Engine running very rough - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110560
What I Drive: 2001 maroon focus

FF Reputation: 1 danny42984 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
Tee in either before or after the filter.....hopefully, there is a shrader valve on the fuel rail (opposite) the fuel pressure sensor. Also, turn the key on, engine off...reset cel....then start engine...let idle til warm. You can enter live data mode on the scanner to watch warm up data. And if possible, do not touch the throttle.....let it idle on it own and if needed apply a little throttle to help warm the engine up. Now when the system goes into closed loop...start recording or when water temp hits say 180-190 or above. If it will stay running.......run the engine say 12 - 15 mins. I interested in whether or not the system switches from open to closed loop......
Unfortunately the scanner I have does not have a live data stream display. The fuel rail doesn't have a schrader valve either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #32
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 152 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
No Zetec Focus has a schrader valve , There is nothing to suggest that your recorded fuel psi is off , I would look into the filter , sock and or fuel pump

Open loop or closed loop has nothing to do with your lack of fuel psi this needs to be addressed first , get the fuel psi up to the 34 to 43psi it should (you should NEVER see 65psi ) be then see what other issues you have , the ECU cannot not raise the injector duty cycle enough at idle or low load part throttle to make up for the 19psi so that alone could show a lean condition on the STFT and cause you to stay in open loop

If your only seeing 19psi fuel at idle, I would address that first

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #33
FocusRus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Tom, good to see you...what took you so long? Lol.
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok, got the pressure tester and with the ignition switch on the reading is around 45psi. With the engine running it goes up around 85psi. When it gets up to around the 80psi mark thats when it starts its "squealing" sound from the fuel pump. Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
No Zetec Focus has a schrader valve , There is nothing to suggest that your recorded fuel psi is off , I would look into the filter , sock and or fuel pump

Open loop or closed loop has nothing to do with your lack of fuel psi this needs to be addressed first , get the fuel psi up to the 34 to 43psi it should (you should NEVER see 65psi ) be then see what other issues you have , the ECU cannot not raise the injector duty cycle enough at idle or low load part throttle to make up for the 19psi so that alone could show a lean condition on the STFT and cause you to stay in open loop

If your only seeing 19psi fuel at idle, I would address that first

Tom
The Focus I'm working on has the SPI engine instead of the Zetec.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #36
FocusRus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
It should never be that high! I'll let Tom take this one, though the fuel pressure is not being regulated.....fuel pressure regulator, but is it?.
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
It should never be that high! I'll let Tom take this one, though the fuel pressure is not being regulated.....fuel pressure regulator, but is it?.
I would think it would be a regulator for sure on an older non computer controlled car but this..I just dont have the experience on newer cars. Oreilly's auto parts website dont even list a fuel pressure regulator for it. I was thinking maybe it doesnt have one and is regulated by the sensor on the fuel rail?? I lost. Any advise from anyone with more knowlege would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 152 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
You are correct , altho my knowledge of the SPI engine is very limited , the fuel rail psi sensor is what what tells the ecu what the fuel rail psi is , if its bad this may also be why your reader was showing low but I have never seen that

You might (Focus Zetec and SVT does) have a fuel pump driver module under the rear pass seat that sends the voltage to the fuel pump , I would also check this

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
You are correct , altho my knowledge of the SPI engine is very limited , the fuel rail psi sensor is what what tells the ecu what the fuel rail psi is , if its bad this may also be why your reader was showing low but I have never seen that

You might (Focus Zetec and SVT does) have a fuel pump driver module under the rear pass seat that sends the voltage to the fuel pump , I would also check this

Tom
Thanks for the reply! What would be the best way to check the fuel pump driver module?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Voltage output , to have that high of fuel psi the voltage should be 12+ volts , check the ground as it is the controlling voltage wire

Keep in mind the fuel rail psi sensor could be bad telling the pump to add more psi , one tells the other what to do

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks