2013 MK3 Amp and Sub Install. Advice Needed - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
TrinidadJustin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108669
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TrinidadJustin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 MK3 Amp and Sub Install. Advice Needed

Hey everyone I have 13 focus sedan SE with the factory 6 speaker system with sync. I would like to install an amp and a sub to the factory head unit. I understand that I have to use a LOC(line out converter) to make the sound clean.

I decided I would purchase either an Audio Control LC2i or LC6i. The main problem I'm having is trying to figure out the difference and which one in the long run I'll need. I would like to also upgrade the front and rear speakers as well later on. These are the products I'm looking to purchase.

AudioControl LC6i OR LC2i

Pioneer TS-W260D4 Champion Series 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils. Its rated at 350 watt RMS. - http://amzn.to/1cJDkgS/

and also the appropriate amp i plan to do one amp for the sub and one for the speakers.

1. My questions are what is the difference between the LC2i or LC6i?

2. Which LOC would be better to use if I wanted to hook up the amp, sub, front and rear speakers along with the tweeters?

3. Any advice on good amps? The sub is 350 watts rms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127930
What I Drive: 2014 Dark Gray SE

Points 117, Level 2
Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2 Points: 117, Level: 2
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Metalcrack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinidadJustin View Post
Hey everyone I have 13 focus sedan SE with the factory 6 speaker system with sync. I would like to install an amp and a sub to the factory head unit. I understand that I have to use a LOC(line out converter) to make the sound clean.

I decided I would purchase either an Audio Control LC2i or LC6i. The main problem I'm having is trying to figure out the difference and which one in the long run I'll need. I would like to also upgrade the front and rear speakers as well later on. These are the products I'm looking to purchase.

AudioControl LC6i OR LC2i

Pioneer TS-W260D4 Champion Series 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils. Its rated at 350 watt RMS. - http://amzn.to/1cJDkgS/

and also the appropriate amp i plan to do one amp for the sub and one for the speakers.

1. My questions are what is the difference between the LC2i or LC6i?

2. Which LOC would be better to use if I wanted to hook up the amp, sub, front and rear speakers along with the tweeters?

3. Any advice on good amps? The sub is 350 watts rms.
The difference is the amount of outputs you have. 2 v 6 channels of signals.

If you really want the fader option to work on your HU you have to do the 6i.

Essentially you will hook up the front speaker outputs up to get a 2 channel system. From there you have a full range signal. You can send that to any amp, and use the amps on-board filter to use either HP for your highs and mids, or LP for your sub. Couple that with amps that have a full range RCA output, and the 2i would work for your fronts and subs. You can use the full range out to another amp for your sub.

I wouldn't bother amping the rears, as they don't matter in the long run.

Asking for an amp suggestion is tricky as there are literally 1000s of amps. With the final load of 2 ohms for that sub, not too many 4 channel amps can make the most of that sub. Better off with a 5 channel (that has a dedicated sub channel stable at 2 ohms). Something like the Massive Audio NX5 would be perfect

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Audio-NX5.html
Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
TrinidadJustin
Focus Rookie

Okay that helped a lot thanks for your quick reply. So let me just make sure I have it right. I want to do one amp for the sub a mono block and one amp for the speakers I guess a 2 channel. Am I able to use the LC2i to hook up the two amps? One 2 channel the speakers and one mono block for the sub. Ill be posting pictures of everything once I buy it and start install to help clear it up for others.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
TrinidadJustin
Focus Rookie

I just needed slight clarification on tapping into the wire speakers. I have a RF X600.5 5 channel amp and LC2i. I wanted to know if the speaker level outputs from the LC2i are tapped into the same place as the speaker wires running from the amp. For example the left front negative on the wiring harness is the white wire. So do i tap the front left negative wire coming from the LC2i and the front left negative wire coming from the amp into the speaker harness white left front negative wire? Do i tap them in at the exact same position? or should i tap the LC2i slight above or below the tap for the speaker amp wire i.e tap in two different places on that same wire. Look at the two pictures below. Also since this is LC2i I know I will only be tapping into the front the speakers with it but I have the same 5 channel amp as OP so ill be tapping into all 8 wires for that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford harness.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	36074  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fordharness2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	36082  

Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
AeR0_84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89717
What I Drive: 12,Focus,Black,Hatch,5spd,sport pkg

Points 1,395, Level 20
Points: 1,395, Level: 20 Points: 1,395, Level: 20 Points: 1,395, Level: 20
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AeR0_84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
does your amp have a low level in?

if so why not just wire it that way?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Points 117, Level 2
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Okay that helped a lot thanks for your quick reply. So let me just make sure I have it right. I want to do one amp for the sub a mono block and one amp for the speakers I guess a 2 channel. Am I able to use the LC2i to hook up the two amps? One 2 channel the speakers and one mono block for the sub. Ill be posting pictures of everything once I buy it and start install to help clear it up for others.
It depends. All amps have RCA ins for signals to amp. Some have full range outputs too. This way it can pass those signals on down the line. That would be nice and easy.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Points 117, Level 2
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
I just needed slight clarification on tapping into the wire speakers. I have a RF X600.5 5 channel amp and LC2i. I wanted to know if the speaker level outputs from the LC2i are tapped into the same place as the speaker wires running from the amp. For example the left front negative on the wiring harness is the white wire. So do i tap the front left negative wire coming from the LC2i and the front left negative wire coming from the amp into the speaker harness white left front negative wire? Do i tap them in at the exact same position? or should i tap the LC2i slight above or below the tap for the speaker amp wire i.e tap in two different places on that same wire. Look at the two pictures below. Also since this is LC2i I know I will only be tapping into the front the speakers with it but I have the same 5 channel amp as OP so ill be tapping into all 8 wires for that correct?
Look at your bottom picture. Reverse the 2 and you're good. The top portion goes to the lc2i and the bottom goes to the speakers. DO NOT DO AS THE TOP PIC and tie them all together. Disconnect the connector so you have room to work, unwrap the tape a bit so you have room to tap. I tried taps and quit midway through the second wire and started to solder them.

The LC2i only give two channels, so you can't tap the fronts and rears. Best off running the rear speakers off HU power, bridging channels 1&2 and 3&4 to power the front speakers (if they can handle the powah) and running the sub off channel 5.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Points 117, Level 2
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeR0_84 View Post
does your amp have a low level in?

if so why not just wire it that way?
I've heard may people just don't have good luck. The Audiocontrol units are solid and work as described.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
TrinidadJustin
Focus Rookie

Metal crack thanks for breaking it down. Funny thing is I actually did it the way you just said not to lol. Took me awhile to realize what was going on this is my first install. Anyway I figured it out and yeah definitely realized I should've went with an lc6 or lc7I in the first place so thats on its way. Im going to snap some pics once I run some all copper 4 strand wire to the harness instead of the cca walmart stuff I have now lol plus its twisted/taped. I picked up a solder iron but would some heat shrinking splice crimps be sufficient?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
TrinidadJustin
Focus Rookie

Another question im replacing all door speakers. I understand the rear installation. However for the front speakers i want to know is the crossover for the tweeter integrated with the stock woofer. Where does the tweeter connect? The reason im asking is because I purcahsed the rockford fosgate punch p165 s. They have a built in crossover in the woofer and you simply just hook the tweeter to it. Would these speakers work in place of the srock ones?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.