Does Ford own part of Apple? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MFT screen resolution appears to be around 800x480, why bother connecting a console or video player at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
MFT screen resolution appears to be around 800x480, why bother connecting a console or video player at all?
Bigger screen than my 4.3" phone..LOL That's the same resolution as my cheapo Android tablet. Another way to go Ford for using low res screens, or maybe that goes to Microsoft..LOL
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsimms63 View Post
This is the only reason I can fathom for why Ford would put an ANALOG interface in the center arm rest to hook up a video source for the MFT screen.
Quote:
Bigger screen than my 4.3" phone..LOL That's the same resolution as my cheapo Android tablet. Another way to go Ford for using low res screens, or maybe that goes to Microsoft..LOL
The reason is very simple: It comes down to cost vs. benefits.

Most of the parts used in the car could be made better (quality and/or functionality) at an increased cost.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
This should answer the OP's question. If anything, Apple would own part of Ford, I think Apple's market cap is way larger than Ford's.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-connected-car
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
This should answer the OP's question. If anything, Apple would own part of Ford, I think Apple's market cap is way larger than Ford's.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-connected-car
Well that article proves my point that Ford designed Sync around Apple products, and NOT the more popular Android based products:
"It’s not that Ford doesn’t love Apple. In fact, the iPhone is a core device in its Microsoft-powered connected-car platform, Sync, which requires a smartphone to connect to the Internet and to host the infotainment apps Sync ultimately runs. In that sense, Ford wants to integrate with the world’s most popular smartphone as closely as possible."
How can you say that the Apple smartphones are the most popular when there are more Android based phones and tablets around? I think Ford might have missed something, kind of like not putting AppSync on the FMT system.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Resolution isn't the same as physical screen dimensions. Most new phones have resolutions higher than 480x800. A $200 Nexus 7 tablet blows away the MFT screen and it's portable.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Resolution isn't the same as physical screen dimensions. Most new phones have resolutions higher than 480x800. A $200 Nexus 7 tablet blows away the MFT screen and it's portable.
I know this, someone had asked why you would hook up a console to a low res screen like the MFT, and I said because its screen was BIGGER than my phone's, which is only 4.3". I was saying that the low res 480x800 MFT screen had the same resolution as my $50 Android tablet. I never stated that size was the same a resolution. Thanks for reading..LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
"How can you say that the Apple smartphones are the most popular when there are more Android based phones and tablets around?"

Kind of like:

How can you say the Focus is the most popular car in the world when there are more compact and sub-compact cars around.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Well that article proves my point that Ford designed Sync around Apple products, and NOT the more popular Android based products...
That is clearly not the case.

The iPhone had (or still has) Bluetooth compatibilty problems with MFT whereas many other phones (including Android, Windows Phone, Symbian, etc.) haven't.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
That is clearly not the case.

The iPhone had (or still has) Bluetooth compatibilty problems with MFT whereas many other phones (including Android, Windows Phone, Symbian, etc.) haven't.
Well they said it in the article, not me. But by seeing an analog connection in the console, and I've seen iPhones and iPads with this sort of hook up for watching content on a larger screen TVs, I figured they were catering to the Apple crowd. Just saying, with all this technology, why would you use an analog connection instead of a digital one, just seems like a waste. I'll never be able to use the feature, so it's kind of a waste, at least for me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks