Looking for PCV valve - Any Engine pics available? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfocus View Post
Rock auto lists a PCV valve and crank case vent hose, Motorcraft part # KCV224 for the 2012 for about $17.
Apparently, that does not fit the 2013, I have no idea why or if it is a different part or there was just a number change and they haven't updated the database or something. Looks like I'll have to go to the dealership as TheJorden suggested it's just that I can already see the look on their faces and hear the 'Why do you want to know that? Don't you have a new car?'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 30,804, Level 100
Points: 30,804, Level: 100 Points: 30,804, Level: 100 Points: 30,804, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Just got the perfect idea. Defmetal just bought a second intake for his mk3. So he can smooth it out and paint it to match his car.

Anyway, ill ask him to see if it has the palce for the PCV valve on it. Then wha-la.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Just got the perfect idea. Defmetal just bought a second intake for his mk3. So he can smooth it out and paint it to match his car.

Anyway, ill ask him to see if it has the place for the PCV valve on it. Then wha-la.
Thanks. I got a flashlight out today and went a searching, I spotted a purple thing that appears to be it but you can only spot it at just the right angle through the intake manifold runners and the flashlight is required. It is so crowded in there and so dark (there is more of that black felt paneling that seems to be on nearly every surface of the car) that I can't even tell whats what. I am still not sure where the spark plugs are, I am just assuming they are under what appear to be the coil packs on the top of the engine.

Just so that I actually understand, Defmetal just bought a second intake meaning the air filter/housing/mount and not the intake manifold with the runners, right?

Has anyone actually changed the intake manifold? It was real popular when I was into modding cars (Long ago) but does not even appear to be an option right now at least on this engine.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 5,922, Level 49
Points: 5,922, Level: 49 Points: 5,922, Level: 49 Points: 5,922, Level: 49
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 9%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If everything goes well today ill be removing and re installing intake tomorrow.

On the intake there are 3 ports other than the engine flange and throttle body.

This one next to trottle body leads into a sensor then follows fuel lines towards the back of the car.

This one provides vacum for brakes and is also ran into the intake between throttle body and filter next to the breather tube.

Blue square is hose in question other is breather hose

This last one I can't trace from above

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Deftmetal

Points 5,922, Level 49
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
As far as I know I'll be the first to swap the intake manifold. People haven't done it because there is no tuning available and not much aftermarket support. The square coil packs are covering the spark plugs. They are fairly deep in the head below the coils. I'll get many more pictures with the intake off tomorrow (hopefully) anything specific other than pcv? I'm not sure on pcv location
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
Deftmetal

Points 5,922, Level 49
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
6758 is listed as pcv valve hose

There appears to be no actual pcv valve the hose in question doesn't have it in the hose. It is not in the intake. And is not in the valve cover.

While searching I read that some ford and gm I4 engines don't have a valve and use a "tuned orifice" instead.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
As far as I know I'll be the first to swap the intake manifold. People haven't done it because there is no tuning available and not much aftermarket support. The square coil packs are covering the spark plugs. They are fairly deep in the head below the coils. I'll get many more pictures with the intake off tomorrow (hopefully) anything specific other than pcv? I'm not sure on pcv location
Nothing real specific however, I would like to see whats against the engine with the manifold removed, specifically, if that purple thing I spotted about where the 'oil separator' and 'crankcase breather hose' are supposed to be is an actual PCV valve or something else with a pretty color. There are also some 'things' with wires going to them that I at first thought might be the high (about 2200) PSI fuel injectors but I could not see the fuel line(s) / rail(s). Pictures (Lots Please) would be most welcome.

So, you are removing the intake manifold! And this is so that you can paint it the body color? It sounds interesting and I am looking forward to seeing your project progress. Do you have a specific thread already where you are posting pictures? You are welcome in this one of course but I don't wish to dilute your accomplishments in any way.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,324, Level 93
Points: 23,324, Level: 93 Points: 23,324, Level: 93 Points: 23,324, Level: 93
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
I'd like to know what color you end up with :)

This was my point earlier. the escape posted was an old one, the standard duratec. I know where that pcv valve is. What I don't know is if they changed it to just an orifice. Since they're still new, No one has had to look for it yet. Deftmetal will let us know I guess :)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
6758 is listed as pcv valve hose

There appears to be no actual pcv valve the hose in question doesn't have it in the hose. It is not in the intake. And is not in the valve cover.

While searching I read that some ford and gm I4 engines don't have a valve and use a "tuned orifice" instead.
That is one of the two diagrams that I have been scouring for clues, #6758 is the hose from the valve cover to the intake, there is a right angle connector at the cover and a straight connector to the intake. No valve there as you said.

The other Duratechs, to the best of my admittedly sparse knowledge, have their PCV valves mounted at the 'oil separator' under the intake manifold, however as you can see from the diagrams, they don't call it out or picture it. I would really like to know how the PCV system is routed for this other thing I am thinking about - Filtering the PCV system before it goes back into the intake.

This all started while I was reading the oil threads (much debate and strong personal preferences there) but what got me was the fact that since the intake valves are not washed with gas because we are GDI then how can we keep the valves clean long term. Oil with low NOACHK (sp) and some type of filtering of the PCV system should slow it down. So, we have the 'oil separator' mounted on the block and we know where it comes out of the engine from the cam cover.

I am trying to gather some facts about PCV flow rates in the NA engine which I expect to be rather low because we are not boosted but rather low means what exactly? If I use a coalescing filter will the pressure drop create a problem? How much drop is allowable for the expected flow?

Anyway, that is my project in a nutshell, I don't expect that the factory left us unprotected but I want to do it to excess just like the oil bypass kit that I have, does the engine require it, not at all, will it help it last longer, maybe if I got enough miles on it before it rusts away but that is unlikely so I am doing it for myself, kind of like a stripe down the hood, it serves no real world purpose except to make the owner happy and I like being happy
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Deftmetal

Points 5,922, Level 49
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
I'll post a thorough thread on it after its done. Right now it's just a bunch of pictures of the intake
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks