CAT Cams - Who's Actually Done It? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
02_z_x_3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53977
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 9 02_z_x_3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Ok ill come out of lurker mode. I have a set of their turbo grind cams. I ordered them with vct but am not going to use it, I wanted it there if I decided to change my mind. I am currently finishing my build. It has cosworth rods, je pistons, clevite h series bearings, all arp studs, 80# injectors, a gtx3076, and more I can't think of right now. It's still being put together but I have all of this and should be running within the next two months. The only person I ever found using these cams made 512whp at around 25psi and it made power until 7600 where he stopped, probably to the oil pump. It was called project Ivan and he's Greek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I don't think it's really uncharted territory, just that those who do have them aren't the internet type. Maybe someone on a Caterham site has them but doesn't cross post, I haven't looked. I can't see the both CFM and Massive are stocking them for nothing (Karl only does 1 grind from my understanding).
I'm quickly realizing that most of the serious SVT/ST170 N/A builds are not in a Focus at all. I'll have to lurk on the Caterham, and other Euro-based forums and see what else I can find, I suppose.

I"ll give Karl a call one of these days. I was thinking of going with the most aggressive grind that uses a stock camshaft (the ones that say "slight compression increase recommended), as the ones that are even more aggressive than that require valve train work.

I'd really like to know what to expect before just dropping this kind of money though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_z_x_3 View Post
Ok ill come out of lurker mode. I have a set of their turbo grind cams. I ordered them with vct but am not going to use it, I wanted it there if I decided to change my mind. I am currently finishing my build. It has cosworth rods, je pistons, clevite h series bearings, all arp studs, 80# injectors, a gtx3076, and more I can't think of right now. It's still being put together but I have all of this and should be running within the next two months. The only person I ever found using these cams made 512whp at around 25psi and it made power until 7600 where he stopped, probably to the oil pump. It was called project Ivan and he's Greek.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There was someone in Europe that did put Cat Cams in a SVT engine, but it was put into an older Fiesta. So, weight was a good factor for more gain.

Plus they also did the ITBs, which is a whole different topic all together.

From what I understand, the Cat Cams are the only other cams that were slightly better than the SVTs. You would have to get an aggressive tune and have an aggressive tuner to help you.

The SVT Cams are very aggressive and many have claimed, both users and sellers alike, that the SVT Cams are equivalent to a Stage 3 Standard Zetec upgrade.

So, really going the Cat Cam way, isn't exactly the best in terms of cost. But like you, I have also been wanting to see for myself.

Ray
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Shocktech102
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77975
What I Drive: '00/'02 CD Silver SVT Sedan #4628

FF Reputation: 1 Shocktech102 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Maybe you want to do a little research. Lets say cost for one.
I have done research. Are you claiming that the stock svt cams that are comparable to stage 3 zetec cams are really worth the $750 and performance gains that are likely to be minimal compared to upgrading cams on a zetec? I mean, because we are arguing over opinions after-all.

-Matt
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
you know what i say garf. its your car. and i want to do them on mine as well. just to see what's up. hell even if i get close to those numbers it's a gain. drivability may suffer. but if we were after drivability we'd have automatics.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
what i think he is saying is that your money would be better spent elsewhere. you might be looking at a 15whp gain if you are lucky give or take for all that money spent where as if you spent that money and a little more you could lay your hands on a second hand JRSC or something like that and get as much as a 70 or 80whp gain. or you could spend the money on nitrous and have as much as a 100-150whp gain. the only issue with nitrous is that its a little volatile if you dont have a good tune and it isnt on tap all the time. or you could save up a little bit more and buy a second hand turbo kit and DOUBLE your whp. the problem with turbo kits is the cost. you will be lucky if you can get everything you need to turbo your svt and get it tuned for under 2500 bucks. but with all 3 of those options you are getting more whp per dollar spent than you would get from cams or bolt ons. also the stock cams work really well with boost and all 3 of those options i listed will still keep the driveability of the car very good even in traffic. going with super aggressive cams will kill the driveability. there is also the problem with the fact that going with more aggressive cams will push the power band into a higher rev range and the svt zetec like the normal zetec is limited to about 7400-7600rpms because of the oil pump. camming the svt simply isnt a very cost effective performance mod unless you are doing it as a supporting mod for a much bigger build like an all out 250whp N/A build that revs to 9k rpms or a 700whp turbo build. however with either of those you would ether need a billet oil pump gear (which is no longer available ANYWHERE, i know, i have looked) or you would have to go to a dry sump oil system. you would also likely have to get the head machined to clearance for the bigger cams and would also need much better springs and retainers to help with valve float.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
BlkNite713
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88254
What I Drive: 2002 Viper Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BlkNite713 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
All said and done hes looking at a 1500$ job IMO with head gaskets, head work for clearance for new retainers, valves, ect.... There is a reason most people don't run aftermarket cams and there is such a small vendors that carry them. To get the most out of new cams I'd get the heads ported and oversize the valves 1mm. But honestly if this is on a NA build you will NOT see a 15hp gain. It is almost impossible to hit 200hp NA on the SVT without going 2.3L stroker. If your doing it for the awesome idle sound which is understand haha and money isn't a concern then go for it man! But you'll come to see that the 1500$ you pour in will only get you a meager 7-12hp on a well tuned engine. I'd stay stock cams because ford racing basically maxed out the head and cams from factory. There are those that say otherwise, but unless your going turbo and planning to run over 400whp I wouldn't touch anything on the heads.

Anthony
-Semi Built Tranny(Torsen/Clutchmaster)
-Triplex Comp CT2 Billet HF-X

Last edited by BlkNite713; 03-19-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Accidentally sent incomplete message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Shocktech102
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
what i think he is saying is that your money would be better spent elsewhere. you might be looking at a 15whp gain if you are lucky give or take for all that money spent where as if you spent that money and a little more you could lay your hands on a second hand JRSC or something like that and get as much as a 70 or 80whp gain. or you could spend the money on nitrous and have as much as a 100-150whp gain. the only issue with nitrous is that its a little volatile if you dont have a good tune and it isnt on tap all the time. or you could save up a little bit more and buy a second hand turbo kit and DOUBLE your whp. the problem with turbo kits is the cost. you will be lucky if you can get everything you need to turbo your svt and get it tuned for under 2500 bucks. but with all 3 of those options you are getting more whp per dollar spent than you would get from cams or bolt ons. also the stock cams work really well with boost and all 3 of those options i listed will still keep the driveability of the car very good even in traffic. going with super aggressive cams will kill the driveability. there is also the problem with the fact that going with more aggressive cams will push the power band into a higher rev range and the svt zetec like the normal zetec is limited to about 7400-7600rpms because of the oil pump. camming the svt simply isnt a very cost effective performance mod unless you are doing it as a supporting mod for a much bigger build like an all out 250whp N/A build that revs to 9k rpms or a 700whp turbo build. however with either of those you would ether need a billet oil pump gear (which is no longer available ANYWHERE, i know, i have looked) or you would have to go to a dry sump oil system. you would also likely have to get the head machined to clearance for the bigger cams and would also need much better springs and retainers to help with valve float.
This is exactly what I was saying. I didn't really think I had to draw it all out like you did, but maybe I should have. I personally would save the money money and save a little extra and get something that is really going to put a dent in the whp #'s. But, that is just me.

-Matt
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktech102 View Post
This is exactly what I was saying. I didn't really think I had to draw it all out like you did, but maybe I should have. I personally would save the money money and save a little extra and get something that is really going to put a dent in the whp #'s. But, that is just me.

-Matt
How's your motor mounts, suspension, control arms to put the hp you down?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #20
Shocktech102
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
How's your motor mounts, suspension, control arms to put the hp you down?
I'm unsure of what you're asking me? Are you asking me personally what I am running?

-Matt

Bookmarks & Social Networks