Cuts out intermittently in snowy weather. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
dfehring
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111520
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus Se 2.0 Ztech 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 dfehring Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Cuts out intermittently in snowy weather.

I love my 2001 ford focus Se 5 speed(152,000 miles) but I cannot figure this out so hopefully someone knows.... When I get on the highway and it dont matter what speed and its lightly snowing out or a semi drives by and splashes my car it feels like the car cuts out bad but then keeps going..This seems to happen every 20 miles or sometimes it happens alot when its in that setting..When it is dry outside no problems..I have replaced the plugs, wires and coil pack and have put dielectric grease on most of the sensors with still no change:(..Whats crazy about this the most is when i get it home and throw snow or salt water over the whole engine and transmission i cannot get it to do it.. Lastly there are no codes nor check engine lights so this leaves me to wonder what is wrong with this car? I have been dealing with this all winter..Please help me figure this out..Thanks.. Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,059, Level 27
Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfehring View Post
Whats crazy about this the most is when i get it home and throw snow or salt water over the whole engine and transmission i cannot get it to do it..
Umm...don't do that. It'll only possibly make things worse and won't help isolate the problem. Have a thorough look at the coil pack connector harness. (I see you replaced the coil.) Look for green/whitish corrosion indicating exposed wiring. Faulty wiring may also be brittle or the protective plastic covering may be cracked. You may need to pull back some of the black plastic protective wrap or tape on the wiring harness to expose any possible problems further up.

Check your battery cable connections for good measure, including the smaller gauge wires. They all need to be secure and clean.

Tracing an intermittent wiring problem requires attention to detail and patience but because it only misfires in damp conditions, you should have exposed copper wiring somewhere in the ignition circuit.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

Points 4,176, Level 41
Points: 4,176, Level: 41 Points: 4,176, Level: 41 Points: 4,176, Level: 41
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
What do you mean by " cuts out " .
Bogging or full power loss?

Sent from my LG-LG730
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
dfehring
Focus Rookie

I did what you said and looked at the wiring on the coil pack including taking off the black covering over the wire until it goes into the junction harness with nothing found.. I also took the crank sensor wire cover off until it goes into that junction of wires and i found nothing..As far as cutting out I mean it literally shakes the car when it cuts out..The car never looses power it just keeps going and it may not happen for another 15 miles or it will cut out for a bit and then go away when it is wet outside.. I have been working on cars at dealerships for 22 years but this has me stuck..please continue the advice.. On a normal sunny or dryish day the car works great.Thanks again..Dan
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

Points 563, Level 11
Points: 563, Level: 11 Points: 563, Level: 11 Points: 563, Level: 11
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Have the plugs and wires ever been changed? If not I would change them. Also check for signs of carbon tracking.

If the plugs and wires are fairly new, or you are replacing them use alittle dielectric grease on the plug boot. It could just be moisture that is causing a miss in the bad weather.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
dfehring
Focus Rookie

Yes In did replace the plugs, wires and coil pack. I also dielectric greased those areas..
Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,959, Level 71
Points: 11,959, Level: 71 Points: 11,959, Level: 71 Points: 11,959, Level: 71
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Electrical seems the obvious place to look, but since that's being looked at already i'll throw out another possibility.

What kind of air intake/filter is on the car now?

Stock with something not hooked up right, or many of the aftermarket systems, COULD possibly get enough water/ice on the filter element to temporarily restrict the intake.

Old style American cars with a heat riser to help de-ice the carb warmed & dried the air cleaner as well. Current vehicles don't have a system like this, so depending on the air inlet location dampness or even those snowflakes could find their way in to the filter.

I HAVE occasionally seen this happen, even with stock intake systems, on various vehicles when the weather conditions were JUST right.

Grabbin' at straws here, but when you're stuck even a wild idea is worth a thought...

luck!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
dfehring
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the replys.. I just put a stock motorcraft air filter in it along with motorcraft plugs and wires. I put a carquest coil on it though.. Whats crazy it my focus runs perfect when spraying the whole engine down with water or salt water or buckets of snow..So far the wiring looks perfect.. I am tempted to put a crank sensor in it but have yet to pull out the old one and check for cracks.. Any thoughts on that??
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

Points 563, Level 11
Points: 563, Level: 11 Points: 563, Level: 11 Points: 563, Level: 11
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
I would put the stock coil back on the car and see how it runs. My 95 Mystique never had a problem with the stock coil pack even after 200k miles.

Same with the stock coil pack on the Contour. more people have trouble with aftermarket ones then stock.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
dfehring
Focus Rookie

The stock coil had a cracks on #1 and #4 so thats why i replaced it.. Thanks though for the idea...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.