Surging power delivery - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Surging power delivery

I have a 2013 Ford Focus se hatchback 5 speed with about 1600 miles on it. Since I drove it off the lot there have been 2 incidences where the powers delivery seems to surge down. Not quite a misfire but almost a hiccup in delivery I guess you could say. Yesterday in 2nd gear as I was increasing rpms it surged 3 times over a period of about 3-5 seconds. Should I have the PCM reflashed or is this a tuning issue? I've seen some dyno charts on this motor and some seem very choppy through the rpm range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've had this happen multiple times. No rhyme or reason. It happens more to me when I'm at a cruising speed, but have had it happen while accelerating. I don't know what they'd even look at without a check engine light coming on.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I've had this happen multiple times. No rhyme or reason. It happens more to me when I'm at a cruising speed, but have had it happen while accelerating. I don't know what they'd even look at without a check engine light coming on.
That's what I was afraid to hear. It happened again today. Both times have been after leaving work. The car had obviously sat for a long period of time but within the first 5 minutes, under a load, while accelerating, the car will buck a few times before smoothing out. Then, no further problems for the rest of the trip home. It's a very quick issue but still shouldn't happen on a brand new car. Maybe the PCM learning the Maf/fuel tables on the new engine? Doubtful but just trying to come up with ideas.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
BaseBlack2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92645
What I Drive: 2012 focus base black

FF Reputation: 1 BaseBlack2012 Good Standing Member
My car has almost 40k on it and starting doing this around 12k. I have complained over and over again and the ford service manager told me just to deal with it, its a problem with these cars that ford knows about but wont fix.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
SPRAYPAINT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89747
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 SPRAYPAINT Good Standing Member
I have 28K miles and the only engine tune issue I have is at idle the engine stumbles and then smooths out... It started this only after I installed the header.

January 2012 Ride Of The Month
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseBlack2012 View Post
My car has almost 40k on it and starting doing this around 12k. I have complained over and over again and the ford service manager told me just to deal with it, its a problem with these cars that ford knows about but wont fix.
We'll, I'll be going in for my "scheduled 5000" service and bringing it up. Good thing I held off on completing their dealership survey. Wonder if I should let them know that so it can be treated more seriously. It's happened several times in the 2,000 miles since it was driven off the lot. Idle at start up seems a little rough at times as well. Gonna try the ms3 rear mount to see if that helps at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
BaseBlack2012
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
We'll, I'll be going in for my "scheduled 5000" service and bringing it up. Good thing I held off on completing their dealership survey. Wonder if I should let them know that so it can be treated more seriously. It's happened several times in the 2,000 miles since it was driven off the lot. Idle at start up seems a little rough at times as well. Gonna try the ms3 rear mount to see if that helps at all.
I have over and over again at different dealerships, they tell me they cant find nothing wrong. I have taken two service managers for a ride with me and shown them the problem and they tell me that these cars do that and ford does not acknowledge its a problem. I'm just tired of messing with it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Have you tried driving with traction control off, I always turn traction control off ad have not noticed this.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
BaseBlack2012
Focus Rookie

LOL. My traction control has been "disabled" since it snowed on christmas and I couldn't get up a hill (tires are about done). It doesn't make a difference. I have tried premium fuel. It just doesn't give. I honestly think its that dual mass flywheel and those springs giving during speeding up. Its real bad when its cold. I just warm it up in the morning and deal with it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Greg Morgan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109375
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus black metalic

FF Reputation: 1 Greg Morgan Good Standing Member
well I guess it is not just me,,,my 2012 SE just done that to me on the 19 feb on the hiway, first time with 5000 miles on it ,,,sounds like I will be talking to ford about this also

Bookmarks & Social Networks