road trip question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Baldurs390
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86071
What I Drive: 2009 black ses

FF Reputation: 4 Baldurs390 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
road trip question

so i love driving my focus as most of us on here do. i take some road trips to upstate new york to visit my girlfriends family, and once a year we take a drive up to canada. i have had my fswerks header sitting in a box waiting for the weather to get a little nicer to install it. as i was driving home from work this morning i was wondering about the header and road trips. will having the header installed and driving for say 8 hours in a day at 70+ mph hurt my car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If it does I would not install them, period.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldurs390 View Post
so i love driving my focus as most of us on here do. i take some road trips to upstate new york to visit my girlfriends family, and once a year we take a drive up to canada. i have had my fswerks header sitting in a box waiting for the weather to get a little nicer to install it. as i was driving home from work this morning i was wondering about the header and road trips. will having the header installed and driving for say 8 hours in a day at 70+ mph hurt my car?
No you won't have any issues. I'd install it w/ the exhaust system your going to run= I recommend the stealth muffler at the least w/ a 2.5'' system. Start it up drive it around & enjoy the power & then let it sit & cool down then check the header bolts including the flex. I bought a ford replacement gasket & found the original gasket was better & used that & returned the one I bought. I would recommend 2 mufflers & a resonator. FYI= 2 yes two stealth mufflers fit behind your flex, one after the other & get a resonator next to the fuel tank. I have a Borla & moved the Borla muffler behind the stealth. It fits & the Borla muffler is longer then the stealth. If I didn't have a Borla exhaust, I'd use two stealth mufflers. Do you have a tune that turns off the egr & rear 02 senser? I hate having parts = specialey aftermarket parts just sit there. I'm dieing to install them. There are saying= ''Get up & install me'' LOL
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
If it does I would not install them, period.
How does he know unless he ask's?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
How does he know unless he ask's?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did not say he should not ask. Just saying if the headers cause damage on a long road trip at 70 mph, then he should not use them even if he limits driving to short trips.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Baldurs390
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86071
What I Drive: 2009 black ses

FF Reputation: 4 Baldurs390 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
thanks for the answers... the main reason was because i was reading a how to ona f2 header and the poster said tht the header was very close to the alternator and i didnt wanna melt it for driving for 8-12 hours straight... long drive straight was 22 hours from florida to ri
Old 03-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
kirkus8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72303
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx3 se

FF Reputation: 1 kirkus8 Good Standing Member
If its a quality header I wouldnt imagine any problems would come up.

Ask manufacture maybe?
Hatch nation #54
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldurs390 View Post
thanks for the answers... the main reason was because i was reading a how to ona f2 header and the poster said tht the header was very close to the alternator and i didnt wanna melt it for driving for 8-12 hours straight... long drive straight was 22 hours from florida to ri
My 23 mani/cat had a 3 piece heat shield. I carefully undid the tabs that held it together & used the alternator heat shield, w/ a couple black tie wraps holding the top side up. Also make sure the speed senser wire & the o2 senser is tied up away from the header. One more thing is make sure to use a dogbone vf engineering or similar, for if not the bottom of the header could hit the cradle or very close, when the motor rolls w/ the stock dogbone.You might have to oblong the stock bracket that goes from the motor to the header, thats what I ended up doing. I hope that helps you= Baldurs390.

Bookmarks & Social Networks