Engine running very rough - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110560
What I Drive: 2001 maroon focus

FF Reputation: 1 danny42984 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
I can recommend this

It's $50 and works with a laptop (or desktop if you're really desperate) and the OBDWiz software that comes with it is simple and fairly useful, the site has other software packages available and I bought the Ford enhanced one for $80 but it's probably not worth it, there are a lot of datastreams it should be able to look at that don't work for some reason.

Anyway, OBDWiz would allow you to look at real time o2 sensor operation as well as fuel trim information. Well worth $50 IMO, and although you'd need a laptop to use it, having the laptop screen makes it much more useful than the type of low-end scan tool sold at parts stores.

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx.html
thanks for the recommendation. I took a look at the link and am leaning towards this one or the actron 9580 so far . I'm going to see if I can get the one you recommended locally. I may have to rent one for now just to get the Focus back on the road though. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

\QUOTE=FocusRus;4622746]Dan, what is the condition of the up stream 02 sensor? This could very well be the issue if the ecm is seeing a 0v signal from the sensor, so in return the ecm thinks the engine is running lean. Do you have access to a scanner? I'd bet that your ecm is in open loop status. Lets start here and see if the 02 sensor is the problem.[/QUOTE]

Ok I picked up a scanner, just not the one I actually wanted. Anyways the cel finally did come on the other day when I moved the car out of the garage. The code it pulled is P0190 (fuel rail pressure sensor) and P0102 (mass or volume air flow circuit low input) I did find the hose going from valve cover to the plastic tube that leads to air box to be cracked a little and replaced that but still ran same. tapping on fuel rail near sensor seems to clear it up for a few min sometimes but may just be coincidence. I didn't see anything related to 02 sensor in the freeze frame data but I'm new to scanners and may not know what for or where to look. Does this tell you guys anything? I know that it could really be the frp sensor but I also know that there may be something else going on causing these codes. just want opinions from peeps that have been there and done that. I took the fuel rail pressure sensor off and sprayed it with electrical cleaner and sprayed the side that goes into the fuel rail with carb cleaner. It doesn't seem to be quite as rich lately and some times runs fairly smooth for several seconds here and there and even cleared up for 2 or 3 minutes once so I drove down the road and when I got back it started acting up again.

I have the scan info from the software that came with scanner that I could e-mail if it would help. It is in ms word format.

Last edited by danny42984; 03-11-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Going to change the fuel filter this afternoon just for kicks..
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny42984 View Post
Going to change the fuel filter this afternoon just for kicks..
No change after replacing fuel filter..as expected.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

Points 356, Level 7
Points: 356, Level: 7 Points: 356, Level: 7 Points: 356, Level: 7
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
- Faulty mass air flow sensor
- Intake air leaks
- Dirty mass air flow sensor
- Dirty mass air filter
- Mass air flow sensor harness is open or shorted
- Mass air flow sensor circuit poor electrical connection
P0102..........I would check the condition of the air filter, and possibly clean the MAF, using mass air flow sensor cleaner. Make sure to look at the MAF harness connector pin outs...making sure their not bent....or missing, use some dielectric grease and re-connect. Check the intake air tube for cracks and that it makes a tight seal at the throttle body. Run the engine and while at idle, wiggle the harness connector at the MAF, and the fuel rail pressure sensor.....note ANY change in how the engine idles. Leave us know.......
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
- Intake air leaks
- Dirty mass air filter
P0102..........I would check the condition of the air filter, and possibly clean the MAF, using mass air flow sensor cleaner. Make sure to look at the MAF harness connector pin outs...making sure their not bent....or missing, use some dielectric grease and re-connect. Check the intake air tube for cracks and that it makes a tight seal at the throttle body. Run the engine and while at idle, wiggle the harness connector at the MAF, and the fuel rail pressure sensor.....note ANY change in how the engine idles. Leave us know.......
Thanks for the reply. Plan on checking the things you pointed out. Seems like you don't think it is the pressure sensor on the fuel rail and I doubt it myself as well. Do you or anyone else happen to know which gasket is used to connect the plenum divider(think that's what its called) to the head on a 2001 SPI? My gasket kit came with two for that side..a metal one one and a plastic one with rubber seals on it. Both seem to line up with all the holes etc. Possibly both are used? I did not take it apart or I would have known. I actually used both my reasoning being that maybe the steel gasket acts as a heat shield..so I placed it on the head side and the other gasket to the intake plenum. I could find no info on the internet or in any manual as to the placement of the gaskets.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
- Intake air leaks
- Dirty mass air filter
checked air filter, cleaned MAF, checked MAF connector, changed intake gaskets, let it idle and still seems to run same...very rich and has a real bad hesitation when you open the throttle. Has a kind of "surging" when you hold it above idle. As far as wiggling the connectors there might be a little change sometimes when tapping on the fuel rail sensor..cant say for sure, it could be coincidence cause the engine is erratic anyway. may pull it outside later so I can let it run longer to test. I hate to spend $120 on a sensor it might not need but im running out of options.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Points 356, Level 7
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Damn......there has to be a massive air leak......faulty egr thats stuck open.... I mean, I don't see the egr being the problem because you would have noticed any carbon (and cleaned it up) and all of that was disassembled at head replacement. Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure test, but still I believe it to be a a air volume issue......bad maf....
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
danny42984
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Damn......there has to be a massive air leak......faulty egr thats stuck open.... I mean, I don't see the egr being the problem because you would have noticed any carbon (and cleaned it up) and all of that was disassembled at head replacement. Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure test, but still I believe it to be a a air volume issue......bad maf....
Due to the variable voltage fuel pump is is possible to get a misleading reading with a fuel pressure tester? or is there a process of checking the fuel pump that overrides the voltage variance? The car did run flawlessly for the first 40 miles after the head replacement. The car sat approx 8 months prior to the head being replaced.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Points 356, Level 7
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny42984 View Post
Due to the variable voltage fuel pump is is possible to get a misleading reading with a fuel pressure tester? or is there a process of checking the fuel pump that overrides the voltage variance? The car did run flawlessly for the first 40 miles after the head replacement. The car sat approx 8 months prior to the head being replaced.
Fuel pressure should be 35 to 65 psi-key on, engine off........
The fuel pressure test is just what it is....variable voltage pump or not.
Now, one component we haven't looked at...which on a spi engine is directly related to the calculation of A/F is the coolant temp sensor...this engine uses a NTC thermistor cts to inform the pcm of the temp of the metal in the cyl head. That, coupled the with intake air temp sensor (part of the maf), and the throttle position sensor--work in conjunction to help the pcm determine the proper a/f mixture. What type of scan tool do you have again???

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.