears with an AEM intake he tested and photographed the parts of.
I'm so sorry, that does not seem to show anything.
A search for: "2012+ Intake Kit Test for TiVCT" does not show the engine but an 'intake' install - It's on the 'Focal Jet' forum which matches your citation of 'FJ' but I am not seeing pics of the engine, I did see a hose that looks like the cam cover breather which is called out as a PCV hose but does not contain a valve or, as far as I can tell, have anything to do with the PCV system besides provide 'breathing' of the leakage gases from the cam cover.

The source air may come from the 'oil separator' and 'crankcase breather' hose used in the PCV system so it probably interacts in a pressure drop/flow kind of way and it's requirements would have to be factored in but I was really looking for the engine pics that show the separator and hose to see where they connect to get an idea of the flow pattern which will give me the fundamentals from which to explore factual analysis further. Sorry to be so techy in words, the concept is actually simpler but facts rule on the forums and I'd rather not appear an idiot if I voice an opinion and knowing where the hoses actually connect would be a great place to start.

I am still new to the Focus (less than a month now) and not clued in when it comes to all the forums for the car, a link to the thread would have been easier for me but the thread reference did work so, thank you.

I am spending all my time here for now (exceptions are referenced threads which I have spent a great deal of time in, just glancing at the forum or web page) until I understand more since I prefer to make an as5 of myself in one place at a time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.