New to HIDs; Need a Hand - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
ATFIII
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110143
What I Drive: 2012 YBM Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 ATFIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Post New to HIDs; Need a Hand

Good evening Gents;

After having 3 cars and 3 motorcycles, I have decided that I want to get HIDs for my '12 YB Ti Sedan, and had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to when performing various searches. I know I want either of the three following combinations: all yellow, all blue, or yellow fogs and blue headlights.

Question-1: is it illegal to have four front-facing (as in heads and fogs) yellow or blue HID lights? I have heard conflicting information on vaious forums and would like to get your opinions.

Question-2: What would I need to cover everything to convert from normal bulbs to HIDs in the headlights and foglights, in the sence of all equipment needed and wattage? I have read about resistors and relays and ballasts and flux capacitors-- I can't get a clear answer.

Question-3: Where would you all recommend getting the HIDs?

Thank you very much for your time,

ATF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
KibaWolf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97035
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 KibaWolf Good Standing Member
to your first question, most of the states I know doesnt allow yellow or blue light, most state say that the light output must be white, so either 4300k/5000k/6000k HID would be fine, you could go with yellow for your fog light but this is still not legal, so I would stick again with 4300k/5000k/6000k if I was you, but that just my opinion, you will have less chance to get pulled over if you have white ish output than blue and yellow.

to your second question, I made a thread with everything that you need to make your HID work and tis also include a wiring diagrams to show you how to plug everything (the only difference since you come from US and not canada and so that you are not running DRL, just use the wiring diagram from my first post and not the one including a capacitor.)

Here is the link to my thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310684

to your 3rd question, I got my HID from http://vvme.com and I got the relay harness and resistor from http://retro-solutions.net

If you have any others question, feel free to pm me or ask me your question on your or my thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Yellow lights are legal in fog light applications in most states, there are even a few cars that come with OEM yellow fog lights. I wouldn't make them my headlights though and I really wouldn't put HID's in fog light housing because that's just going to make them useless in the fog.

Anything remotely blue for your headlights is hard on your eyes and decreases your visiblity at night. It's better to get either white or slightly yellow-ish light. I believe day light is somewhere between 5000k-6000k so something in that range probably would be good.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

Points 366, Level 7
Points: 366, Level: 7 Points: 366, Level: 7 Points: 366, Level: 7
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Anything remotely blue for your headlights is hard on your eyes and decreases your visiblity at night. It's better to get either white or slightly yellow-ish light. I believe day light is somewhere between 5000k-6000k so something in that range probably would be good.
I agree, 8k and up when the lights get blue to purple they put out next to nothing visibility wise at night and when adding rain its almost like your lights are not on.

Add to that the blue tends to be painful to other motorists.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
ATFIII
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KibaWolf View Post
to your first question, most of the states I know doesnt allow yellow or blue light, most state say that the light output must be white, so either 4300k/5000k/6000k HID would be fine, you could go with yellow for your fog light but this is still not legal, so I would stick again with 4300k/5000k/6000k if I was you, but that just my opinion, you will have less chance to get pulled over if you have white ish output than blue and yellow.

to your second question, I made a thread with everything that you need to make your HID work and tis also include a wiring diagrams to show you how to plug everything (the only difference since you come from US and not canada and so that you are not running DRL, just use the wiring diagram from my first post and not the one including a capacitor.)

Here is the link to my thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310684

to your 3rd question, I got my HID from http://vvme.com and I got the relay harness and resistor from http://retro-solutions.net

If you have any others question, feel free to pm me or ask me your question on your or my thread.
Thank you, I will be in touch!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
ATFIII
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Is there still any difference in reliability or anything between the 55W or 35W?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
KibaWolf
Focus Enthusiast

55w will allways be brighter than 35w, and they will pretty much have the same lifespan. Most people like 35w, but I personally prefer 55 watts as they have more light output, the wattage will also slighly effect the bulb color, 55w 6000k will be the same color as 35w 5000k bulb. for my setup I went with 55w 6000k which are allmost crystal white, I havent made a choice beetween 3000k yellow or 8000-10000k blue for my fog yet.

Last edited by KibaWolf; 03-11-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
what kit do you guys use. not to thread jack, but I am curious about this. I have machs with a bad ballast so i'm just gonna get a new kit
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
KibaWolf
Focus Enthusiast

visit http://vvme.com

automotive -> single beam hid kit -> h8(h11) -> 35w or 55w ? Your choice
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

Points 1,541, Level 22
Points: 1,541, Level: 22 Points: 1,541, Level: 22 Points: 1,541, Level: 22
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFIII View Post
Good evening Gents;

After having 3 cars and 3 motorcycles, I have decided that I want to get HIDs for my '12 YB Ti Sedan, and had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to when performing various searches. I know I want either of the three following combinations: all yellow, all blue, or yellow fogs and blue headlights.

Question-1: is it illegal to have four front-facing (as in heads and fogs) yellow or blue HID lights? I have heard conflicting information on vaious forums and would like to get your opinions.

Yes, you WILL get pulled over and possibly get a ticket (If you're a dick to the cop) for yellow headlights in Florida. Traditionally, anything other than white is illegal, although it does tend to vary by state.

Question-2: What would I need to cover everything to convert from normal bulbs to HIDs in the headlights and foglights, in the sence of all equipment needed and wattage? I have read about resistors and relays and ballasts and flux capacitors-- I can't get a clear answer.

If money isn't a big factor, you may just want to get them installed by a local shop. It sounds like you're unsure and you haven't done it before and there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Just a friendly tip.

Question-3: Where would you all recommend getting the HIDs?

Thank you very much for your time,

ATF
Your best bet is to go with white headlights and then put yellow bulbs in your fogs. It looks good and is legal.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992

Bookmarks & Social Networks