Progressive vs Linear coilover springs - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46204
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Progressive vs Linear coilover springs

Currently I have 400lbs springs in front on Focus Central coilovers and 220lbs on the strut in the back, with Koni Yellows front and rear.

I'm trying to find a way to take the 'edge' off the bumps on the road. On the highway, the car handles awesome. But I'm getting tired of the rough ride in the city.

I plan on getting the struts/dampers rebuilt next year to handle the stiffer springs although I'm wondering if getting progressive springs will with the initial harshness on the road.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Air ride plan and simple
Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I also have FC coilovers.....

I'm still on stock shocks/struts though....I would say my around-town ride is a LITTLE harsh....but without trying stiffer dampers I can't comment on if the issue is simply with the dampers....I've done some mathematics and research and had planned on running universal off-the-shelf Bilstein mono-tube shocks in the rear when I replace the stock ones.....I called Bilstein and spoke with a tech representative and gave him all my calculations for suspension frequency and motion ratio and he recommended a 50/30 shock to control the spring. I'm running 300lb rear and don't consider my ride quality all that rough on the street....you have much softer springs which may be why you get that harsh jump on city bumps. I had the original springs that came with the kit that I think were around 185lb or something and they were VERY bouncy and soft....so much so that having a passenger in the rear seat caused rubbing on regular turns in traffic.

that's my $.02

might try a stiffer spring and something with a different compression/rebound valving to control the spring better. I think a progressive spring is going to ruin all of the benefits of the FC kit.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
Air ride plan and simple
are you 16yrs old or something? I'm continuously baffled by the rediculousness of the "advice" you spew out on these forums....
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
I also have FC coilovers.....

I'm still on stock shocks/struts though....I would say my around-town ride is a LITTLE harsh....but without trying stiffer dampers I can't comment on if the issue is simply with the dampers....I've done some mathematics and research and had planned on running universal off-the-shelf Bilstein mono-tube shocks in the rear when I replace the stock ones.....I called Bilstein and spoke with a tech representative and gave him all my calculations for suspension frequency and motion ratio and he recommended a 50/30 shock to control the spring. I'm running 300lb rear and don't consider my ride quality all that rough on the street....you have much softer springs which may be why you get that harsh jump on city bumps. I had the original springs that came with the kit that I think were around 185lb or something and they were VERY bouncy and soft....so much so that having a passenger in the rear seat caused rubbing on regular turns in traffic.

that's my $.02

might try a stiffer spring and something with a different compression/rebound valving to control the spring better. I think a progressive spring is going to ruin all of the benefits of the FC kit.
I'd think the progressive w/ do the same. ^^^^^^ As you know you need a different rate front & rear so your not propusing, like the honda boy's.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Thanks for the responses.... a few things:

Air ride??? Pffft... no way.

I'm not quite sure I get the whole idea about getting a stiffer spring. That would mean there would have to have extra force to compress the spring. Therefore I wouldn't be absorbing the bumps on the road as well.

But in the end, I really don't believe my Koni's are suited for my spring rates (even though unofficially they're supposed to handle up to 450lbs). When I get them rebuilt, they'll have to beef up the rebound damping valving in order to control the decompressing or bounciness, and maybe reduce the compression damping, in order to let the springs do their job. I think off the shelf, Koni Yellows have middle of the road compression and rebound valving and are meant for moderate spring rates.

And what Bilsteins are you talking about?

Man, I don't even remember what conventional suspension feels like.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

they wouldn't be DIRECT bolt-in, as I haven't ordered them for mine yet....but these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...10zn/overview/

MIGHT work with just removeing the top eyelet and putting the stud through the stock tower and putting a nut on....if not might just have to fab up an adaptor to put into the tower with a "C" hanging down to through-bolt the eyelet into.

This particular shock is 2" dia just like the koni so your FC kit should fit it, and it has the 50/30 valving reccomended by the bilstein tech rep I spent about 45mins on the phone with. This is the shock I plan to run with mine.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Hmmm... You also have to make sure the coilover sleeve top caps fit at the top where the eyelet is. If you can't take the top eyelet off, then your idea should work like this:

As for my issue... I'll crank up the rebound damping since that's the only adjustment I have. Once I'm ready to have my Koni's rebuilt, I might only get the fronts done and get those Bilsteins for the rear. We'll see. What do you plan on running in front?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRobin View Post
Hmmm... You also have to make sure the coilover sleeve top caps fit at the top where the eyelet is. If you can't take the top eyelet off, then your idea should work like this:

As for my issue... I'll crank up the rebound damping since that's the only adjustment I have. Once I'm ready to have my Koni's rebuilt, I might only get the fronts done and get those Bilsteins for the rear. We'll see. What do you plan on running in front?
I've currently got Ground control front springs/perches on the stock SVT struts....I'm in the middle of striking a deal on some used DGR coilovers though just to use the fronts.....if not, I might build a strut from a universal Bilstein unit and have it custom valved, and continue running the GC setup on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks