Odd dragging issue on '12 SEL... not sure what it might be! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Asera
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116533
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Asera Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Odd dragging issue on '12 SEL... not sure what it might be!

Hi! Hope I am posting in the right forum, this seems to be a really large forum community. Anyway!

I have a 2012 Focus SEL with the 6speed dual clutch transmission and about 72,0000km on it. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed resistance somewhere in the car. At first I figured it was the adverse weather (there was a lot of snowfall the week before last in Atlantic Canada), but since it's been clear, it's still apparent. Normally I get around 8-9L/100km according to the trip computer with my usual daily work commute, plus a bit of running around, and it hasn't deviated much from that since I've owned the car. Lately though it's been creeping up in the 11-12L/100km range, with the exact same commute, more or less similar amounts of errands, and no real change in driving habit. I do drive somewhat aggressively, but even when I tone it down it still has really bad readings.

To further elaborate besides the trip computer, on certain routes where I know for a fact I can coast through, I've lately been having to give the car gas to keep from slowing down too much. One example is an off ramp from one highway to another on my way home, I used to be able to coast into it and have to brake when the off ramps turn becomes too sharp to stay at the current speed. Lately though, I've had to keep some gas on the engine to keep from dropping speed to far on the other highway, and more gas through the ramp than normal.

I've had a few suggestions as to what it might be from friends that are more familiar with cars than I am. Stuff like warped rotor, low tire pressure, seized brake caliper, park brake cable problem, oil life, etc. My tire pressure is fine, and my oil still has half life left to it at least. It can't be a warped rotor because I feel no pulsation in the brake pedal, and I don't believe it's a seized caliper because the car doesn't drag to one side, it drags like I have a trailer stuck on it -- and I doubt a caliper on each side seized at the same time. Not only that but after driving around this weekend more extensively than usual, no one of the four wheel hubs have felt any hotter than the rest (something someone suggested for detecting a brake issue).

So now my question, I've noticed, especially in this forum, a lot of threads about problems with the Ford DCT. To be honest, it kind of feels like the resistance is in the transmission. I'm going to book a service appointment tomorrow with Ford, since the powertrain should still be under warranty. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to confirm that the DCT is the problem, or if there is something else I am forgetting and if there's anything specific I should tell the service desk?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
My sister just had a wheel bearing replaced on her 2012 SEL (about 45000 miles) for the same reason. There was no abnormal noise or other indication, but once the dealer had the car up on the rack the bad bearing was obvious. Back to normal now with the new bearing.

Another possible issue you didn't mention is wheel alignment, but it usually takes some kind of impact to knock the alignment out badly enough to make the kind of difference you're seeing.

Best of luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 116356
What I Drive: 1908, Black, Model T

FF Reputation: 1 FordServiceCA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asera View Post
Hi! Hope I am posting in the right forum, this seems to be a really large forum community. Anyway!

I have a 2012 Focus SEL with the 6speed dual clutch transmission and about 72,0000km on it. Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed resistance somewhere in the car. At first I figured it was the adverse weather (there was a lot of snowfall the week before last in Atlantic Canada), but since it's been clear, it's still apparent. Normally I get around 8-9L/100km according to the trip computer with my usual daily work commute, plus a bit of running around, and it hasn't deviated much from that since I've owned the car. Lately though it's been creeping up in the 11-12L/100km range, with the exact same commute, more or less similar amounts of errands, and no real change in driving habit. I do drive somewhat aggressively, but even when I tone it down it still has really bad readings.

To further elaborate besides the trip computer, on certain routes where I know for a fact I can coast through, I've lately been having to give the car gas to keep from slowing down too much. One example is an off ramp from one highway to another on my way home, I used to be able to coast into it and have to brake when the off ramps turn becomes too sharp to stay at the current speed. Lately though, I've had to keep some gas on the engine to keep from dropping speed to far on the other highway, and more gas through the ramp than normal.

I've had a few suggestions as to what it might be from friends that are more familiar with cars than I am. Stuff like warped rotor, low tire pressure, seized brake caliper, park brake cable problem, oil life, etc. My tire pressure is fine, and my oil still has half life left to it at least. It can't be a warped rotor because I feel no pulsation in the brake pedal, and I don't believe it's a seized caliper because the car doesn't drag to one side, it drags like I have a trailer stuck on it -- and I doubt a caliper on each side seized at the same time. Not only that but after driving around this weekend more extensively than usual, no one of the four wheel hubs have felt any hotter than the rest (something someone suggested for detecting a brake issue).

So now my question, I've noticed, especially in this forum, a lot of threads about problems with the Ford DCT. To be honest, it kind of feels like the resistance is in the transmission. I'm going to book a service appointment tomorrow with Ford, since the powertrain should still be under warranty. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to confirm that the DCT is the problem, or if there is something else I am forgetting and if there's anything specific I should tell the service desk?
Hi Asera,

Were you able to book an appointment with your dealer? Once that is done, please PM me your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and servicing dealer so I can look into this for you.

Bianca

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordFocus @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/FordCanada

Bookmarks & Social Networks