Valve readjustment??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
en_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99071
What I Drive: 2009 Frosted Glass Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 en_focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Valve readjustment???

Hello all. Here's the low down: I have a 2009 Ford Focus SE Automatic and I have been hearing some clinking/rattling in my engine bay. I'm assuming it is coming from the valve area and a few other gear heads I know say the same thing. One of them says that I need to readjust the valves and the other says they may be damaged. Now I haven't seen how to do a valve adjustment on a ford focus but I have seen how to do it on a honda... would it be almost the same way or is there more to it? Two, has anybody done there own valve readjustment before? If so can you give me any hints, ideas, tips, and specs on doing so? I currently don't have any video on it for the simple fact that my audio sucks. I plan to have one of my buddies record it and then I will upload it later so that way I can post it up and maybe somebody can give me an idea more or less of what my problem is! I've seen other threads talking about serpentine belt tensioner, heat shields, etc. I still believe it is coming from the valve area because that is where I hear most of the sound from. I don't know if this helps but I purchased the vehicle when it had 28,000 miles on it and now it currently has about 49,000 miles and as far as I know no work has been conducted on it. Once again any and all help will be much appreciated! thanks

If any other information is needed feel free to ask...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,316, Level 93
Points: 23,316, Level: 93 Points: 23,316, Level: 93 Points: 23,316, Level: 93
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There's no valve adjustment on your engine. All you can do is measure the clearance of the cam follower (the "bucket") and if necessary, replace it with proper size. Some engines use followers with replaceable shims, but not yours.

I HIGHLY doubt that is the problem though. I don't see why they would be worn out at your mileage.

I would perform an oil change and use a quality filter if it's close to that time. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of crap to get in there and make some noise by way of dropping pressure. Also make sure you don't have an exhaust leak at the manifold. That can also sound like what you are describing.

On a funny note, your post sounds like an ASE exam question:

Two technicians are discussing possible valvetrain noise on a 2.0 Duratec. Technician A says the valves may need to be adjusted. Technician B says the valves may be damaged. Who is correct?

A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both
D. Neither

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
en_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99071
What I Drive: 2009 Frosted Glass Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 en_focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
There's no valve adjustment on your engine. All you can do is measure the clearance of the cam follower (the "bucket") and if necessary, replace it with proper size. Some engines use followers with replaceable shims, but not yours.

I HIGHLY doubt that is the problem though. I don't see why they would be worn out at your mileage.

I would perform an oil change and use a quality filter if it's close to that time. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of crap to get in there and make some noise by way of dropping pressure. Also make sure you don't have an exhaust leak at the manifold. That can also sound like what you are describing.

On a funny note, your post sounds like an ASE exam question:

Two technicians are discussing possible valvetrain noise on a 2.0 Duratec. Technician A says the valves may need to be adjusted. Technician B says the valves may be damaged. Who is correct?

A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both
D. Neither

Ha now that I think about it does seems like a test question! Yeah when I rev the engine I hear this whistling sound like air is being sucked in as well and I don't know if that would be the same problem. Should I take it in to Ford to let them take a look at it and tell me? Or would they just try to scam me by doing that? What would you suggest ass a good filter? Thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks