PZEV ZX3 Suspension Upgrade - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
jakedillon84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7150
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZX3 P.Z.E.V. 2.3L & 2003 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750

FF Reputation: 1 jakedillon84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
PZEV ZX3 Suspension Upgrade

Gentlemen.......BEHOLD! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The '04 PZEV has only reached its 8,500 mile mark and already I'm yanking apart Ford's work and pirating new parts for it. Tommorow, I'm going to order a Marcy Motorsports CAI, and I've asked for a Steeda Tri/Ax shifter for Christmas (am I not easy to buy for?). Now I'm planning for my largest upgrade: a new suspension. I'm in love with the handling of the Focus over my sluggish rear-wheel drive Mustang, but there's just a bit too much "roll and bog" during spirited riding on an equally-spirited road. I'm hoping to take my car to Deal's Gap and the mountains of North Carolina in the spring of next year, and a new suspension is not a bad idea for that environment (IMHO).

My current thoughts are towards Steeda, due to my experience with their Mustang product line. Although they offer several kits, I was drawn to the "Focus SVT-spec suspension kit", retailing for $275 (includes springs, dampers, struts, and a swaybar; lowers vehicle ~0.5"). It fit my budget better than anything else they had, but I want to know if this is what I should be getting for a daily-driven Focus that's used on everything from hairpin switchbacks to I-40. For serious duty, I suppose I could add their sway-bar set in addition to the suspension. The short drop length is OK, as I have no desire to slam the thing on the ground at regular intervals. I'm trying to maintain some of the resale value here.

Has anybody tried this suspension set, or have any thoughts on the matter?

BTW, does anybody know if the addition of an aftermarket intake (MM CAI) or suspension void the factory warranty?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Garick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6143
What I Drive: 03 2.3l Twilight Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Garick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
it is the same exact suspension that was on the svt focus so anything that people say about it applies to the kit. Also all of the magazine reviews on the svt. It is regarded as having excellent f/r balance and being a great compromise between sport driving and comfort. It is the mildest of suspension kits but does offer great bang for the buck. Tons of people have done this swap. It just depends on how far you want to go with the suspension.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
SVT swap? sure. very popular and probably one of the better-handling setups out there w/o spending some serious $$$. not much of a drop, but if that's what tickles your fancy then go for it.

Mike
Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #4
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
eibach pro springs are nice for a daily driver because of the progressive spring rate.

if you want to spend more than the svt kit for better handling go with the eibach pro kit.

also could look into the kw kit or fk. www.newedgeperformance.com has great suspension packages
Old 11-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
jakedillon84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7150
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZX3 P.Z.E.V. 2.3L & 2003 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750

FF Reputation: 1 jakedillon84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cool...

Wow, that was a quick response! All thanks to those involved.

I hear lots of positive feedback on the Eibach kit, but I think I'm going to buy the SVT-spec kit from Steeda - it just fits the situation better. I'll probably have doubts later on (I always do), but 1.5"-2.0" just seems like too much of a dip for my taste. There's a huge rain gutter where I live, and I just picture my bumper eating that S.O.B. every time I pull in. My neighbor's Eclipse left gouges deep in the incline that are still visible. If I find the SVT kit isn't enough to handle the weekend camping/law enforcement adventures, I suppose I'll just add a beefy set of sway bars.

This strange "automobile" thing is difficult to understand! It's easy with a bike...just twist that thing on the right and don't fall/get knocked off. Now I have FOUR wheels to deal with! HOW WILL I EVER MASS THIS KNOWLEDGE?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->