Squeaking / creaking noise when braking normally (1 week after new discs and pads fitted) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
ian.culverhouse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111102
What I Drive: 2004, Blue, Ford Focus LS

FF Reputation: 1 ian.culverhouse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Squeaking / creaking noise when braking normally (1 week after new discs and pads fitted)

About 8 weeks ago I had the front discs and pads replaced on my 2004 Ford Focus LX (1.8 TDCI).

About a week after having the new brakes fitted the car developed a squeaking noise when I braked normally (gently), if I braked heavily then it did not appear to make a noise.

I took it back to the garage that had fitted the brakes but they claimed not to be able to hear anything so I took it to another garage for a second opinion. They could hear the noise and after checking everything, and because the car had not been making the prior to having the new brakes fitted, they suggested replacing the new set of discs and pads and assumed they must be faulty.

With the second set of discs and pads the car no longer made the squeaking noise, problem solved I thought.

However, once again, after 1 week of driving the noise had returned. The garage has no idea what the noise is and without being able to diagnose it I am reluctant to continually replace parts without knowing what is actually wrong. There doesn't appear to be any reduction in braking performance and the car doesn't pull to one side or judder to a halt, it purely seems to be a noise.

I've looked on YouTube and found this video of another car which makes the exact same noise, (listen between 00:01 sec - 00:16).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qCWckDLXi4

If anyone is able to offer any advice / suggestions I would be very grateful!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Well, the OP on youtube says it was a wheel bearing so I would start there if your car is making the exact same noise...

Also, what kind of pads did you install? Cheap brake pads are liable to create unwanted braking noise.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Tongue Punch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110691
What I Drive: 2004 Maroon 2.3L ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Tongue Punch Good Standing Member
If you figure out this proplem please post reply I just bought my car from a dealer and they replaced everything that was bad with the car. and after a long trip came home and while lightly braking im having this same problem. car is going in for service for a check engine light, ill bring up this noise and see what they say. i had a problem with this same noise on my moutaineer and it was the ball joints so could it be the same thing?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
ian.culverhouse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111102
What I Drive: 2004, Blue, Ford Focus LS

FF Reputation: 1 ian.culverhouse Good Standing Member
@mac.mogul, thanks for the suggestion. I saw the comment on the video re: the wheel bearing, I wasnt sure if this was correct as it doesnt sound like a bad bearing to me, normally that would be a clunk or whine in my experience.

@Tongue Punch, please do let me know if they say anything when you take the car in for a service, its quite reasurring that you've bought a car that has the same issue, but knowing that all necessary work had been done on it. I guess this should imply that its not a safety concern?? Just annoying.

If anyone else has any suggestions please leave a comment.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
gurkpimpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63495
What I Drive: 2001 Tornado Red Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 gurkpimpin Good Standing Member
Yeah I have the same noise..but I'm not worried about it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile
Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Noby Dick
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150634
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Noby Dick Good Standing Member
I know the last reply was posted over an year ago...

Hey guys, I've had this same exact problem for as long as I can remember from the time owning my focus. It sure doesn't seem like a safety issue as someone else stated and I don't believe it affects the brake frading rate. But still, IT IS ANNOYING!! So, has anyone actually figured out a result?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to "Brakes, suspension & Chassis"

Noises vary, hard to guess at yours. Some pads tend to "glaze" more than others, some don't have anti-squeal pads used on the back. Hard stop to clean 'em up works if they start squeaking after many soft stops. Anti-Squeal Goop on the backs when installing ones without pads can help any of that type.

S.R. #275

Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noby Dick View Post
Hey guys, I've had this same exact problem for as long as I can remember from the time owning my focus. It sure doesn't seem like a safety issue as someone else stated and I don't believe it affects the brake frading rate. But still, IT IS ANNOYING!! So, has anyone actually figured out a result?
Hey Noby Dick,

I recommend contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Centre at 0845-841-1111. They're in the best position to assist with this concern.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Noby Dick
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150634
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Noby Dick Good Standing Member
Thanks Sailor and Todd. Well like the previous person sated, I got my brakes done (fluid, rotor, and pad replacement) at the local ford dealer and they told me same thing the other person was told, "nothing is wrong". Mine usually makes a high pitch harmonic kind of squealing noise, kind of like a bird chirping when ever I use the brake. I'll try using the "goop" as sailor suggested on my next brake pad, rotor, fluid change. No offense, the dealer wasn't much of a help. LOL. Thanks guys for your replies :D
Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If you use them lightly as a rule, try a couple hard stops (much harder than you'd normally want to use) & see if the noise disappears. Often helps if those are the circumstances. Not all that uncommon.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks