Valve Chippped? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
08FocusSESTurbo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77861
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 08FocusSESTurbo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Valve Chippped?

Has anyone ever seen a valve chip before?
Only thing I can think was that this valve was deffective but wanted to see what everyones thoughts were
My embed link does not want to work so use the link to see the pic

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=A1BC2...AEE7899A%21266

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
My guess is that isnt chipped but burned , by looking at the Cyl over all it was VERY hot , when you remove the valve look at it closely and see if it looks like it was cut with a torch type marks

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
08FocusSESTurbo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
My guess is that isnt chipped but burned , by looking at the Cyl over all it was VERY hot , when you remove the valve look at it closely and see if it looks like it was cut with a torch type marks

Tom
I probably won't be tearing it apart any further since I have no use for it, however this I believe to have been a progressive issue since my car has been running rough and getting progressively worse for longer then I care to admit to (2yrs+) lol
With that said its possible that now it is slightly burnt however I still think that it had chipped slightly in the beginning and over time it has burnt away to what you see now.
Would this have caused the p0420 error code?
When this 1st came up I noticed a crack in the exhaust manifold and assumed that's why it through the code however no other codes came up.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
CAT could of been stopped up and caused all of this , burned valve , cracked exh manifold both point to a lean excessive Cyl temps and would also make the engine run bad

My opinion is all of this is from a lean condition

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
08FocusSESTurbo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
CAT could of been stopped up and caused all of this , burned valve , cracked exh manifold both point to a lean excessive Cyl temps and would also make the engine run bad

My opinion is all of this is from a lean condition

Tom
It has an after market high flow CAT and I checked it you can see through it fine so didn't figure that was an issue. It was tuned for what it was running and ran fine up until I blew an IC pipe off after that is when I noticed an issue with power being slightly less then before.
I went over the entire car after it happened and could not find any issues. With in a month of this happening it started throwing the code so I went back over the car and found 3 holes in the down pipe. Had them patched cleared the code and with in a month it threw the code again so went back over everything and seen the crack in the exhaust manifold. I tried to patch this multiple times and it would always recrack since it was just a patch over and not being redone completely.
It is possible that it was running lean but since there was no wideband on the car I had no way to tell. An it was centralized to this cylinder all the other cylinders look normal. (see pic link below)
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a1bc2...Eqy259ABmYMpJw
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Ahhhh this is boosted , you should ALWAYS have a wideband o2 on a boosted car and working , how was it tunes with out a wideband ? your AF should of been in the 10.8 what was it tunes for

Makes more sense now , all the Cyl look lean to me or excessive heat which is caused by to much timing or a lean condition

The manidolds like those will always crack it isnt the right material and most dont weld them properly , I would look for a cast 1 piece manifold like you have pictures , why didnt you use it ?

I am not trying to give you a hard time just my opinions from 30+ years or engine building as well as building boosted cars and tuning

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
08FocusSESTurbo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahhhh this is boosted , you should ALWAYS have a wideband o2 on a boosted car and working , how was it tunes with out a wideband ? your AF should of been in the 10.8 what was it tunes for

Makes more sense now , all the Cyl look lean to me or excessive heat which is caused by to much timing or a lean condition

The manidolds like those will always crack it isnt the right material and most dont weld them properly , I would look for a cast 1 piece manifold like you have pictures , why didnt you use it ?

I am not trying to give you a hard time just my opinions from 30+ years or engine building as well as building boosted cars and tuning

Tom
I did not build this, I bought it this way.
This is the Fox Marketing Focus!

I bought the jdm manifold to replace the cracked manifold but it changed the angle of the down pipe enough that it would not work an since I daily my car I couldn't have any down time. Got lucky when this happened that my mom got a 2nd vehicle a month before or I woulda been screwed.

The car was tuned by mcnews so not sure how it was done but I assume they know what they are duing. It was suppose to be 252hp with 241tq at 10psi an when I 1st got it.
The car was a beast when I got it but after the IC blow off issue it was still fast but not like when I got it an I could never figure it out.

Since all this happened I contacted Top Speed last year and got a stainless steel top mount v band manifold with a turbo smart comp gate 40 with a stainless dump tube, gtx2863 turbo with tial .64 ar v band housing, custom stainless 3" v band down pipe with 3 bungs, new charge pipe with maf flange and turbo smart race port flange along with the turbo smart race port bov with the electronic contoller kit and a aem wideband uego gauge.

This year I bought the 4" v band exhaust they had on the 650hp focus and they are in the process of modifing it for my 08. Also bought the torsen diff they were selling. An I got a used engine and tranny from a crash test focus that had a side impact done with 154mi (replacement till I get mine built).

I had also upgraded to a Exedy Stage 4 Clutch kit a while back.

Theres still a few things I need to get to finish installing everything but its almost there. Hoping to get this new job soon so Ill have some more $ to spend cause things are tight right now but after I get it all done I may hit you up for a new tune right now $ is the only thing in my way lol
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lean & burned valve IMHO, running great until it breaks is a common description of running lean I've heard before...

Luck with the new build.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks