Exhaust specs - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Artplata
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 108806
Location: Las Vegas, NV
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

Posts: 25
FF Reputation: 1 Artplata Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust specs

I have been doing research and wanted to get forum's opinion regarding cat-back exhausts. From what I have gathered all exhausts manufacturers have increased the stock size pipe to 2.25 inch diameter pipe adding their muffler and an exhaust tip to top it off. I was wondering if you have these local Mexican muffler shops just install a 2.25 diameter pipe just from cat to muffler, would that make a difference. Why would these companies charge so much for their product if these local shops can meet their specs at a fraction of the cost.

Your opinion is highly regarded, thanks in advance.






Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile


Artplata is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,265
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The higher quality aftermarket kits use mandrel bent stainless steel tubing vs crush bent steel/ iron/ non stainless steel/ aluminized steel tubing that your local exhaust shop would usually use which constricts the flow at every bend and would be worse than stock.

If you can find a shop that has a mandrel bender and can use good quality stainless pipes it might be ok, but most just use the cheap tube benders that crush or crimp the pipe in the process.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast
 
Jim_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109775
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

Posts: 113
FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In Vegas aluminized steel will likely last the life of the car, so paying for stainless might be pointless.

Enough 2.25" stainless to do the exhaust would cost close to $200, or more retail, plus $150 for the muffler. 2.5" Aluminized steel would be $50 plus $100 for the muffler. Add labor and you can probably still beat that $650 plus labor magnaflow cat-back price, get dual out if you want, and support your local working stiffs.

Mandrel bends are better, but 2.5" crush bends would suffice I would think, especially with the cat in front of it.

That being said shops with mandrels are not that hard to find, there is at least one here in SD, probably one in vegas as well.

Last edited by Jim_J; 03-07-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Jim_J is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Sean05
Focus Addict
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Fan#: 62491
Location: Murrieta, CA
What I Drive: 13' ST2

Posts: 591
FF Reputation: 5 Sean05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
my se sport had 2.25 piping in most of the exhaust....
__________________
After asking a friend with 07 sedan if he wanted to race " I'm gonna loose! Mines not a zx4!! "
Sean05 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04
 
darkangelism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85425
Location: oklahoma city, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 7,262
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
fswerks is 2.5"
darkangelism is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,413
FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artplata View Post
I have been doing research and wanted to get forum's opinion regarding cat-back exhausts. From what I have gathered all exhausts manufacturers have increased the stock size pipe to 2.25 inch diameter pipe adding their muffler and an exhaust tip to top it off. I was wondering if you have these local Mexican muffler shops just install a 2.25 diameter pipe just from cat to muffler, would that make a difference. Why would these companies charge so much for their product if these local shops can meet their specs at a fraction of the cost.

Your opinion is highly regarded, thanks in advance.
If all your looking for is a different tone of noise= Why not just add a different muffler?





Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The higher quality aftermarket kits use mandrel bent stainless steel tubing vs crush bent steel/ iron/ non stainless steel/ aluminized steel tubing that your local exhaust shop would usually use which constricts the flow at every bend and would be worse than stock.

If you can find a shop that has a mandrel bender and can use good quality stainless pipes it might be ok, but most just use the cheap tube benders that crush or crimp the pipe in the process.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
my se sport had 2.25 piping in most of the exhaust....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is what you have^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
fswerks is 2.5"
If you want to get a desent quality system, here you go. ^^^^^^^^^^^
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic
 
RonMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99230
Location: Littleton, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Posts: 4,066
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Crush bent or mandrel bent has negligible horsepower diff on a naturally aspirated car. As long as you keep the bends to a mild degree you'll get pretty much the same results for cheaper unless you are squeezing every bit of HP you can get then spend some money.
__________________
'12 Focus Red Candy SE Sport 5 spd
'99 Toyota 4Runner Sport
'11 Subaru WRX STI Hatch
RonMaiden is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Artplata
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 108806
Location: Las Vegas, NV
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

Posts: 25
FF Reputation: 1 Artplata Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Crush bent or mandrel bent has negligible horsepower diff on a naturally aspirated car. As long as you keep the bends to a mild degree you'll get pretty much the same results for cheaper unless you are squeezing every bit of HP you can get then spend some money.
The shop near my home will do a 2.5 inch pipe from cat to muffler for $120. I intend to keep muffler for now. Is it worth the spend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile
Artplata is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast
 
Jim_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109775
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

Posts: 113
FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artplata View Post
Is it worth the spend?

That's a question only you can answer. The real restriction on this exhaust is the cats, and everything I have read leads me to believe the engine responds better to intake mods than exhaust. I would save up and replace the muffler as well all in one shot.
Jim_J is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,413
FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artplata View Post
The shop near my home will do a 2.5 inch pipe from cat to muffler for $120. I intend to keep muffler for now. Is it worth the spend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Cyan FF Mobile
I'd pass & put the $ some where else. Intake or suspension.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.