Radiator fans not working - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107493
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 cylenotkyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Radiator fans not working

My car started to overheat so I pulled over and put water in my radiator thinking that was it. But no. My fans werent kicking on. I know the secondary one is for my AC(which I never use) But my primary one wasnt. I replaced the rely and nothing. I also replaced the fuse and check all connections. I turned on the AC to see if the secondary fan came on but it didn't either. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You have to put direct current to the fan main harness to check each fan's operation. Also, if fans work hooked up directly to battery, then check the fan relays.
R9 cooling fan
R10 cooling fan
R15 High speed fan (ac)
R16 low speed fan
D2cooling fan diode
Check these out...........
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Fuse? Check your owner's manual or look up a PDF owner's manual (guide) online and that will have fuse locations with circuit descriptions.

The 2 common problems for the Zetec engine are the cooling fan plug-in connector gets overheated, cracks, and sometimes the wires simply break off.

The second problem is that the cooling fan resistor pack goes out. In that case, the AC trick should work. However if your AC doesn't have a charge or it's too cold for the AC come on, or the cabin air fan isn't coming in- then the AC won't turn the fans on. There are ways to bypass the AC controls to force the AC circuit to work and the fan to come on. If you want that information, you have to be careful to return everything to proper working order before you hook your compressor up again.

It can also be a bad CHT, especially if your engine temp is not showing on the gauge, or not showing correctly. Use the electronic odometer test mode trick to monitor actual engine temp readings and see if those are anywhere close to real world. If you have a friend with an infrared thermometer, that will be helpful in double checking the reading. I would not be surprised to see about a 5-10C (all CHT readings are in C) difference between an infrared thermometer and the CHT reading using test mode. To get into test mode: key off, press and hold odo reset button, turn key on, continue to hold reset button until odometer reads [test]. Release, now each time you press and release the odo reset button you'll scroll through one of 30 test functions. You are looking for one that reads [ 15 C] or whatever your ambient temperature should be in C at the time with a cold engine. The odometer will remain in test mode until you turn the key to the OFF position so you can start the engine in test mode, drive around, and see what happens.

I would inspect the cooling fan fuse, then plug-in connector and harness first for obvious signs of damage. If those are ok, then the problem is elsewhere.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

My ac doesn't work so I can't check it. I believe it is the resistor and ill be checking that out after work.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

It turned out to be the Resistor, anyone know any local places around NOLA to get one?

Resitor
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I would say the dealer......not available in auto part stores
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

Well I found a good one at a junk yard and its okay. But we checked the fuse with a check light and its not get power. We changed the fuse and still nothing. I did the direct connections from my battery to the fans and they work.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Which fuse are you checking? There are two for your model year; Fuse 2 and 6 in the battery junction box.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
cylenotkyle
Focus Enthusiast

On the top flap of the fuse box under the hood is has a diagram for the fuses and relays. I checked the 30 volt fuse which had the picture of the fan and the relays for fan 1 and 2. The fuse for the 30 volt use has no power going to it. Is right next to the fuse for the battery.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This is an image of your battery junction box looking down from above for the 2000 model year. (It's from your owner's manual.) The relevant fuses are numbered 2 and 6. Check both. One is a 30 amp fuse; the other is 50 amps. R15 and R16 are the relay locations for the cooling fans.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->