Help removing 15mm bolts on psgr motor mounts - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
HocusFocus_2000
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110898
What I Drive: 2000 silver Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 HocusFocus_2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help removing 15mm bolts on psgr motor mounts

Hi, I'm trying to to replace the passenger motor mount on my 2000 Focus with the Zetec. I have thus far put a jack under the motor, removed the coolant tank, removed the two 18mm bolts attaching the mount to the motor, and removed one 15mm bolt attaching the bracket to the body. What remains are the last two 15 mm bolts attaching the bracket to the body, which sit a few inches deeper than the one I removed. Using a deep and not-so deep 15mm socket and a breaker bar, I have not been able to get a solid purchase on the bolts. Any time I try to get enough leverage with the breaker bar, the socket rises or slips a little from the bolt and I only succeed in rounding the heads. I had to walk away from the job yesterday when I found myself raising the breaker bar over my head to bash the engine (I stopped myself and had a beer instead.)

I am determined this mount will not best me, but I've hit a wall with these GD bolts and am on the verge of stripping them, if I haven't already. Do I need a larger breaker bar? I have a lead pipe I tried to use as a cheater, but that didn't help, as the issue seems to be that the socket does not get a good grip on the bolts unless the bar is positioned directly vertical to them. What should I do moving forward, oh wise ones? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
zpellicone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105007
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zpellicone Good Standing Member
PB blaster and/or heat. If they are rounded you might want to get some trusty rounded bolt sockets and replace them as well. Some one must have torqued the crap out of those bolts because they were fairly easy to do when I replaced mine. I would take off the power steering reservoir to make the rear bolt easier to get to. If those bolts are a pain, I can't imagine how difficult the bolt connecting the bracket and the mount is going to be...ALL HAIL VICE GRIPS!!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
even with PB-blaster, mine were a b*tch to remove; the entire vehicle let out a loud groan with each one.

Don't go too gonzo with the breaker bar - another forum member ran into this problem:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310651
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
HocusFocus_2000
Focus Rookie

Thanks, zp! I have a c-clamp ready for the bracket and mount. I should disclose I have never done any repairs more involved than replacing an air filter and fuse. I know what PB blaster is, but how would I apply heat?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
HocusFocus_2000
Focus Rookie

ok that is terrifying, beautious, but thanks for the heads up. I will definitely tread lightly. I fear I am already close to dealing with bolts "rounded off by incompetents using the wrong tools." I would be the in competent.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
Are you using 6 point sockets? At this point that is the only type of socket I would use.

Also use PB Blaster from underneath also.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
zpellicone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105007
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zpellicone Good Standing Member
Heat gun, you didnt jack the engine up alot right? If so, that would put more upwards force on those bracket bolts whereas they are meant to hold downward force from the engine when it is sitting. Now the bolts would be supporting the entire wieght of the body. That could possibly be it. Did you try using a smaller 6" socket wrench?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
if you think that you've passed the point of no return, then there's no shame in driving the car to your local mechanic and giving him twenty bucks to unloosen the bolts - esp. if it eliminates a more expensive repair a couple of days from now.

Either way, you probably realize that you're gonna need new bolts at this point; might wanna shop a hardware store or auto parts store for hardened replacements.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
HocusFocus_2000
Focus Rookie

I probably did jack the engine up too much, now that you mention it. I'll give it another shot this weekend with PB, heat, and a repositioned jack and report back. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
fordguy2000
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110835
What I Drive: 2000 Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 fordguy2000 Good Standing Member
HocusFocus, Just did mine today, good advice above. I used a 1/2 drive, six point deep well socket and a 12inch extension. It gives you enough space above the motor to get a good crank on the bolts. When I started I put barley any pressure on the motor with the jack then after everything is loose you can put a little more pressure to raise the motor into place. Good luck with your endeavor this weekend.

Bookmarks & Social Networks