Exhaust Overhaul Questions for 2001 ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
The_Total_Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111730
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 The_Total_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Exhaust Overhaul Questions for 2001 ZX3

Hey Focus Fanatics,

I've been reaping the benefits of this site and i've finally come to the point where I need some help. I'm planning on doing up my exhaust within the next month, but i'm at a loss with the catalytic converter and the flexpipe.

I've already decided on the pace setter 'shorty' for the manifold. For the cat-back i'm pretty settled on the Spec-D one, as cheap as it is i've heard good things (this is up for debate). But I need to figure out what i'm doing between all of that, specifically the catalytic converter. Are there any particular brands anyone's had luck with? I'm looking for something I wouldn't have to weld (I don't trust myself with that).

Also I've heard a lot about those "bung" things? What is the benefit to having that? I certainly realize it's illegal as a driving car but what about a track toy**? Would it be some sort of strait pipe in leu of that?

Lastly, the flex pipe, is it worth replacing? Or do most kits come with this?

Thanks for all the help in advance, this site has been a pretty sweet reference for me

** legal stuff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (44)
If you are wanting to remain street legal you would need to keep the catalytic converter. That is if your state has emissions and vehicle inspections. The only way you could get away with running a straight pipe minus all the other equipment is to have the car as a track only car meaning that you can't register it to be driven on public roadways. But, if you really want to get the most bang for your buck and still remain legal, you can find a used SVT header, SVT catalytic converter and SVT flex pipe along with a 2.25" or larger exhaust. Then you would also need a tune to optimize everything as well. If you ask me, the Pacesetter header is a waste of money. It will rust to pieces before you know it.

But as I said, it depends on your state inspections as to what you can do. If you don't have emissions or vehicle inspections you can probably get away with running an SVT header with an off road pipe which essentially eliminates the catalytic converter.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You will not want the shorty header. it gives you no gain.

What is your budget for the whole exhaust system change...
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
The_Total_Focus
Focus Rookie

I'm aiming to do the whole thing for ~500, I realize it's a stretch but that's the goal.

and thanks Don, the bung idea is certainly not the way to go then, I'll check out the SVT parts and price them out.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Dont want to put a tangent on your plan but have you looked at this:
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail

$330 + $30 shipping to you for a good high quality 2.5" exhaust CAT Back. with choice of 5 different mufflers.

So $360 out of your $500 budget leaves you $140 for other changes. If you want to stay on budget then I would go with the Trubendz 2.5" flex pipe also for $140... that would put you only around a few dollars over budget. save for the SVT conversion, sell the flex to make up some of the cost.

Or after getting the CAT Back wait, and can check the FS section and see if you can score for an SVT exhaust header, cat and flex for around $250-$300 ish.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
The_Total_Focus
Focus Rookie

Very cool, that's a great site! I'll probably end up getting one of these, definitely more but i'll feel more comfortable with something more quality (warentee's pretty cool too)

Also, is there a benefit to using the SVT cat as opposed to a magnaflow or something similar? Is there a difference in size or is it just a better build?

btw dig the tick
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Thanks! The Tick is coming along... doing body work right now while waiting on availability of parts and funds to buy parts.

The SVT header requires you to convert the rest of the exhaust that is not replaced by a CAT back.

If you go with a SVT header you need: SVT header, SVT CAT, SVT Flex, SVT Oil Dipstick Tube, SVT PS Line (or bend your current line), EGR block off plate w/tune or EGR bung welded in.

a Tune is recommended in general with this because you can lean out at WOT. not sure any one had damaged the motor but you would lose power.

I believe the stock SVT CAT is higher flow then Zetec stock CAT. Your gains from this conversion is not from the change of the cat rather the change to a full length 4-2-1 header that the SVT is.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
The_Total_Focus
Focus Rookie

cool beans, well that definitely answered that, but that seems like a lot of work for that gain: would doing something like a magnaflow system be comparable? or is there really no comparison
Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

The SVT conversion is the single best "bolt on" performance mod that can be made on the Zetec. The HP gain per $ spent will be less on any other bolt on. the SVT header has shown solid gains in the 11HP mark at the wheels. With a Tune, and Dyno tuning Adjustable Cam Gears are some of the best mods that can be done on the Zetec. The only other way to get a higher HP increase per $ spent will be going forced induction.

You can also waken up your car by new springs and suspension changes that are relatively cheap.
Hatch Nation #42

Bookmarks & Social Networks