Cell phone mounts.. let's see what you got?! - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #91
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A small update on my setup. had someone get in the car last night and accidentally bend the snot out of the aluminum rod. The mount needed to be taken apart, and "reset" into the right position, and it now vibrates ever so slightly at idle and at freeway speed. Not a huge ordeal, but not ideal either.

I think it might be due to the "sweeping" bends that I have in the current configuration. the instructions specify "sharp" bends when needed, and I might try and disassemble the unit and change the bend strategy to sharp bends and see if that helps.

Just wanted to keep anyone else interested in this setup apprised of the situation as it gets used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #92
TheHumbleGeek
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105071
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 TheHumbleGeek Good Standing Member
2kwik4u, check the set screws at the bottom and make sure they are tight. Mine do tend to back out every now and then.
2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE | Sedan Revolution #283
1984 Copper Metallic Ford Mustang LX
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #93
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumbleGeek View Post
2kwik4u, check the set screws at the bottom and make sure they are tight. Mine do tend to back out every now and then.
I think (after tearing it apart again) that the bottom clamp deforms the aluminum rod a bit, and the "teeth marks" in the Aluminum rod then deform further if you bend the rod while in place. I took a hammer to the aluminum rod and made it into a more round shape rather than the oval shape it had taken on. Tightened right back up, no problem. Still has a slight vibration to it, but nothing major like before.

I think the end solution is going to be sharp bends, and actually cutting the aluminum rod down to fit the car better instead of putting a "shortening bend" in it. I'll take pictures if I ever do it, and it should make some more sense then.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #94
sketch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118015
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Ti Hatch 5M

FF Reputation: 1 sketch Good Standing Member
Called the Aduro U-Grip Plus, easily the best mount I've ever used; and I've been through a lot of mounts.

$19.99 on Newegg. You'll never buy another mount again. Durable in its simplicity, easy to install... whatever magic that suction cup uses keeps it on a sloped surface of the mildly textured dash, no problem at all. I can take my phone in and out with one hand. And it's right there in my line of sight.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #95
JordanW2157
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114373
What I Drive: 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 1 JordanW2157 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
Sorry for the crappy image quality, this is an iOttie suction cup mount on the dash. It places the phone a little too far for easy reach to select playlists or do a google maps search, but it's better than nothing.

I logged in JUST to say... DO NOT use that mount on the leather dash. I used the same exact mount for my phone and after about 2 months I removed it and it left me a nice indent where the mount was. Can't get rid of the indent either. Dash looks awful now. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my Focus and keeping her looking nice, and having that mount ruin my dash was infuriating... Just a heads up!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #96
mikesusz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i finally got mine set up. took some experimentation.

i did get the Pro Clip left-of-stack mount that i talked about earlier. you'll see that in the pics. i didn't want to use a Pro Clip holder or swivel because i didn't want it to stick out that far.

then i found the thinnest and narrowest phone holder i could find - this one from Arkon:

i didn't care about the visor clip, i just found the cheapest arkon holder i could find because i'd be hacking on the thing anyway. it holds the phone in those 4 adjustable pegs and there's a spring-loaded mechanism that slides down and holds the phone.

here it is with the old mounting stuff on the back cut off:

i also drilled some holes for zip-ties, i'll explain that in a bit.

kinda ugly, but nobody is ever going to see the back of it, because it will sit flush on the Pro Clip mount:

and i attached it with those zip ties. you can see them sticking out on the left here before i trimmed them:

from the side, you can see how thin it is with the zip ties tightened. the bottom two are spaced so that one goes above and one goes below the little standoff that holds the Pro Clip Mount plate to the dash clip. that keeps the whole thing from sliding up or down:

overall, it's in a good place:

i have Navigation in the big screen so i use my phone for Waze or Trapster, or just to have it in a more convenient location where it won't slip down next to the seat or fall on the floor (or occupy a cupholder).

potential gotchas -

if you don't like the angle, you can't change it. maybe test-fit and you could leave some of that mounting material on the back so that the holder rests on an angle to the Pro Clip mount. or shove something back there when you ziptie it?

the top zip-tie interferes with the spring-loaded sliding mechanism at a certain point. to put my iPhone 4 in, it never stretches open to that point. when i get my 5s i will test it again, i may have to use a thinner zip-tie.

if you have the heat blowing out the dash, you should probably close that air vent, or aim it up really high.

finally - polarized sunglasses. they can make it tough to see the iPhone screen. not a lot of ways to mitigate that heh.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #97
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I think (after tearing it apart again) that the bottom clamp deforms the aluminum rod a bit, and the "teeth marks" in the Aluminum rod then deform further if you bend the rod while in place. I took a hammer to the aluminum rod and made it into a more round shape rather than the oval shape it had taken on. Tightened right back up, no problem. Still has a slight vibration to it, but nothing major like before.

I think the end solution is going to be sharp bends, and actually cutting the aluminum rod down to fit the car better instead of putting a "shortening bend" in it. I'll take pictures if I ever do it, and it should make some more sense then.

Are you still using this solution? Any updates? Thanks.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #98
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
This is mine:

---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #99
bama_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117648
What I Drive: 2012 focus sedan sel

FF Reputation: 2 bama_focus Good Standing Member
As of now im still trying to convince myself I have a use for this as the majority of the time I leave my phone in my pocket and let mft do the work
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #100
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Kuda mounts are the way to go they look OEM

Bookmarks & Social Networks