2013 Focus Titanium Transmission Noise (Grinding) Dealer Handout - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
jcbbas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90384
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jcbbas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I did for the time being - the reason being that Ford doesn't know what's broken, so they can't actually fix it yet. I was just wasting my time taking it there.

Also, it was less pronounced in the winter. I'll bring it back soon since the warm weather is coming back (a TSB was recently released for clutch shudder - Eeee!!! ^_^)

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm at 27,000 miles. I took my car in about 5 times within the first 5000 miles. Same answer every time. Gave up when winter came around since it all but completely stopped doing it when it got cold. Now that its starting to get warm. Low and behold, some grinding, but the shudder feels like its back with a vengeance.

Last edited by jcbbas; 04-22-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbbas View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm at 27,000 miles. I took my car in about 5 times within the first 5000 miles. Same answer every time. Gave up when winter came around since it all but completely stopped doing it when it got cold. Now that its starting to get warm. Low and behold, some grinding, but the shudder feels like its back with a vengeance.
I have noticed that but it's rarely cold here, only a few times did it get down to the 40's since I purchased the car in March, but Ford has something floating around on Oasis that say's cold temperature cause problems and that they are working on a fix.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I appear to be having the same issues. I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium (9/11 build date) brand new, it's got 500 miles on it now and I notice a grinding (sounds almost like a splash shield scraping but it isn't) when I start from stopped.

Hope this goes away after the break in period but from your guys posts it doesn't seem like it will. Wonder what I should do now...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
I appear to be having the same issues. I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium (9/11 build date) brand new, it's got 500 miles on it now and I notice a grinding (sounds almost like a splash shield scraping but it isn't) when I start from stopped.

Hope this goes away after the break in period but from your guys posts it doesn't seem like it will. Wonder what I should do now...
Identical to mine, I responded to your other post.

I was told it will go away, but it hasn't I have stacked up nearly 1500 miles since it was last in the shop, no improvements and I am taking it back in soon.

Search on Youtube for "Ford PowerShift Transmission Problems" you will see videos of other people who have the same issue and the sounds.

Same transmission is in the Fiesta, same problems:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...htenment-memo/

All you can do is keep track of your dealer visits and research your state lemon laws or trade it in for something else, like a manual equipped Focus, a lot of people are doing this.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #25
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Identical to mine, I responded to your other post.

I was told it will go away, but it hasn't I have stacked up nearly 1500 miles since it was last in the shop, no improvements and I am taking it back in soon.

Search on Youtube for "Ford PowerShift Transmission Problems" you will see videos of other people who have the same issue and the sounds.

Same transmission is in the Fiesta, same problems:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...htenment-memo/

All you can do is keep track of your dealer visits and research your state lemon laws or trade it in for something else, like a manual equipped Focus, a lot of people are doing this.
Thanks for all the help. When I bring it in this week for the MFT fix I will bring up the sound too. Hopefully they will work offer a solution though since its not the dealer I've bought it from I'm kinda of doubtful. Might give the dealer I purchased it from a call and see what they will do about it (it's 75 miles north of me so I'm reluctant to make the drive for no reason) but I might have to pressure them to rectify it somehow if this keeps up...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Be prepared to deal with "it's normal" BS, just be persistent on the issues. If you have no success try another dealer.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
I have the ST with the 6 speed transmission. The only part of that write-up that sounds valid is the whinning described when in reverse. You will hear that on almost all manuals. But with that said, its only really loud if you are moving pretty quickly in reverse.
The rest of it sounds like a manual driven by someone who has never driven a manual tranny. I would expect the computer to shift much better than described. IMO
Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #28
jonSheppa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114434
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jonSheppa Good Standing Member
Grinding along

I have the same issue and received the same handout from the dealer. I just reached 1200 miles and it's still making the noise. The mechanic drove the car with me in the passenger seat, when the noise happened he said that it is normal. I am giving Ford the benefit of the doubt for now. What can I do after my dealer says it's normal? Love the car except for the grind!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Mine came back from the dealer and they said they only heard "normal" functioning sounds... Oh well, I think it's getting better (though I can still hear it every once in a while) but maybe that's just my imagination wanting me not to hear it anymore since I can't do anything about it...

On the bright side at least they did fix my MFT system when I brought it in.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

It's a good excuse till you hear it past the so called "break-in period" of X miles. When you have a ill shifting transmission that causes your neck to snap back and lunging, ask the mechanic to go for a ride and make sure you can replicate it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks