Hello from a Focus virgin, tips on what to check? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Smile Hello from a Focus virgin, tips on what to check?

Hello!

Just signed up here tonight after putting a deposit on a 2006 ZX4 SES today. It has 68,000 miles, 1 owner, and the total price will be $5000. It has the ground effects package and manual trans.

My husband won it for me on ebay :) We just sold one of our two jeeps this week and my sad little gas sipper is on the market (1988 Dodge Omni- hush, it's cool!) So we are headed over there to pick it up sometime this week and pay the remainder; and I was hoping for a few tips on anything Focus specific to look for, or do right away after getting it?

I'm pretty handy with cars, but my auto history has been all jeeps and chryslers with a few GM's and VW's thrown in for seasoning. This will also be the newest car I've ever had as well as my first Ford, so beside the obvious things to check for major issues on used cars is there anything specific I should check, look for, test, or take care of my first weekend?

Thank you a bunch, and glad to meet you all! I'm sure I'll have a billion questions soon, and hopefully my new car will be in the driveway by the end of the week!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
When you say ground effects package, do you mean the SAP (sport appearance package)?

'06 come with the 2.0 duratech engine. It's a good strong and reliable engine, one owner 68,000 miles for 5K is a very nice buy. The focus has a lot of potential either as a DD or a street monster.

Welcome to the forums BTW, Lots of great people and info to behold. Post up pics when you take delivery we all love pics.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's the best year and model! Well... I may be a bit biased though lol. That year is a very reliable model, with very few issues. The main thing to check is how the oil looks (of course) but other than that, there are no real model specific problems worth mentioning on the car.the only thing I can think of is that the intake manifold ticks after about 80k miles or so, and that's pretty normal. There are little flaps in there that go bad and cause a ticking noise.

that said, welcome to Focus fanatics! this forum is full of great people who will help with whatever question you may have!
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
That's the best year and model! Well... I may be a bit biased though lol. That year is a very reliable model, with very few issues. The main thing to check is how the oil looks (of course) but other than that, there are no real model specific problems worth mentioning on the car.the only thing I can think of is that the intake manifold ticks after about 80k miles or so, and that's pretty normal. There are little flaps in there that go bad and cause a ticking noise.

that said, welcome to Focus fanatics! this forum is full of great people who will help with whatever question you may have!
I was going to use a pic of your old blue SAP matt, but the only pic I could find was the muddy one. lol
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Sport appearance package! Haha, yes- that! I was wondering what he meant by "sport"... Derp. I wasn't able to find much about that designation other than styling.

Yes- very fond of the year, when I set out looking for a little car, my must haves were: no timing belt, parts available at orielly's, standard trans and low miles, takes regular gas. Can't bring myself to drive a Honda or yota, so I 'discovered' the Focus. :) ticking intake- I can handle that.

It's a two hour trip back from where the car is, so we'll have time to get aquainted- and yes, pictures! I'm a photographer, my paying specialty is car photography (no not the magazine stuff, beauty shots for owners, the rest of the stuff i do doesn't pay.. Haha) so, that will happen! I'm at linzwelch.com - the page is loading uber slow right now, sorry, if you do check it out.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Cool you'll fit right in here then, I'm far from a pro-photographer but I love to take pictures. Lots of great photographers on board here several guys and gals do it or a living. I'll be checking out that site as you read this. lol

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=54

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256974
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

WOW some great work, some favs already. You definitely have a different perspective of things awesome work.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Cool you'll fit right in here then, I'm far from a pro-photographer but I love to take pictures. Lots of great photographers on board here several guys and gals do it or a living. I'll be checking out that site as you read this. lol

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=54

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256974
Hey! How cool is that? I hadn't even poked into the off topic yet- that's awesome! Now, ill never leave :)

-and a BIG THANK YOU for checking it out! I just ported/launched the site last week, still working some issues out. I'm just finishing up my BFA this week, trying to take the portfolio in a different direction. Work in progress, all that.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
choate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103130
What I Drive: 2006 maroon zx4

FF Reputation: 3 choate Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensDriven View Post
Hello!

Just signed up here tonight after putting a deposit on a 2006 ZX4 SES today. It has 68,000 miles, 1 owner, and the total price will be $5000. It has the ground effects package and manual trans.

My husband won it for me on ebay :) We just sold one of our two jeeps this week and my sad little gas sipper is on the market (1988 Dodge Omni- hush, it's cool!) So we are headed over there to pick it up sometime this week and pay the remainder; and I was hoping for a few tips on anything Focus specific to look for, or do right away after getting it?

I'm pretty handy with cars, but my auto history has been all jeeps and chryslers with a few GM's and VW's thrown in for seasoning. This will also be the newest car I've ever had as well as my first Ford, so beside the obvious things to check for major issues on used cars is there anything specific I should check, look for, test, or take care of my first weekend?

Thank you a bunch, and glad to meet you all! I'm sure I'll have a billion questions soon, and hopefully my new car will be in the driveway by the end of the week!
NICE. I'm new on here and spend most of my time on a Mustang forum car wise and spent all my money on that car but I have a base model 06 zx4 65k when bought.....It has 74k on it now. Paid $6500 for it from dealer. The only things I've had to deal w/ is I've cleaned the intake throttle body area b/c the gas petal was sticking and didn't want to go down. Not sticking down but sticking up. Read about it on here, cleaned that area and it totally fixed it. Also, I've got a very small leak in the valve cover somewhere but I've just been too lazy to put a new one in even thought I have it b/c w/ synthetic oil in it is the only time it leaks. Regular oil doesnt seem to get past. That's it! Anyhow welcome and congrats. They are great little cars. I did change my transmission fluid too - that was easy, just did it b/c it had never been done, but mine is a manual. Is yours a 2.3l?

I drive mine to work almost every day. Great car. The Mustang is a garage queen
Team Duratec #29
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Choate: hi! Yes, it's the 2.0. Wanted he most mpg I could get in a cheaper car. Going to this from my husband and I both driving a 97' and a 00' jeep cherokee averaging maybe 16mpg. Our gas bill every month was getting silly. My omni has been on the road intermittently since I got it- but when it did feel like behaving it was about 26mpg, but I didn't trust it go anywhere out of town. Yeah, I was going to ask him if he'd already done the trans fluid, if not- I suppose it would be due sooner than later.

Gah! I want it! Can't wait to get up there and pick it up. We are still trying to figure out our schedules where the seller, my husband and I are all free and it's not midnight :) soon! ATM, I don't have anything to drive!

Bookmarks & Social Networks