Common problem or not..rear end links - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Fishnmaine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96185
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 Fishnmaine Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Common problem or not..rear end links

Noise came thru the front and back. And we all know noise travels. Anyways I replaced the front end links for which one was bad. Great! I though I took care of the problem. Front noise was gone but I still have a slight clunking noise out back. In this forum I've read mostly the front going. Are the rears prone to do the same? I jacked up the car tried to move things around to see if any bad bushings everything seems tight. And look fine. Links I can't move around.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Rear sway bar end links aren't as noted for this due to the design. The rubber bush links don't exhibit the noises loose ball & socket links like the front ones do, rear type is generally either OK or rusted out & broken....

Honestly, the most common "clunking" noise from out back is from the exhaust hitting bodywork, particularly if one of the few hangers is broken - followed by "rattles" from loose heat shielding. "Squeaks" as the suspension moves often come from brake cables rubbing in their guides.

I'm going to move this over to the "wheels, tires, suspension & brakes" area for you, as you might get more ideas from the folks in that area.

Luck!

Last edited by sailor; 03-10-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Typically, the only noise people complain of on the rear sway bar comes from those who have added a sway bar with Steeda's kit when they didnt have the mounts for a rear sway bar from Ford. That is the brackets shifting on the rear subframe.

Is the noise there at slow and higher speeds? Have you greased the bushings on the actual bar? Perhaps it is catching/slipping some and not moving smoothly. Are the endlinks overly tightened, causing a popping?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Fishnmaine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96185
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 Fishnmaine Good Standing Member
It does it over bumps like the front did...I'm wondering if the rubber bushing on top of the shock is gone.....But I am missing one bracket for the exhaust. But you would have to wiggle it excessively to touch. Sway bar bushings wouldn't make a clunking noise or would it?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Fattie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Hey , another mainer ! if you were closer id come over and help you figure it out.

If the rear sway bar links were gone , then the bar could clunk on the bottom on the control arm.

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->