Driving from Toronto to Vancouver- 4,000+km - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97715
What I Drive: 2008 Metallic Blue Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Matt89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Driving from Toronto to Vancouver- 4,000+km

I have a 2008 2dr SES focus with only 98,000km. I might be getting a job in British Columbia and it will be so much easier if I have my own car when I get there.

I've never done such a big road trip before. Other than a CAA membership, what should I have on hand or know?

Also what should I ask to get looked at when I bring it in for maintenance before the trip?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Drive at night and sleep in parks during the day. Cops don't care about sleeping people during the day.

As long as your regular maintenance has been done properly you should be fine. Check your spare tire. After you get threw Manitoba there are plenty of towns to get help in. If you need help near a farm most farmers will offer their help readily

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
Drive at night and sleep in parks during the day. Cops don't care about sleeping people during the day.

As long as your regular maintenance has been done properly you should be fine. Check your spare tire. After you get threw Manitoba there are plenty of towns to get help in. If you need help near a farm most farmers will offer their help readily
Ok cool I'll keep that in mind. Should I be good sleeping in a Wal-Mart parking lot? Not sure if I want to drive at night lol

Do you think driving through the USA would be a good idea to save time and gas?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My friend who used to drive to Montreal from Saskatchewan went threw the states most times. There are more places to stop and gas is cheaper. The roads are better aswell. Just don't Cary anything the border guards don't like.

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
At the very least, you'll want to consider driving across US interstate 90 because I'm pretty sure Calgary west to BC in Canada is not "freeway"... but things might have changed since I drove it last. I'd check, that's a long way for 1 lane in each direction.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
As I have done this trip a couple times both through Canada and the U.S. (Edmonton to Kitchener, ON):

Don't go through the U.S! You will have to deal with the horrible roads of Michigan and the even worse ones of Chicago. I remember sections of interstate in Michigan where layers of asphalt are missing for 50ft or so. I guess the state is so broke they can't even fix the highways. Then there is the traffic of Chicago. Traffic gets backed up on the highways there at all hours of the day. I went through the first time on a Sunday afternoon, the second time on a Monday around midnight. Both times ended up in stop and go traffic. Plus you will have the hassle of boarder crossings. If you're a young guy alone sometimes they like to give you extra hassle.

By comparison the roads in Canada are much smoother (except maybe for Saskatchewan), especially through northern Ontario. There is less traffic to deal with as well. The Speed limits are slower but you can probably make it up due to lack of delays.

Every time the trip from Edmonton to Kitchener took 40 hours no matter which route I took despite the 75mph speed limits and such in parts of the U.S.

EDIT:

Quote:
At the very least, you'll want to consider driving across US interstate 90 because I'm pretty sure Calgary west to BC in Canada is not "freeway"... but things might have changed since I drove it last. I'd check, that's a long way for 1 lane in each direction.
I can't speak for that particular B.C. section but I have done some driving in the rocky mountains. Though its usually 2 lane roads, a 3rd passing lane usually appears quite regularly, especially when going uphill for passing slow trucks and such. Northern Ontario is the same way with a similar landscape (though much smaller mountains) and maintaining 100km/h there (or 90 if you stick to the limit) all day long is no trouble. And it will be ALL day long. Expect 26 hours or so (maybe less if you like to drive fast) to get to the Manitoba boarder from Toronto. You'll be gobsmacked at how big the province actually is. In my case it made up 65% of my trip to Edmonton.

Last edited by Supernaut; 03-09-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
As I have done this trip a couple times both through Canada and the U.S. (Edmonton to Kitchener, ON):

Don't go through the U.S! You will have to deal with the horrible roads of Michigan and the even worse ones of Chicago. I remember sections of interstate in Michigan where layers of asphalt are missing for 50ft or so. I guess the state is so broke they can't even fix the highways. Then there is the traffic of Chicago. Traffic gets backed up on the highways there at all hours of the day. I went through the first time on a Sunday afternoon, the second time on a Monday around midnight. Both times ended up in stop and go traffic. Plus you will have the hassle of boarder crossings. If you're a young guy alone sometimes they like to give you extra hassle.

By comparison the roads in Canada are much smoother (except maybe for Saskatchewan), especially through northern Ontario. There is less traffic to deal with as well. The Speed limits are slower but you can probably make it up due to lack of delays.

Every time the trip from Edmonton to Kitchener took 40 hours no matter which route I took despite the 75mph speed limits and such in parts of the U.S.

EDIT:

I can't speak for that particular B.C. section but I have done some driving in the rocky mountains. Though its usually 2 lane roads, a 3rd passing lane usually appears quite regularly, especially when going uphill for passing slow trucks and such. Northern Ontario is the same way with a similar landscape (though much smaller mountains) and maintaining 100km/h there (or 90 if you stick to the limit) all day long is no trouble. And it will be ALL day long. Expect 26 hours or so (maybe less if you like to drive fast) to get to the Manitoba boarder from Toronto. You'll be gobsmacked at how big the province actually is. In my case it made up 65% of my trip to Edmonton.
Oh I know how big it really is. I worked up in Sioux Lookout once, took us 24hrs to get there!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
and at some points you have to get out and take a dog sled....

how backwards do you think we are? sure it may not be a divided hwy the whole way like an interstate, but it isnt a single track back road. It is the Trans-Canada Hwy. It is our biggest east-west hwy accross the country.
Calgary to Vancouver is only 10 hours if you hustle, 12 hours if you take your time. The last time I drove that section I was towing an SVT engine on a trailer behind my Focus

that being said, looking at the map, for the most efficient trip, I would consider going thru the US. If you want to see half of your country, then take the TransCanada
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
and at some points you have to get out and take a dog sled....

how backwards do you think we are? sure it may not be a divided hwy the whole way like an interstate, but it isnt a single track back road. It is the Trans-Canada Hwy. It is our biggest east-west hwy accross the country.
Calgary to Vancouver is only 10 hours if you hustle, 12 hours if you take your time. The last time I drove that section I was towing an SVT engine on a trailer behind my Focus

that being said, looking at the map, for the most efficient trip, I would consider going thru the US. If you want to see half of your country, then take the TransCanada
I don't think you're backwards, I think you're a small population in a HUGE geographical area. Like I said, it's been a while since I drove that, but last time I did, it was NOT like an interstate at all. Ontario is interstate-like, or the parts I've driven through. I allowed things might have c hanged since last I drove that Alberta and BC section of the TransCan, but last time I did, it was not a super slab, by any stretch of the imagination. BTW, I'm originally from a favorite Calgary tourist spot in NW Montana, so it was only an hour drive to BC from my home.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast

Should I bring my car in for an automatic transmission fluid change? Recently got an oil change and since my car is nearing 100k km it is recommended as well as replacing the spark plugs. Thoughts?

Bookmarks & Social Networks