Require detailed information on dual clutch transmission - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
It completely bewilders me that one would start ANOTHER thread on the DCT....
some people have no desire to read 50+ pages of ramblings and tangents to gain what little information is required here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Because the DCT, like all DCTs from now till the end of time, is a black box of witchcraft and unicorn rainbows.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
I am following the thread, the only observation that I have is that it's supposed to be an automated manual but the fluid recommendation is not for the manual trans fluid but the special dual clutch automatic trans fluid. I'd like to know why and what the differences are.
While it is an automated manual, the mechanism for changing gears is pretty different from a conventional manual. Instead of a strong human being using leverage to move gears around, you have an small electric servo motor doing the job. So I'd expect the DCT fluid to be formulated to allow gear shifts with the lowest possible effort, especially in cold weather. Plus, as the Focus is clearly a CAFE target car, general friction reduction would also be a priority.

While "normal" gearbox lubricants are something like 75w/90, it seems logical to assume the DCT stuff would be quite a bit thinner.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
While "normal" gearbox lubricants are something like 75w/90, it seems logical to assume the DCT stuff would be quite a bit thinner.
It is very much less viscous. DCT fluid has about the same viscosity as LV ATF.

~6.x cSt @ 100*C
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
It is very much less viscous. DCT fluid has about the same viscosity as LV ATF.

~6.x cSt @ 100*C
Yes, its viscosity is similar to ATF. Doing a little more research, the DCT fluid's CsT at 40 Centigrade is 32.2. Mobil1 75/90 manual gearbox fluid is 99 at the same temperature. Mobil1 0w/20 motor oil is 44.8 at 40C.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Focus805
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90582
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL HB 300A

FF Reputation: 1 Focus805 Good Standing Member
Per the Owner's Manual

Automatic transmission fluid
1.9 quarts (1.8L)1
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid2 XT-11-QDC

Automatic transmissions that require Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid should only use
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Refer to scheduled maintenance to determine the
correct service interval. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission
damage.

My advice? Glad you asked. Put the factory juice in at increased intervals, say 60,000, instead of the factory specified 150,000 miles (which coincidentally is the life of the dry clutches).
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus805 View Post
Per the Owner's Manual

Automatic transmission fluid
1.9 quarts (1.8L)1
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid2 XT-11-QDC

Automatic transmissions that require Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid should only use
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Refer to scheduled maintenance to determine the
correct service interval. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission
damage.

My advice? Glad you asked. Put the factory juice in at increased intervals, say 60,000, instead of the factory specified 150,000 miles (which coincidentally is the life of the dry clutches).
Agree periodic fluid changes seem like a good idea even if Ford says otherwise. Plus, with only 2 quarts to exchange and a drain plug on the gearbox, how expensive could it be?

The 150,000 mile life seems to be what Ford uses for everything despite lots of 150,000 mile+ Fords still running around. Maybe 150,000 is a minimum target that can be easily exceeded with good care and moderate driving?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Agree periodic fluid changes seem like a good idea even if Ford says otherwise. Plus, with only 2 quarts to exchange and a drain plug on the gearbox, how expensive could it be?

The 150,000 mile life seems to be what Ford uses for everything despite lots of 150,000 mile+ Fords still running around. Maybe 150,000 is a minimum target that can be easily exceeded with good care and moderate driving?
Does anyone have pictures of the location for fill and drain plug on this transmission?

No way I would leave that lubricant in there for 150,000 miles. Half of that, maybe.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
While it is an automated manual, the mechanism for changing gears is pretty different from a conventional manual. Instead of a strong human being using leverage to move gears around, you have an small electric servo motor doing the job. So I'd expect the DCT fluid to be formulated to allow gear shifts with the lowest possible effort...
The gear lubricant is chosen (in part) based on the "strength" of the electric motors used for shifting???

I'm sorry but that is absurd.

A small 3 phase electric motor with gear reduction can be quite powerful as such a motor is used for clutch actuation (which requires far more torque than a gear change).
Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
dan50
Focus Addict

[QUOTE=Kabigon;4629509]The gear lubricant is chosen (in part) based on the "strength" of the electric motors used for shifting???

I'm sorry but that is absurd.

A small 3 phase electric motor with gear reduction can be quite powerful as such a motor is used for clutch actuation (which requires far more torque than a gear change).[/QU

Nice style.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->