where is the stock amp - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
rezinated
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145298
What I Drive: 2014 metallic tuxedo black

FF Reputation: 1 rezinated Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
where is the stock amp

Where is the stock amp? Is there one? Can I just upgrade the stovk amp and later upgrade wiring and speakers? Btw I have the sync package

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
NSOMNIAC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109031
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Focus Titanium

Points 99, Level 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 NSOMNIAC Good Standing Member
My amp is located behind the rear seat on the left, by the spare tire. I have a titanium so it has the full size spare with a styrofoam spacer and the amp is in one of the compartments of the styrofoam.
Sedan Revolution Member #274
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
WaterRooster
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98157
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 WaterRooster Good Standing Member
Like he said... Trunk it is!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
block
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 133889
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE 5 speed

Points 221, Level 4
Points: 221, Level: 4 Points: 221, Level: 4 Points: 221, Level: 4
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 block Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRooster View Post
Like he said... Trunk it is!
Same for the hatch? If there is an amp, that means the incoming wires would be at pre-amp level...that would be good news. Is that amp for the door speakers?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Bmccomas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155962
What I Drive: Black 2014 Ford Focus Titanium 4Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Bmccomas Good Standing Member
You are in luck, I had to go to my car anyway so I snapped a few pictures for you.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Bmccomas
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
Same for the hatch? If there is an amp, that means the incoming wires would be at pre-amp level...that would be good news. Is that amp for the door speakers?
The location for the hatch is identical. I can get you pictures of that this weekend when I see my girlfriend. I have a '14 Ti Sedan. She has a '14 Ti Hatch. Both with identical options.

The wires however, from what I have heard, are NOT pre-amp levels. The amp, and the sub levels are controlled by the head unit. To do a normal amp install you need to tap into the front speakers (I am fuzzy on this, but I read that you have to use the front door speakers instead of the rears because of how the stock head unit handles the sound processing) and wire in a Line Out Converter. Conversely if you don't like the way that will sound (like poop if you also upgrade your speakers at some point), or you don't want to go cutting into your factory wire harnesses you can buy something like this http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pxe-h660/ with the Mk3 adapter so it is essentially Head unit>PXE-H660>Factory Harness. Very easy install, and just as easy to return to dead stock if need be.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
block
Focus Enthusiast

Points 221, Level 4
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
I've seen the PXE-H660 before. It confuses me....seems like it's just some resistors with added "sound processing" (high and/or low pass filters?). It's not an amplifier, so an amp would still be needed, right?

There are amplifiers which accept full level inputs. That's all that would be needed between the head unit and speakers. One model fits nicely behind the dash - probably saw it on this site.

I don't have the factory subwoofer...I assume that's the thing on the right/passenger side in your second to last image?

I noticed the foam under the "trunk"...really surprised me...seems unnecessary and wastes a bit of space. Hopefully it passes the test of time.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
block
Focus Enthusiast

Points 221, Level 4
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
The text on that page seems to state that it has a real time equalizer where it measures (microphone?) the actual sound, and compares measured sound to the expected sound, and then makes needed adjustments?

- Automatic measurement and correction of factory sound processing, both time and frequency problems simultaneously.
- Dynamic frequency allocation to apply hundreds of points of correction to areas where the sound problems are greatest

Nothing will get SNR back though...any noise /distortion added by the factory amp will still be there.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Bmccomas
Focus Rookie

Quote:
I've seen the PXE-H660 before. It confuses me....seems like it's just some resistors with added "sound processing" (high and/or low pass filters?). It's not an amplifier, so an amp would still be needed, right?

There are amplifiers which accept full level inputs. That's all that would be needed between the head unit and speakers. One model fits nicely behind the dash - probably saw it on this site.

I don't have the factory subwoofer...I assume that's the thing on the right/passenger side in your second to last image?

I noticed the foam under the "trunk"...really surprised me...seems unnecessary and wastes a bit of space. Hopefully it passes the test of time.
Yes, the PXE-H660 is just a signal processor. You would still need an amp. The reason you would want a signal processor is because the factory head unit does all kinds of things to the sound signal. The stock head essentially creates a signal designed to make the stock speakers flat and manages volume levels to each speaker ensuring you cant overdrive them. Then comes the problem of cutting into your wiring harnesses, which is guaranteed to mean your warranty on the MFT, Sync, and radio will be void (possibly the electrical system itself if Ford really wants an excuse and the amps werent installed perfectly).

In short, you NEED a signal processor of some sort. Whether that be the Alpine, another brand, or built into your amp. Without it you are going to be pushing sound out to speakers without any way of controlling their levels, the EQ, etc Also depending on how you do it, you very well may lose the steering wheel controls. The PXE basically just makes everything clean and plug-and-play with zero modifications to the factory wiring or sound system.

Yes the speaker on the right side of the second picture is the factory sub.

For the foam... It does seem to be well made (it is closed cell and decently heavy) I wonder though if it is really just there as a place to put the amp, and store the jack/wrench. It would suck if you lost the foam pad on the spare though because while the cover is pretty strong, any weight in the center of it would probably cause it to fold or collapse.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
Bmccomas
Focus Rookie

Quote:
The text on that page seems to state that it has a real time equalizer where it measures (microphone?) the actual sound, and compares measured sound to the expected sound, and then makes needed adjustments?

- Automatic measurement and correction of factory sound processing, both time and frequency problems simultaneously.
- Dynamic frequency allocation to apply hundreds of points of correction to areas where the sound problems are greatest

Nothing will get SNR back though...any noise /distortion added by the factory amp will still be there.
That is all correct. It is the way Alpine decided to overcome factory heads doing their own signal processing before it ever comes out the pins. If it wasn't for the microphone Alpine would need to reverse engineer the signal processors in each head unit, for each car, from each manufacturer and that just isn't possible for obvious reasons

Your last point is true, however the entire point of the Alpine is to use a non-factory amp. You will always have noise in your signal unless you are building a money-is-no-object type system and running all of your own wires to every part of the car. The Alpine however will be leagues better than a simple LOC

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.