Spi engine chatter - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
b2tamer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105297
What I Drive: 2000, black, focus

FF Reputation: 1 b2tamer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Spi engine chatter

So yesterday I had my oil changed by a place in my town, usually I change it myself but I had to work, so after I got off work I pulled in my apartment parking lot and I could hear a clicking/ticking noise, it wasn't a loud thump or anything it was more of a chatter. This has happened before but only for about a day, is this something I should worry about or just keep driving? I really don't think its the valve seat because it has done it before and nothing bad happened. I had 5w30 oil put in if that makes a difference. Let me know what u guys think, I was planning on taking a trip pretty soon but now I'm scared too.

Sent from my VS910 4G using FF Mobile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
jkliphouse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103513
What I Drive: 2000 lx

FF Reputation: 1 jkliphouse Good Standing Member
did it do this at start up? my best advice engine is a ticking time bomb change the head out and save yourself time and money before it drops...mine did it at 90,000 and gave me a few signs that i didnt pay attention to... heads dot com got mine valves and all for 275..

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tamer View Post
So yesterday I had my oil changed by a place in my town, usually I change it myself but I had to work, so after I got off work I pulled in my apartment parking lot and I could hear a clicking/ticking noise, it wasn't a loud thump or anything it was more of a chatter. This has happened before but only for about a day, is this something I should worry about or just keep driving? I really don't think its the valve seat because it has done it before and nothing bad happened. I had 5w30 oil put in if that makes a difference. Let me know what u guys think, I was planning on taking a trip pretty soon but now I'm scared too.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
b2tamer
Focus Rookie

No it didn't do it at start up, about a hour ago I took my girlfriend to work and I didn't hear anything until I got home about 10 minutes later and I heard the noise again. Mine has 116k on it and I'm not so sure that the head hasn't already been changed because the last owner was a maintenance junkie. But it only cost you 275 for all the parts to fix the head?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
jkliphouse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103513
What I Drive: 2000 lx

FF Reputation: 1 jkliphouse Good Standing Member
yes 275 for head on ebay heads dot com and think 60 dollars for head gasket set with new bolts. If you wait and than it goes its a pain than u have to drop oil pan remove pistonout and hope it dont bend crank...so i would just change it out not hard at all get manual and label everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tamer View Post

Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
b2tamer
Focus Rookie

Okay,I'm trying to get ahold of the guy I bought the car from and see if he ever put a new head on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.