Radiator fans not working - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #41
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Cyle, do this; take a piece of wire, run from positive post @ battery to one of the female ports @ F2 with the fuse removed....the fans should activate
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #42
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107493
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 cylenotkyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
Cyle, do this; take a piece of wire, run from positive post @ battery to one of the female ports @ F2 with the fuse removed....the fans should activate
Ill check back in with results
If the fans don't activate what I do from there?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #43
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenotkyle View Post
What do you mean?
F2 does not get any voltage until the pcm reads input from CHT that the coolant temp is say 230*....pcm grounds low speed fan relay R16 (I think)
fan activates
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #44
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
F2 does not get any voltage until the pcm reads input from CHT that the coolant temp is say 230*....pcm grounds low speed fan relay R16 (I think)
fan activates
In a little less mechanical terms please. I'm more computer savoy and less mechanical.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #45
FocusRus
Focus Addict

If you run 12 volts from battery to the top of the fuse at location F2, the fan should run. This means that the cooling fan electrical wiring is sound, or good. Did you run the engine until the water temp got to 230 degrees.....only then will the fans engage
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #46
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
If you run 12 volts from battery to the top of the fuse at location F2, the fan should run. This means that the cooling fan electrical wiring is sound, or good. Did you run the engine until the water temp got to 230 degrees.....only then will the fans engage
I ran my engine after I replaced the resistor and after about 15 minutes of being idol the temperature gage started to go to the red and the fans didn't kick on.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #47
FocusRus
Focus Addict

If you disconnect the fan resistor connector, add power to the side that has the green/white wire.....you will have power at fuse 2 (F2).....if you do then the wiring is good
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #48
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The accumulator is the place where you bridge the 2 wires. It's located in the passenger fender under the passenger headlight. It looks like a big canister with an electrical connector plugging into the top of it. Unplug that connector, then bridge the 2 points on that connector with some wire, and tape up. That will trick your AC system into thinking you have good pressure. If you don't unplug the compressor, you will KO the compressor.

As far as the test mode, the coolant temp readout is in there. It might not be the exact numbers that I quoted. It will be some number according to the temperature that it is reading at the time. If it was working properly, on a cold engine, it would read very close to the ambient temperature- the temperature of the outside world. If the car is warm when you do this, then it will read whatever the temp is in the engine. When this goes bad it tends to show higher temps than actually exist. Which is why we recommend testing it against readings taken with an infrared thermometer on the upper radiator hose. If you see it jump to a wacky temp like 200 C where your hoses would melt, then you know the sender is bad.

Well... if the temp goes up to red, the fans should be on, so something is wrong between the ECU and the fan wiring.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #49
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The accumulator is the place where you bridge the 2 wires. It's located in the passenger fender under the passenger headlight. It looks like a big canister with an electrical connector plugging into the top of it. Unplug that connector, then bridge the 2 points on that connector with some wire, and tape up. That will trick your AC system into thinking you have good pressure. If you don't unplug the compressor, you will KO the compressor.

As far as the test mode, the coolant temp readout is in there. It might not be the exact numbers that I quoted. It will be some number according to the temperature that it is reading at the time. If it was working properly, on a cold engine, it would read very close to the ambient temperature- the temperature of the outside world. If the car is warm when you do this, then it will read whatever the temp is in the engine. When this goes bad it tends to show higher temps than actually exist. Which is why we recommend testing it against readings taken with an infrared thermometer on the upper radiator hose. If you see it jump to a wacky temp like 200 C where your hoses would melt, then you know the sender is bad.

Well... if the temp goes up to red, the fans should be on, so something is wrong between the ECU and the fan wiring.
So basically I'm unplugging this and putting wire in between it?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #50
sparkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114510
What I Drive: 2000 zx3 black and 2007 rio

FF Reputation: 1 sparkey Good Standing Member
Ok I kinda have the same prob other then both fans only come
On with the ac on OR defrost on any ideas? The cooling fan resistor
And plug to it look ok(not burnt)

Bookmarks & Social Networks