2003 2.0 Zetec, power steering help? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
gf2003zx3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62846
What I Drive: 2006 Saab 9-2x, '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gf2003zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 2.0 Zetec, power steering help?

Hi, back again. Just had the Focus in for a power steering pump replacement (93k, kind of miffed) and they did the belt and idlers, too. But...I looked at where the GF parked her car today, and there was a small patch of fluid. Looks like it's been dripping there for a little while now - its parked in the garage and no drips since 1pm (it's now 7pm).

Got it up on the ramps, and it looks like there's a seep from the line - heading into the cooler (which is sandwiched between the rads, am I correct?) or out from it. It's on the opposite side of the engine than the pump, and looks like it's going out from near the (auto) transmission.

Would this only leak if the car is running, or is the system "charged"?

Am I in the right ballpark? Looks like I can just pull the CT clamp and replace with a worm-screw hose clamp. Or should I be digging deeper to see if its leaking at the rack, or are there "pinhole" leaks on the line, and I need to replace that, too?

Last - is this a common issue?

'03 ZX3 2.0 ZETEC
'06 Saab 9-2x 2.5i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2003zx3 View Post
Would this only leak if the car is running, or is the system "charged"?
The system is "charged" in the same way that the hydraulic brake system is "charged"; It should be full and "air free" (bled of any air pockets)

Quote:
Am I in the right ballpark? Looks like I can just pull the CT clamp and replace with a worm-screw hose clamp. Or should I be digging deeper to see if its leaking at the rack, or are there "pinhole" leaks on the line, and I need to replace that, too?
Not sure what you mean by CT clamp but just be aware the ps system has a very high working pressure in the line coming of the pump and also a relatively low pressure return line. When working with the high pressure line, any type of screw clamp won't be sufficient to hold the pressure.

Quote:
Last - is this a common issue?
Common leak areas for the ps system are the union joint just under the pump and the pressure sensor/sender in the pump body. I don't think leaks at the rack are that common.

Might want to ask the mechanic/garage to recheck their work if it didn't leak previously. (You didn't say why the pump was replaced in the first place. Noisy?)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
The cooler between the radiator and the ac condenser is the transmission fluid cooler the power steering cooler is in front of the ac condenser near the bottom
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
gf2003zx3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62846
What I Drive: 2006 Saab 9-2x, '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gf2003zx3 Good Standing Member
CT clamp = constant tension clamp.

PS pump was replaced because it was leaking all over the place from somewhere. None of the connections on the pump itself are leaking, it's only the line that appears to be going to the cooler from the rack. Hard to tell - I had it up on the ramps and all, but without a lift and tearing everything out of her daily driver, I can't quite find which line it is. It's not coming directly off the pump, so it's probably not at high pressure.

How do you people manage to work on these things without a lift and engine hoist? Jeez, it's impossible to find anything. I can ratchet on my Saabaru all day long without even having to get underneath it, but getting in the Focus compartment is maddening.

Oh, and the mystery leak now? Some kind of fluid all over the transmission case. Not red like ATF, but transparent and slightly yellow. Looks like really light engine oil, greasy to the touch, thick, but doesn't stay slick. Drips onto the garage floor form the case, and more of that crap is all over the O2 electrical connection. Is this the (mechanic said "minor seep") PS leak from the rack? If so...I'm looking at a fire risk, yeah?

'03 ZX3 2.0 ZETEC
'06 Saab 9-2x 2.5i

Bookmarks & Social Networks