Mellow MagnaFlow - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102000
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 ahsfba Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Haha! Well, if it confused you, keeping my terminology straight would probably help everyone out. The more it breaks in, the harder it is to keep my foot off the gas! I am very happy with my purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
I had the same system installed about a month ago and I also think its quiet. I was thinking of doing this. It's hard to tell from your video. It kinda sounds normal.

1. How would you describe the difference between the way it came and replacing the resonator with pipe? Is it louder inside? Outside?
2. Did you do it yourself?
3. Is there any more drone now? (Magnaflow told me there would be)

Edit: It's also hard to tell the true sound since it looks like your in a garage in that video? Here's a vid of my exhaust. Sounds similar to yours (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7aQ...ature=youtu.be)
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
I had the same system installed about a month ago and I also think its quiet. I was thinking of doing this. It's hard to tell from your video. It kinda sounds normal.

1. How would you describe the difference between the way it came and replacing the resonator with pipe? Is it louder inside? Outside?
2. Did you do it yourself?
3. Is there any more drone now? (Magnaflow told me there would be)

Edit: It's also hard to tell the true sound since it looks like your in a garage in that video? Here's a vid of my exhaust. Sounds similar to yours (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7aQ...ature=youtu.be)
1. When it was first installed, I thought it was very quiet. I felt like I could barely hear it, even accelerating up to highway speeds. The tone now is slightly deeper, although it does give you a higher pitched blip in volume around 3k-4k rpms. Overall, it is more or less the same tone, just louder inside and outside, but not to the point of being deafening. There is also more rumble and burping in low gear with the resonator removed. Not sure how much of that I can attribute to the removal of the resonator vs breaking the exhaust in, as I only had it for a few weeks before deleting the resonator.

2. I did not do the resonator delete myself. I brought it to a local shop.

3. There is no drone when the car is in regular drive, but in sport mode I do notice a very slight drone at highway speeds. Below 50-60, there is nothing.

I hear you about the garage and it not being the true sound. Completely agree. Keep in mind that the tone itself is very similar to how it came when it was first installed, so picking up on more volume without screwing up the sound on the video is tricky. I'll try to get a better video today if I can convince my sick friend to let me swing by and get his video camera.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. The same tone, just louder. I may end up doing this.

A shop only charged you $50 for this? That's pretty cheap. I had a shop install the exhaust and all they charged me was 1 hours worth of labor, so I'm expecting this to be more, with the added cost of replacement pipe.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Fyi my exhaust guy installed my custom catback and welded it out for $100 I ran with just a rear muffler and it was too loud for me so I put a round magnaflow up front and I think it's perfect..... I might have to add more quiet when the header goes on.
Sonic Crew #012 E-123 Omega
Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

The problem is, all mufflers are different. I had a local shop quote me a system and it came to about $100-$200 less than what I ended up paying. There's no way to tell what it's going to sound like. Magnaflow makes a ton of different mufflers.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Look at jones maxflow for a magnaflow alternative. Full stainless oval muffler with straight through performance at a fraction of the price.
Sonic Crew #012 E-123 Omega
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Any luck with getting more videos?

I was able to drive today with the windows down a bit, and it did sound great, however, while cruising, it was barely noticeable like JoeyD said (I'd like to hear it all the time). Love the deep tone on accelerations though. Really curious as to how it would sound with the resonator removed.

Last edited by ripto; 04-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
ahsfba
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry guys, I've been really busy with work, so no video yet . I did dip/install my 3d Carbon wing, so I'm hoping to get a video up this weekend which showcases both the exhaust sans resonator and the wing.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

I ordered some pipe yesterday. Looks like it will run me about $75 total, less than I expected. Should have it done by next weekend.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->